2012 4-g problems - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2020, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: wayne
Vehicle: 2012 eclipse,04 mustang,
allydriver1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down 2012 4-g problems

new to the 4-g and just purchased one with problems. what should the fuel trims be? car has a stumbling idle and if try to drive hard falls on its face if you stomp it. cuts completely out till you let off . if you ease into it you can take right up to redline. only code is random misfire.short term fuel trims are around 12 and trying to drop down. help an old tect out been retired for 20 years and haven't kept up with obd 2.

another problem when sitting still after a couple minutes the traction control will cut off (light comes on) switch it off and restart same results
allydriver1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2020, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Fuel trims should be 0. Deviation from 0 means it's either adding more fuel to make up for unmetered air, or pulling fuel to make up for less air than was expected

I know the TC light and all those symptoms can be related to a bad MAF on an OBD2 car.

How are your MAF values at idle? Voltage/flow, then does it go up with load and RPM properly? It sounds like it's running lean, and that's a lean burn/knock you have that is triggering the misfires

Elsewise, it could be a fuel filter, or fuel pump issue. But I've not known those to throw a TC light

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2020, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Maf

what should the maf readings be?

Old February 11th, 2020, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
Fuel trims should be 0. Deviation from 0 means it's either adding more fuel to make up for unmetered air, or pulling fuel to make up for less air than was expected

I know the TC light and all those symptoms can be related to a bad MAF on an OBD2 car.

How are your MAF values at idle? Voltage/flow, then does it go up with load and RPM properly? It sounds like it's running lean, and that's a lean burn/knock you have that is triggering the misfires

Elsewise, it could be a fuel filter, or fuel pump issue. But I've not known those to throw a TC light
On my hackish tune for my DC Sports CAI, I do have a +15% fuel trim, hackish did make it for the intake I have as to make the MAF scalings correct; dirty MAF? Clogged fuel filter?
It doesn't throw a code because it's still with 25% but I was jw, or it's totally possible that the MAF scaling in the tune really isn't correct
Could trick it by scaling the injectors smaller in the tune 15% but that's a hack
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2020, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Basically Stock

@Kyle

That's wrong. That is so definitely wrong. +15% means your O2 readings were lean, so it's adding 15% more fuel. That's almost enough to throw a check engine light. That leaves very little room for error if something were to ever happen. Go into your tune, disable closed loop, set your MAF scaling properly, and then enable closed loop again. It's a pain in the ass, but I had to for my 3.5" MAF. Also, "dirty" isn't a problem with this style of MAF. Every time it turns on, it does a full power heat cycle to clean itself. With that, if there was oil on it, it will burn up the wire. That's why it's important not to touch the MAF wire, and why you shouldn't use MAF cleaners on it. Most people are lucky and don't have issues with MAF cleaner, but also won't see benefits. Some people are unlucky, because the chance is there that some cleaner may have left a coating in one spot where it didn't full vaporize, and you get the hot spot, or permanently altered MAF values if the entire thing is coated, as it'll change how air moving across it affects it, so MAF scaling will be wrong

Could someone scan their car and grab a MAF idle value for him? Mine's away in storage, so I'm a little screwed on being able to help.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World

Last edited by Sabertooth^2; February 11th, 2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old February 11th, 2020, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Garrett
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS Spyder
iBlackSunday is on a distinguished road
When I leave for work in an hour I’ll grab a reading. I’ll edit this post.

EDIT:

Maintenance: Timing belt-118k | Auto Trans Fluid-131k | Spark Plugs+Grommets+Valve Cover Gasket-125k | Passenger CV Axle-144k | Mag Oil Plug-153k | Tires-159k | Soft Top-160k

Future Work: ???

