Headers to solve P0431 - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2020, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

its_a_gt_bruh is on a distinguished road
Headers to solve P0431

Hey guys I just bought a white 08 gt. Beautiful car. I joined club4g to tap into the wealth of eclipse-specific knowledge here and it’s been incredibly helpful. Thank you all.

So here’s my current issue...
Right after I got the car home the SES light came on and code P0431 came up. I did some reading on here and came to the conclusion that I need to replace the exhaust manifold/pre-cat on the front bank. It seems only logical that the rear manifold will fail soon too. So I’ve decided to install aftermarket headers to solve the issue for good, and squeeze a little extra power out of my baby at the same time...

I contacted RRE and, to my dismay, they informed me that they are sold out of gt headers and won’t be making any more for quite a while. I haven’t heard anything good about OBX headers, and I was wondering if there are better options available. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks.
its_a_gt_bruh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2020, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Basically Stock

You're stuck with those 2 choices. RRE ones pop up for sale now and then though

In either case, you're gonna need a tune to disable the rear O2 checks to remove the code. Fastworks is who tunes 4G eclipse

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2020, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Good news! I talked to RRE again and I got the last set available. So my question now is do the spacers for the downstream o2 sensors not make up for the difference in headers? And can I run them with the stock tune?

Old May 12th, 2020, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Also, about how much would it cost to tune my car? Is it something that can be done with a laptop and a cord or does it have to be done in person? It would be nice to have the light gone so I’ll notice if another issue pops up, but I’m not terribly concerned about the light itself. I’m putting the headers on because the pre-cat is so plugged up that my car feels like it’s having a hard time accelerating from around 2500 to 3500 rpm.
Old May 12th, 2020, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by its_a_gt_bruh View Post
Also, about how much would it cost to tune my car? Is it something that can be done with a laptop and a cord or does it have to be done in person? It would be nice to have the light gone so I’ll notice if another issue pops up, but I’m not terribly concerned about the light itself. I’m putting the headers on because the pre-cat is so plugged up that my car feels like it’s having a hard time accelerating from around 2500 to 3500 rpm.
Tactrix 2.0 and Fastworks
$180 for cable and $350 for NA tune, editor, logger, more $$ for turbo tune

You can do serious engine damage driving on clogged pre cats btw
pcfreak4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2020, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Funny. I've talked to dozens of people who got the last set too, hahaha.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old May 13th, 2020, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well if that’s their tactic, then it works. I bought them quick, fast, and in a hurry. Thanks for the info.
Old May 13th, 2020, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Name: Richard.
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS 2.4
Sparda D'Mon is on a distinguished road
The market section of the forum sometimes has good deals on parts other 4G members are parting with. But nothing beats new, right? Also, i think Michael (Hackish) can provide an eco tune for your GT in case things get hairy with gas prices in the future. If not worried about gas then he can still tune your GT for a nice power squeeze and will make your baby a beast. My GS runs alot more smoother with Fastworks tune.
Sparda D'Mon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 13th, 2020, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Basically Stock

It's the same tune. You can't add power to NA unless you make it run more efficiently.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old May 13th, 2020, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
It's the same tune. You can't add power to NA unless you make it run more efficiently.
Yeah the tune literally just makes the fueling table target AFRs leaner, and smooths pit and increases ignition timing, rev limiter and speed limiter, cat code modification

Leaning it out makes more power and better gas mileage, downside for EPA is that the cats don’t work as well because they take way longer to heat up and work properly, that’s why the stock tune is so rich

The only way you can make more power on an NA car is to lean it out and increase timing as much as you can safely for the octane of fuel it’s going to run, higher octane can allow a little more timing advance that’s all

Boosted is another story completely

NA: eco tune = power tune pretty much

I know the boosted cars like the WRX which require premium, people will make an ECO tune to lock the boost controller and wastegate to make low boost, lower ignition timing and maybe richen fuel so that they can run lower octane fuel than premium, helps save money

I guess the Eclipse GT could benefit from leaning out and reducing timing to run 87 oct efficiently for an Eco tune that still makes good power, more timing for more power with premium octane

Same for GS, although it’s made to come from factory for 87 oct on its tune, it can be made premium only just like the GT by increasing spark timing, but that’s more cost for a few HP, depends if it’s worth it to you or not, it’s not for me personally
Old May 13th, 2020, 10:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Name: Richard.
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS 2.4
Sparda D'Mon is on a distinguished road
It all comes down to how much cash you have and want to spend. Me? Im the poorest mofo on Sesame Street. 😂🤣
Sparda D'Mon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 15th, 2020, 02:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

I took some pictures of my downstream o2 sensor voltage graphs from a handheld scanner. Could someone tell me if these are indicative of a plugged pre-cat? Something definitely seems off here, but I’m not exactly a mechanic and diagnosing problems isn’t my strong suit...

