Low RPMs? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2020, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Walketfretts is on a distinguished road
Low RPMs?

So about 4 days ago I had my 2.4L Auto in for my routine inspection. Passed with flying colors. They gave me a check engine light but I cleared that with a ECU reset. But now for some reason when in first gear when I rev up to about 6,000 rpm it automatically drops my RPM all the way down to 3,000 even with full throttle. Maybe I'm just ignorant on whats going on or is there a problem I need to address? If I'm just dumb please be sure to tell me haha
Walketfretts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2020, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walketfretts View Post
So about 4 days ago I had my 2.4L Auto in for my routine inspection. Passed with flying colors. They gave me a check engine light but I cleared that with a ECU reset. But now for some reason when in first gear when I rev up to about 6,000 rpm it automatically drops my RPM all the way down to 3,000 even with full throttle. Maybe I'm just ignorant on whats going on or is there a problem I need to address? If I'm just dumb please be sure to tell me haha
I have the stock intake but I just changed out the filter for a KnW one. Could that do it? I'm still learning.
Old April 30th, 2020, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Basically Stock

It would have been very useful to have read that code, as that is probably crucial information to what's going on.

Whatever they played with that caused it to throw a code while in their possession is probably the issue. It could be as simple as a loose plug on the mivec solenoid, can position or crank position sensor.

Does it do it in sport tronic mode, or just when in drive? That'll separate some things. Also, I'm giving benefit of the doubt that you know it's not just shifting to the next gear, or skipping a gear.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 1st, 2020, 07:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
It would have been very useful to have read that code, as that is probably crucial information to what's going on.

Whatever they played with that caused it to throw a code while in their possession is probably the issue. It could be as simple as a loose plug on the mivec solenoid, can position or crank position sensor.

Does it do it in sport tronic mode, or just when in drive? That'll separate some things. Also, I'm giving benefit of the doubt that you know it's not just shifting to the next gear, or skipping a gear.
Yeah you're right. But after a day she seems to beack to Normal. It was unusually cold the other day and she has trouble revving I noticed after a cold start.
Old May 1st, 2020, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walketfretts View Post
Quote:

Yeah you're right. But after a day she seems to beack to Normal. It was unusually cold the other day and she has trouble revving I noticed after a cold start.
Cold temp outside will make the PCM shut off MIVEC, my car has like no power in the winter time because of this, but that’s fine because I don’t want to break my tires loose
But any other time it’s fine
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2020, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Basically Stock

No, it's cold coolant temperature. The outside sensors aren't used for that.

You could look at what your coolant temperature sensor readings look like, but you'll need an OBD scan tool.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old May 1st, 2020, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
No, it's cold coolant temperature. The outside sensors aren't used for that.

You could look at what your coolant temperature sensor readings look like, but you'll need an OBD scan tool.
You’re right
I just meant when it’s cold outside the car turns off MIVEC, because the coolant temp is so low, never happens to me except in winter

I just soldered on a new pigtail and got my ambient temp sensor back inside the bumper area for my A/C system, only the A/C system uses the ambient temp sensor, and there would be another ambient temp sensor if you have the temp reading in the dash clock but mine doesn’t
Old May 1st, 2020, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Name: Richard.
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS 2.4
Sparda D'Mon is on a distinguished road
That is very interesting because my car seems to love winter and seems to be more responsive when sucking cold air. I dont get snow over here in San Antonio, mind you.
Sparda D'Mon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 1st, 2020, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparda D'Mon View Post
That is very interesting because my car seems to love winter and seems to be more responsive when sucking cold air. I dont get snow over here in San Antonio, mind you.
Colder air is more dense
Requires more fuel tho
Old May 1st, 2020, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Stock, the car will add the fuel. MAF sensors can account for colder alone. Then O2 sensors would also adjust for lean conditions by adding more fuel.

If your MIVEC isn't working in the cold, and your coolant is over 0c, that's very odd. You really shouldn't even consider using the MIVEC range below full coolant temperature even. When my coolant hits 185f, my oil is still only 120f. Oil takes way longer to warm

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old May 2nd, 2020, 12:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Never notice fuel consumption as i dont drive it as much. As i mentioned before, it's my DD but i drive it as if it were my weekend car due to my job. It's good to know the car protects itself by keeping MIVEC at bay when very cold. Another reason to praise our hidden gem.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 05:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah if it’s cold enough to turn off MIVEC in the winter, you won’t want to be beating on it like that anyway because you’re oil will be cold

I drive mine like a grandma in the winter lol
Old May 2nd, 2020, 08:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Move dwn over here to Texas and you wont have to worry about it. Then we drag down Saber next. 😂🤣
Old May 2nd, 2020, 09:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak4 View Post
Yeah if it’s cold enough to turn off MIVEC in the winter, you won’t want to be beating on it like that anyway because you’re oil will be cold

I drive mine like a grandma in the winter lol
Only when the oil is cold. Once it's warm, drive however you need.

As for winter fuel economy, it's mostly unchanged. Denser air will provide more resistance, as will snow. I gain about 1L/100km from the cold while cruising 50mph, and then have added up to 4L/100km from pushing snow. This is on a car that does 4L/100km at 50mph in the summer. As for the denser intake charge, that'll make more power and get more fuel. But would mean that you'll need less throttle to accelerate. So you'll just not hit the gas as hard instinctively, otherwise you'd be speeding all the time.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in