HELP! 09 with 2.4L Multiple codes, runs rough, won't react to throttle at all, etc - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2020, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mike8765 is on a distinguished road
HELP! 09 with 2.4L Multiple codes, runs rough, won't react to throttle at all, etc

I have a 2009 with the 2.4L that after pulling into the driveway the other night the check engine light came on and it started idling rough as hell. I shut it off and restarted it. It started back up but ran rough as hell, tach was at around 1000rpms but it felt like 150-200, it would finally sputter then die but will restart every time. I can move the gas pedal slow or fast, pump the heck out of it, nothing has any effect. It had no cel or codes before this, now it has the following codes...
P0642 Sensor Reference Voltage "A" circuit low
P0606 Control module processor
P2138 Accelerator pedal position sensor 1/2 correlation
P2123 Accelerator pedal position 1 circuit high
P2253 O2 Sensor 1/1 Negative Current control circuit high

I cleared the codes with my scanner, also left the battery unhooked overnight and got back to it tonight. As soon as I turned the key on after the codes were cleared and plugged in my scan tool I got all codes except P0606, it came back after I started the car until it died

My OBD scanner has some digital gauges on it, the throttle one shows 99 out of 100 (it was a snapshot so I don't know if it would've varied), Air flow showed 2 out of 40, intake manifold pressure showed 22.5 out of 25

Under the snapshot text readout it shows....

Intake Manifold absolute pressure (InHg) 29.31
Engine RPM 0
Spark advance 61 degrees
IAT 84.2 degrees F
Mass airflow sensor LB/M 0
Absolute throttle position 0

When I got the car the air filter and duct from the airbox to the front was missing so I thought maybe something got in the maf, I took it out and it looked perfect. I carefully cleaned it anyways, no difference

With the air duct removed when you start the engine I can see the large metal circle in the throttle body where the large air duct attaches open slightly but it doesn't move at all when I push the gas pedal in and out. If I slide my screwdriver in there to hold it open more the car actually runs almost smooth and is at about 3300rpm, while it's like that it does rev a little higher when I push the gas pedal and back down when I left off but maybe only a 500rpm difference. I reached my finger in there and opened and closed the large metal circle at the beginning of the thottle body (Sorry I don't know the name) the rpms would vary a few thousand rpms but it would bog down really bad when it was open a lot which I would expect with the air duct off and the maf laying loose, etc.. I've tried unplugging the maf, iat, etc one at a time and notice no difference. I am guessing something is shorted or low resistance on that 5v line that all of those sensors are on or maybe my PCM is shot, has anyone ran across this before and have any ideas of what else I can check? Maybe a copy of the schematic for that line that all of those sensors are off of or a pinout of the pcm so I can see if the 5v is low? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Mike8765 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2020, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Jay
Vehicle: 07 eclipse gs turbo
Jayallen is on a distinguished road
If I had to guess it would have something to do with your throttle position sensor. You could read this. Sorry for not be much help. Hope you figure out the problem.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...y-andrew-quinn
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jayallen; July 13th, 2020 at 09:24 PM.
Jayallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 13th, 2020, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for that code list, I’ll do some digging through the FSM, it’s available for free on Tearstone btw if u wanna look yourself

1st of all, be very careful about sticking your fingers inside the throttle plate, those things have enough torque to chop your finger off

2. U bought the car with most of the intake already missing? So someone sold it knowing it had these problems?

Just wanna say right away that a P0606 could be related to a failing engine computer, which could be causing all of the other issues

P0606 and P0642 in the FSM have causes listed as a failed PCM/ECU unfortunately

My guess is that for some reason, the throttle voltage signal circuit inside the PCM/ECU blew up, could’ve been a fluke, could’ve been user error or messed up or shorted out wiring by the previous owner or mechanic messing around with live wiring, idk

So just to clarify, u bought this car and it already had this issues? I hope u got a good deal on it as a mechanics special

I also want to point out that PCM/ECU failure on these cars is extremely uncommon, which leads me to believe that someone working on the car goofed something up by crossing some throttle wires with the power still connected and possibly the key on as well

Do the tests listed in the FSM for the throttle position sensor codes, testing the throttle position sensor Ohms readings to see if they’re good and change according to pedal movement

Pray that it’s just a bad throttle sensor and not your PCM/ECU

Is your car an auto or manual trans?