Edit: these readings were taken at ~2000 rpm

Last edited by its_a_gt_bruh; May 15th, 2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old May 15th, 2020, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I took some pictures of my downstream o2 sensor voltage graphs from a handheld scanner. Could someone tell me if these are indicative of a plugged pre-cat? Something definitely seems off here, but I’m not exactly a mechanic and diagnosing problems isn’t my strong suit...

Edit: these readings were taken at ~2000 rpm
Bank 2 looks clogged, not enough range there, and not in the correct range

Do you have a code P0431?
If not, that could still mean your cat is clogged, as those cat codes are more commonly tripped by the cat allowing too much exhaust through as in the case of the cat breaking apart or not existing at all, rather than when it clogs up too much

Last edited by pcfreak4; May 15th, 2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old May 16th, 2020, 07:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, pcfreak. It’s showing p0431 and another code for power steering pressure switch. It’s got a rough idle too, and slow acceleration/bad throttle response in mid to low range rpm. Is there a way to confirm this is the problem?
Old May 16th, 2020, 10:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, pcfreak. It’s showing p0431 and another code for power steering pressure switch. It’s got a rough idle too, and slow acceleration/bad throttle response in mid to low range rpm. Is there a way to confirm this is the problem?
Definitely try changing out the O2 sensor(s) with new Denso OEM ones first, get the part numbers off of Rockauto; especially the bank 2 sensor 2 after cat

But I'm gonna say your cat on bank 2 is definitely clogged

4cyl or 6cyl btw? 6 I assume based on your username?

Power steering switch won't cause any running issue with the engine, if your steering is still working fine then it's safe to say the pressure switch just went bad, although check your power steering system manually (good fluid level, no weird noises when turning, serpentine belt in good condition, PS pulley turns with belt and isn't seized, no leaks)

Edit: how old are your spark plugs?

Last edited by pcfreak4; May 16th, 2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old May 18th, 2020, 09:10 AM   #16 (permalink)

It’s a 6 cyl. I’m not sure how old the spark plugs are. I bought the car a couple weeks ago and haven’t done much to it since. Last weekend’s project was changing a wheel bearing. This weekend hopefully my headers will be here. I’ll change plugs while I’m at it.

Not sure about getting a new downstream o2 if I’m installing RRE headers. It seems like the headers and spacers setup is likely to cause issues, and I’d be wasting money (that my broke ass doesn’t have) on a new denso sensor.

I topped off the PS fluid a week ago and it’s still full. No visible issues with the system and it drives fine.
Old May 18th, 2020, 11:12 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
It’s a 6 cyl. I’m not sure how old the spark plugs are. I bought the car a couple weeks ago and haven’t done much to it since. Last weekend’s project was changing a wheel bearing. This weekend hopefully my headers will be here. I’ll change plugs while I’m at it.

Not sure about getting a new downstream o2 if I’m installing RRE headers. It seems like the headers and spacers setup is likely to cause issues, and I’d be wasting money (that my broke ass doesn’t have) on a new denso sensor.

I topped off the PS fluid a week ago and it’s still full. No visible issues with the system and it drives fine.
The spark plugs on the 6 cyl are a bitch compared to the 4 cyl

Are your O2 sensors Denso brand or are they something else?
Old May 19th, 2020, 03:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

I’m not sure. I bought the car used a few weeks ago. Its service history is a complete mystery to me. I won’t know until I install those headers.
Old May 19th, 2020, 08:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I’m not sure. I bought the car used a few weeks ago. Its service history is a complete mystery to me. I won’t know until I install those headers.
U could look at them

They’re also cheap on rockauto and amazon compared to an auto parts store
Like $25 instead of $100
Old May 19th, 2020, 11:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Don't forget the 5% discount in the vendor section either

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in