Spyder Convertible Top Replacement - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Spyder Specific

Spyder Specific Discussion for those Eclipses that go topless.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2020, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Garrett
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS Spyder
iBlackSunday is on a distinguished road
Spyder Convertible Top Replacement

So I just replaced the convertible top on my 2007 Spyder GS. If anybody has any questions, throw them in here and I'll do my best to answer them. Here are some pictures I took while in the process and after. I bought the top for $350 plus taxes.

A few issues I had was getting the top aligned correctly and not having it lopsided and have those pull wrinkles in it when shut. I had to re-adjust the top and attach the head liner 2-3 times before it came out perfect. I'm assuming the top will stretch and settle over time with water also, but there is one specific area I'm still having trouble with. On the driver side where it curves down to attach to the last bar that touches the trunk there is a plastic wing that slides into this slot. It's too tight for it to fit in there perfect, and without help, it sticks out. You can sort of see it in the finished outside picture. The only thing I can think of to fix it is to clamp that corner with something and force it to retain memory of that shape. I'm also hoping over time of it being installed it will become a little more stretchy and not as stiff and allow for more adjustment in the future.

It wasn't too bad of a job, the largest part was drilling out the rivots, I made some holes of my own which weren't meant to happen, but I got all but 2 of the rivots in and it closes nicely. I'm also hoping it becomes stretchier because the back bar that locks the top up against the back cover/trunk area seems to have a TINY gap. I'm hoping it just needs to become a little more malleable and it'll settle and adjust.

Some information I found recently is that when replacing a convertible top, there is a 'break-in' period where everything stretches and changes to accommodate the new fabric. Once installed and everything is the way they need to be, you do not open it for ~2 weeks. Once that is done, you are free to open and close your top and make sure it is functioning correctly. I have 2 issues with my top. One is the wing getting caught when the stow cover is attempting to come up and when closing, the driver side flap that moves when opening/closing doesn't open wide enough and it snags on the body.

Anybody have any suggestions for the issues I'm having? Seems I have banana dash AND banana top. Oh no!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a6wakmZ.jpg (41.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg bOdEAHB.jpg (63.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DHsF8pK.jpg (49.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg eaSd2wV.jpg (18.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg YpqFCXz.jpg (73.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg xbvUDFD.jpg (34.6 KB, 4 views)

Maintenance: Timing belt-118k | Auto Trans Fluid-131k | Spark Plugs+Grommets+Valve Cover Gasket-125k | Passenger CV Axle-144k | Mag Oil Plug-153k | Tires-159k | Soft Top-160k

Future Work: ???

Last Oil Change-159,030 (7/5/2020)
Valvoline 5w20 Full Synthetic + STP S2808XL

Last edited by iBlackSunday; July 18th, 2020 at 09:58 PM.
iBlackSunday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
07 spyder, 2007, 2007 spyder, convertible, head, issues, pictures, questions, replacement, spyder, spyder gs, top, water

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in