Last edited by pcfreak4; July 13th, 2020 at 10:13 PM.
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 13th, 2020, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for replying. The car ran fine for 6 months after I got it. I put an air filter in it as soon as I noticed it missing. It's an automatic transmission. I'll look up the service manual. Thx for the advice
Old July 13th, 2020, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

I can get a used pcm on ebay for $40 shipped but I'm guessing I will have to initialize it then program the transponder for it. Does anyone know if that can be done with a SnapOn Solus? I can borrow one from a friend if so
Old July 14th, 2020, 06:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8765 View Post
I can get a used pcm on ebay for $40 shipped but I'm guessing I will have to initialize it then program the transponder for it. Does anyone know if that can be done with a SnapOn Solus? I can borrow one from a friend if so
1. It has to be for the exact same year as your car
2. It has to be for an automatic, u can’t use a manual one since your car is automatic
3. The VIN number will need to be reprogrammed into it with your VIN
4. The immobilizer system code will need to be resynchronized or defeated with other methods
5. Your keys will need to be reprogrammed to the immobilizer or defeated with said other methods

I’m not sure what the SnapOn can do for this car, but this might be something a dealer with an MUT3 will need to do for u, but, they will refuse to use a junkyard engine, and will require you to buy a brand new PCM
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 25th, 2020, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

I finally got a free day to work on this thing. I ended up buying the service manual online because the one at tearstone was missing most of section 13a.
I checked the throttle actuator motor for continuity between pins 1 and 2 and it's good. I unhooked the 2 wires going to it and checked for voltage with the car running and there was no voltage even when you press the accelerator pedal. Then while leaving those wires unhooked I hooked 12volts to those pins and the car revved up like it should, of course it hit the rev limited because I put a full 12volts on there but it didn't sound like it was misfiring or anything like that as it revved up. So I'm not getting voltage to it from the pcm. The P0642 code is for no voltage to the throttle position sensor so I'm trying to trace that down but I can't find the pinout for the tps (The one mounted to the back of the accelerator pedal) anywhere in the service manual. Does anyone know where I can find a pinout for the pcm so I can see if a voltage going into it is missing and see if the voltage for the tps is present at the ecrm (Maybe I have a broken wire between the pcm and tps?)

Thanks,
Mike
Old July 25th, 2020, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

UPDATE- The car now runs perfectly fine but the 2 small ground wires that attach to the chassis between the pcm and fusebox are getting super hot. I had removed the pcm and put it back in to look for corrosion in any of the plugs going to it. When I put it back in the car started and ran but a little smoke came from the area near that ground wire so I took the ground off, cleaned the terminal til it shined, scraped the paint off to bare clean metal underneath and put it back on. It gets hot in a matter of seconds. I'm assuming there is a dead short somewhere. Now I just have to track it down.
Old July 27th, 2020, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Running a 4 gauge ground from the negative battery terminal to the engine block and replacing the terminal on the small ground wires next to the fuse box under the hood fixed it. Runs fine, no codes, small ground wires no longer get hot and smoke. Thanks for all the help.
Old October 12th, 2020, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Name: David
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS Spyder
Frostbyte07 is on a distinguished road
Im having issues with a P2138 code . Can you tell me exactally where ( maybe a picture ) of the grounds you fixed ? This is driving me nuts . Thanks For Any Help You Can Provide !
Frostbyte07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2020, 09:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

Name: David
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS Spyder
Frostbyte07 is on a distinguished road
Did this look similar ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201013_212443_1602772842309.jpg (32.4 KB, 6 views)
Frostbyte07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2.4l, 2009, air, air filter, back, bad, battery, body, car, cel, check engine light, engine, engine light, fast, filter, gas, intake, light, maf, manifold, move, o2 sensor, pedal, sensors, throttle body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in