Last Oil Change-159,030 (7/5/2020)
Valvoline 5w20 Full Synthetic + STP S2808XL

Last edited by Sabertooth^2; February 11th, 2020 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Edited for him while at away
iBlackSunday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2020, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

maf reading

well that's most likely the problem, this one is on .01 up to about 2k then at 3500 jumps to .4.. what do you think and thanks for helping this old critter out. will go to lkq tomorrow and pick up one. what all years will work 06-12?
mine is a 2.4 if that makes a diff

Last edited by allydriver1; February 11th, 2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old February 11th, 2020, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Basically Stock

V6 would be a little higher, but those were 4 cyl numbers. 06-12 are the same sensor, GT or GS

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old February 11th, 2020, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
@Kyle

That's wrong. That is so definitely wrong. +15% means your O2 readings were lean, so it's adding 15% more fuel. That's almost enough to throw a check engine light. That leaves very little room for error if something were to ever happen. Go into your tune, disable closed loop, set your MAF scaling properly, and then enable closed loop again. It's a pain in the ass, but I had to for my 3.5" MAF. Also, "dirty" isn't a problem with this style of MAF. Every time it turns on, it does a full power heat cycle to clean itself. With that, if there was oil on it, it will burn up the wire. That's why it's important not to touch the MAF wire, and why you shouldn't use MAF cleaners on it. Most people are lucky and don't have issues with MAF cleaner, but also won't see benefits. Some people are unlucky, because the chance is there that some cleaner may have left a coating in one spot where it didn't full vaporize, and you get the hot spot, or permanently altered MAF values if the entire thing is coated, as it'll change how air moving across it affects it, so MAF scaling will be wrong

Could someone scan their car and grab a MAF idle value for him? Mine's away in storage, so I'm a little screwed on being able to help.
Thanks for the info Saber, I have never sprayed MAF cleaner on the MAF sensor. And the tune is for my DC Sports CAI and says so in the notes page of the tuning software.
I think it was really about +13% last I checked but never throws any codes except my P0455 evap code
Old February 11th, 2020, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlackSunday View Post
When I leave for work in an hour Iíll grab a reading. Iíll edit this post.

EDIT:
Is that while driving or idle? driving right since there is throttle position?
Old February 11th, 2020, 10:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Negative. That's idle. The throttle is never fully closed at idle.

As for your tune, I'm gonna say it's wrong still though. I had mine with the same intake, and had LTFT around 5 usually. 0 is optimal. 0 codes, and zero vacuum leaks when tested with a boost leak tester (which will open up splits that close under vacuum, so is the easiest test method, NA or FI to find damage). Boosted, I managed to get mine to hover around 0 with further tuning. It can even be as simple as a nasty O2 sensor, or the 2 O2 sensors disagreeing. It depends which bank, or if it's both.

It won't affect power, it just leaves you with only half the fuel correction under 40% (I think it's 40% stock) throttle while it runs closed loop. Potentially, you may get better fuel economy if it were running proper (minimal)

EDIT:
At these throttle levels or higher, at the corresponding RPM (or 6000+, 500-), the car is open loop, so won't use O2 data anyway to form LTFT or STFT

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old February 12th, 2020, 07:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

I have replaced 3 of the 4 O2 sensors with the OEM Denso parts within the past 2 years and the data on the one I haven’t replaced yet looks good maybe a tad bit slow responsive wise but it oscillates correctly

How likely is it that it could be a clogged fuel filter?
Old February 12th, 2020, 08:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I don't know what gas is like in your area. But for $3, and being a regular maintenance item, it wouldn't hurt to change it

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old February 12th, 2020, 10:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know what gas is like in your area. But for $3, and being a regular maintenance item, it wouldn't hurt to change it
Who knows what the previous owners used for the first 120k miles before I had it, and I guarantee the filter is original.

Under rear seats right, pretty easy to pull out the fuel pump then? I've had the rear seats out before when I was running amp wires to pull the side plastic trims

Possible vacuum leak from 38mm wastegate blockoff plate on my throttle body for the air intake resonator delete?

