Front brake hardware on rear wheels? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension Slip and slide discussion

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2020, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Kevin
Vehicle: 2008 Eclispe GT 6MT
#TampaEclipse is on a distinguished road
Front brake hardware on rear wheels?

TL;DR - has anyone 'big-braked' the rear brakes on their cars by using the brake hardware from the front? Would this be a cheap way to upgrade your rear brakes if you used your old front hardware on the rears while replacing the fronts with a big brake kit? Context follows.

So I've been eyeing a big brake kit for my car as a possible future upgrade but have been put off by the prices or compromises needed to make this work for a while. Based on prior experience, I am not inclined to use the Brembos from an Evo and would rather use a kit designed for the Eclipse. I have two concerns about the Evo brakes; TMU it requires wheels with a 10mm smaller offset from stock which I won't accommodate because I like my current wheels and it took a lot of work to make sure I had all the right hardware for installation; and based on prior experience, I do not want to use brakes designed for a lighter car on a heavier one, even if they're larger and have better calipers. I did that song and dance before with my second car and it resulted in yearly brake services because the pads and rotors weren't up to the extra 500lbs.

The problem with a new kit is obviously price; stop-tech's big brake kit would cost $5k to do both front and rears. K-Sport can get me there for about $2k less but that's still a hell of a lot of money for a car that I could probably only get 5ishK for if I tried to sell it today.

I was recently watching Dirt Every Day and something Dave Chappelle did on one of their recent project trucks set off a light bulb; they took an old Mazda B-series and turned it into a rock crawler with straight axles, and used the original rear axle as the front and added a Dyna(trac) 80 as a new rear axle. That got me to thinking; both Stoptech and KSports rear brake upgrade are single-piston calipers just like our fronts; perhaps a cheap way to upgrade the rears instead of buying one of those kits could be to just put my old fronts on the rear.

Has anyone done something like this, or tried it and found problems when doing so? I think if it can be done and doesn't goof with things like ABS activation, it might be a solid way to upgrade your entire brake kit for the cost of a front big brake kit and replacing some worn parts.
#TampaEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2020, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Basically Stock

While I totally disagree with your reasons to avoid the evo brakes, I'm quite interested in seeing if a set of fronts would fit on the rear too

(the evo brakes are designed for much higher load than our stock ones, so that isn't an issue. What you may have experienced on your other car is that the brake balance and bias were not similar enough between the two vehicles, which an Evo and Eclipse are, especially the GS)

If you do the swap, you may have to play around with pad and rotor types to find ones that have the proper braking bias for your needs at the track. But it's doable.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2020, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gamer

Name: Colten
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse GS 5 Speed
cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
Subbed, interesting subject and something I want to look into as well

Old January 12th, 2020, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Chris
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GS
NamelessFoe will become famous soon enough
The main problem you are going to run into is fitment and the ability of the existing master cylinder and abs module to produce enough pressure. The front caliper piston is roughly twice the size of the rear.
NamelessFoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 27th, 2020, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

I don't want to try to drill too deeply on this right now. Bigger brakes are on the to-do list, but that list is a bit long and it's last. If I can get to it I'll be more than happy to share my experience, but I also wanted to throw this out there just in case someone else wanted to take a crack at applying the idea in case I never get around to it.

I won't debate whether or not the brakes can hold up Saber; if I'm honest with myself, I believe you and they're probably just fine. But I would still have the problem with wheel fitment, I really like the wheels I put on mine and to my understanding the K-Sports kits fit behind the stock wheels, and that's the first reason. When I had this problem before it wasn't an upgrade I had done to the car. My second vehicle was a 1988(.5, AKA the 1988 with the 1989 body style) Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. This car from factory came with the brake hardware from a Chevy Cavalier; those Cavs weighed about 2800lbs while the Cutlass weighed 3300 and the brakes just weren't up for the job; the front and rears wore at the same rate, just way too fast. On the other hand,the Evo rotors are bigger, thicker, and the calipers push on both sides of the pad. To me, I'd rather pay the money and go with a designed solution, then save a few bucks in exchange for hours of frustration trying to custom-fit a set of brakes not originally designed for this car. I know enough about how to do this kind of work, but applying that knowledge usually leads me right to frustration the first time something doesn't go as intended.

Last edited by #TampaEclipse; January 27th, 2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old January 27th, 2020, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Wheel fitment would definitely be an issue. You need 38 offset or less with the evo brembos, depending on barrel design.

I'm not so sure that there is any aftermarket "designed" solution though. They're usually quite generic, and ours are probably ones for an STi or Evo that have been re-branded, as it's in the best interest of the company to just do a single part that fits as many vehicles as possible

What you'd do is combine a brake proportioning valve in, so you can control the front/rear bias.

Edit: I looked it up. They ARE the same generic ones as Evo and STi, but have proportioning valves inside them

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World

Last edited by Sabertooth^2; January 27th, 2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old January 27th, 2020, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Good to know, I'll have to consider wheels if I go forward with a big brake upgrade.
Old January 27th, 2020, 11:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Fast Wheels sells some that are a really great deal. FC04 is the model number, they're flow formed (better than standard cast) and fairly light

I'm planning to run a set of those with +30 or +35 offset, 9.5-10" wide... Even at 10" wide 18" diameter, they're 21lbs. The 8.5*18 I run right now are 32lbs (I wish I was joking)

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old January 29th, 2020, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

That sounds like a pretty good wheel. I'm running Motegi MR131 TracLites at 18x8. They're 18.7 per corner, flow-formed, and look similar to some of the 2G styles Mitsu sold on the Eclipse back then. I'm probably more in love with my wheels than I should be.

Tags
axles, brake, brakes, bulb, calipers, cars, eclipse, evo, installation, king, kit, kits, money, offset, original, parts, problem, problems, rear, sell, stock, straight, tire, wheels, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in