Clear Coat Issues - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2020, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
MDM

MDM is on a distinguished road
Clear Coat Issues

Hello all,

I've got a few clear coat problems that I am looking for guidance/suggestions on.

One's a doozy. Well I guess they are both bad. But this one is something I should have taken care of sooner. Basically the coat is chipping off of my driver side mirror:

The other one is one I found today while trying to take care of a bunch of water spots around my car. Not too happy with this as I didn't notice it until now.

Are there any solutions I can apply to either of these or am I out of luck?

I am also open to any good suggestions to tackling water spots as well as the one I have been using has not been working well. Or at least, it's been a major project, taking about a week now to attend to it. It's better than what it was, but it's been a lot of work to get to where it's at. This is what I have been using, FWIW.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OBVS2K/

Also, as for the vehicle: 2009 Rave Red

Thank you for any assistance/insight you can provide.

Last edited by MDM; August 16th, 2020 at 09:24 AM.
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2020, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
MDM

Holy closeup those images are ginormous... I don't see a way to make them smaller either, sorry about that!

EDIT: fixed it.

Last edited by MDM; August 16th, 2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old August 16th, 2020, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Wow that’s pretty bad

Not even my 2006 silver looks that bad and it always sits outside, just a few paint chip issues that needed touch up paint
pcfreak4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 16th, 2020, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Basically Stock

For your mirror: LIGHTLY wet sand the area, clean it, then re-clear. 1000 grit should be a good go

For the body: I'm not sure exactly what that is or how deep. It may even polish out.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 16th, 2020, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

The rear bumper is a paint crack from something hitting it imo, my front bumper has one
Old August 16th, 2020, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Absolutely could be, sounds totally reasonable. That would need to have all the paint sanded away then re-done

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 18th, 2020, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
MDM

Bleh... still getting used to this forum as I thought I had instant notifications with replies and am just now seeing these. Thanks to both who replied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak4 View Post
Wow thatís pretty bad
yeah. I didn't notice it until the end of this past winter when I had to do a doubletake to survey the damage. Not sure if it was the sun or the cold that got to it. I live in a full house and am the odd one out with the car, so it sits outside in the elements all day. Surprised the whole car isn't like this, TBH, but glad it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
For your mirror: LIGHTLY wet sand the area, clean it, then re-clear. 1000 grit should be a good go
OK sounds like I need to purchase some product. I am more than open to any suggestions/recos/brands in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak4 View Post
The rear bumper is a paint crack from something hitting it imo, my front bumper has one
Yeah this one was tricky to shoot. It's definitely in the clear coat as I can stick my finger in it and pick at it (not that I actually do that). It does have the look of getting hit by something and the design is a bit of a star.

So reading the comments here, it seems like this is beyond a simple re-polish? That I would have to sand it down and reapply?
Old August 18th, 2020, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yup
Old August 18th, 2020, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pretty Pretty Panda

Name: Nikki
Vehicle: 08GT SE 6spd,91 3KGT Vr4
nikkizixxer is a glorious beacon of lightnikkizixxer is a glorious beacon of lightnikkizixxer is a glorious beacon of lightnikkizixxer is a glorious beacon of light
I had the same issue with my mirrors. It was cheaper to replace them with new ones then have a paint shop prep and repaint, luckily my car is black and I was able to find a place out of NC selling new ones.
6SPD M/T Black on Black GT SE. Mods: 6000K HID Low Beams, 6000K HID Fog Kit, Custom Grille Kit, Custom Suede Headliner, Vinyl Wrapped A &B Pillars and Faceplate, Custom Headlights, Sickspeed Fender Washers, Injen Long Tube CAI, P&P Intake Manifold, 09+ wheels powder coated in Intense Blue
nikkizixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2020, 09:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
MDM

Thanks for the confirmation @pcfreak4.

I've been pulling some YouTube videos on clearcoat repair and it does seem intimidating, or at least more than I am comfortable with doing ATM. Especially after all my "luck" with the popped up dash and misadventures of glue, hobby and otherwise.

After reading @nikkizixxer's suggestion I think that might be a good route. I turned up this on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233664958817

However upon contacting the seller that appears to be Sunset (M03a) as opposed to my Rave Red (P36), although from the pictures that vehicle does look Rave Red.

Anyways, turns out I have a friend in the area that claims to have "a guy" for this sorta stuff, so I am going to get a quote on doing the clear for me. Will update here with any further news.
Old August 21st, 2020, 10:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Name: Richard.
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS 2.4
Sparda D'Mon is on a distinguished road
~takes note~ 1,000 grit. I have that too just not on those spots and im ready to fix i cause i bought a can of gloss clearcoat. One of my outside windshield colums is broken and want to fix it.
Sparda D'Mon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 2nd, 2020, 10:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
MDM

Alright, I ended up eating it this time around. I'm OK with it as this is really the only incidental expenditure I've had with this vehicle having owned it since 2008.

$150 to get it redone and at this point after my ordeal with the dash + super glue it's money well spent for the peace of mind and having a somewhat "whole" vehicle again.

Thanks again to all for their comments/suggestions. I'm a fan of this board!

Tags
2009, amazon, bad, clear, clear coat, driver, good, ice, issue, issues, mirror, open, problems, project, suggestions, water, water spots, working

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in