I'd have to check this by seeing if the STFT goes negative or positive or negative while driving to see if it's a vacuum leak or fuel problem.

Last edited by pcfreak4; February 12th, 2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old February 12th, 2020, 11:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

btw i also just remembered that running high ethanol gas such as E10 or E15 rather than E0 will cause Positive LTFT, but how much?
Old February 12th, 2020, 11:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Enough that I was at +5 on E10, but, you can adjust your tune for your fuel still.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old February 12th, 2020, 11:55 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Enough that I was at +5 on E10, but, you can adjust your tune for your fuel still.
Ok thanks for that info
By injector scaling?
Old February 12th, 2020, 01:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Nah, because that would make your fuel trims wrong in open loop, so whenever it's actually important to get them right (otherwise, you can ruin the engine). Injector scaling is similar to how eBay turbo kits "tune" with variable fuel pressure.

You'll want to look at MAF scaling to make sure it adds the right amount of fuel per the amount of air coming in

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old February 12th, 2020, 02:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Nah, because that would make your fuel trims wrong in open loop, so whenever it's actually important to get them right (otherwise, you can ruin the engine). Injector scaling is similar to how eBay turbo kits "tune" with variable fuel pressure.

You'll want to look at MAF scaling to make sure it adds the right amount of fuel per the amount of air coming in
Wouldn’t the MAF scaling be correct since it’s in my tune notes that it’s for that intake?
Old February 12th, 2020, 03:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

https://www.club4g.org/board/perform...#/topics/27982

I put the block off plate on my TB like in this guide but was cheap and didn’t use the Permatex black silicone to seal it, is that likely my problem then? Vacuum leak there?
Old February 12th, 2020, 06:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I used a wastegate gasket in mine without issue. Without testing, it's hard to say if yours leaks. If you have no gasket and didn't machine the surfaces to match each other, it probably will leak.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old February 12th, 2020, 07:00 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I used a wastegate gasket in mine without issue. Without testing, it's hard to say if yours leaks. If you have no gasket and didn't machine the surfaces to match each other, it probably will leak.
I remember my LTFT jumping up to +12% when I started running 30% E85 on normal tune, I went full E85 with the injector scaling in the tune for the summer, now I’m back on the regular gas tune on gas and reset the ECU after running multiple tanks; all while having that block off plate on there like that
Now it’s higher on normal gas than the E30 was before, so I think the E85 loosened up crud in my gas tank and clogged my fuel filter
I will datalog LTFT at idle compared to driving and see if it goes down while driving which would indicate more like a vacuum leak, if it stays high + during driving just like idle then it’s probably a fueling issue
Old February 12th, 2020, 08:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
Basically Stock

It could be, but E85 and E10 are about the same for loosening crud in a fuel tank (based off of experiences working at a gas station when E10 became standard in Ontario)

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old February 23rd, 2020, 02:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Negative. That's idle. The throttle is never fully closed at idle.

As for your tune, I'm gonna say it's wrong still though. I had mine with the same intake, and had LTFT around 5 usually. 0 is optimal. 0 codes, and zero vacuum leaks when tested with a boost leak tester (which will open up splits that close under vacuum, so is the easiest test method, NA or FI to find damage). Boosted, I managed to get mine to hover around 0 with further tuning. It can even be as simple as a nasty O2 sensor, or the 2 O2 sensors disagreeing. It depends which bank, or if it's both.

It won't affect power, it just leaves you with only half the fuel correction under 40% (I think it's 40% stock) throttle while it runs closed loop. Potentially, you may get better fuel economy if it were running proper (minimal)

EDIT:
At these throttle levels or higher, at the corresponding RPM (or 6000+, 500-), the car is open loop, so won't use O2 data anyway to form LTFT or STFT
What table is that in Fastworks?

Tags
2012, art, car, code, drive, drop, fuel, idle, light, problem, problems, random, rims, short, switch, traction, traction control

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in