Brembo Swap Preflight - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension Slip and slide discussion

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2011, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sin
Bitches Love a Sinner

Name: BJ
Vehicle: 2008 SE-X
Sin is a name known to allSin is a name known to allSin is a name known to allSin is a name known to allSin is a name known to all
Thumbs up Brembo Swap Preflight

***UPDATED 10/5/11 See Below***

Okay, so this thread is in response to the lack of centralized information regarding the swapping of EVO Brembos onto a 4G.

I have had a hell of an experience with McClipseGT (Gary) making this work and would like to share my findings with the forum. This was supposed to be a "how-to", but the issues that came about created more work and there was no time for step-by-step pictures. Changing brakes and calipers are pretty straight forward though if you or a friend know what you're doing. Lots of resources on the net and some on C4G too. Nevertheless, we got it and Gary is a saint for finding ways to make it work. Without him this write-up would not be possible, so all "thanks" and cred go to him.

This was done to accommodate 06-08 OEM 18" rims. I plan to alter this post as information presents itself, so if anyone can chime in on the usage of 09+ rims I'll make the notations.

First off, please note these are my findings. Use to develop your swap at your own risk. Just covering my ass

Here we go...

Parts Checklist:
  1. Front Wheel Hubcentric Spacers - ICHIBA WHEEL SPACERS V2 20MM (at least) 12x1.50 5X114.3 5 LUG 67.1 *** (see text below)
  2. Rear Wheel Hubcentric Spacers - Not required to clear rear Brembo calipers, but your stance will be haggard. I recommend getting the same ones as in the front.
  3. Stainless Steel Brake Lines - 4G Eclipse or Evo SS lines will work (not required, but better overall)
  4. Front Pins & Clip Set - Mitsu part #MR475935
  5. Rear Pins & Clip Set - Mitsu part #MR475936
  6. Brake Fluid - Dot 3/4
  7. Locktite - Medium Hold (Blue; use to hold nuts to bolts of hubcentric spacers better)
  8. Brakleen - 2 to 3 Cans (used to clean brake area before and after putting new rotors on)
  9. Front Bolt Washers - Mitsu part #MR407072 (need 4 of these)
  10. Front Bolts- Mitsu part #MR370729 (need 4 of these)
  11. Rear Bolt Washers - Mitsu part #MR407073 (need 4 of these)
  12. Rear Bolts - Mitsu part #MR370730 (need 4 of these)
  13. Rear Brake Pads - Evo 8 or 9 rear ceramics
  14. Front Brake Pads - Evo 8 or 9 front ceramics
  15. Front Rotors - Shop Evo 8 or 9 rotors for correct size
  16. Rear Rotors - Shop Evo 8 or 9 rotors for correct size
  17. Evo 8 or 9 Brembo Calipers w/ Seals - New or Used (if used check to make sure seals are in good shape)
  18. 2 Ton Set of Jackstands
  19. Impact Driver (not pictured)- For removing bolts holding in OEM rotors

Parts Checklist Tips:
  • Cheaping out on pads and rotors will have its consequences. I bought rotors and pads set from eBay to save a little bit since everything else cost so much and now I am paying for it. My brakes screech like a mutha every time I pull out from a cold start. Really f'n loud. After one hard brake at then end of my street, it stops for the rest of the drive. I can only attribute this to the pads/rotors. They also retain rust like it's their job. Hoping that will go away with time.
  • Don't get carried away with the jack stands. 6 ton ones sound like they'll hold the car no problem, but in the end they are to big to get under the car. 2 ton ones work perfect and makes life simple.
  • Even though the offset numbers from the 06-08 18" OEM rims make sense with 15mm spacers, they will not clear. I bought two sets of 15mm spacers only to find out that the shape of the rim at the center curves a few mm too soon. Basically it'll rub and that's no good. 20mm is what is said to be needed from other members from years back. (***Note***: I have not tested 20mm yet, but they should work. I will advise ASAP) If you want to get new rims, search for ones meant for an Evo. They are the same bolt pattern and made to clear Brembos without spacers.
  • If you're smart, you'll buy used Evo 8 or 9 Brembos off eBay or something. They may even come with clips and pins. Good deal. If you get them and they are shotty you can do a few things to clean them up. If the finish is gone, just sand down the rest of the varnish so it looks matte and coat them many times over with Duplicolor 500į Clear Engine Enamel. This restores the finish and lasts for a long time (unless you're tracking your car). If the logo is messed up or you want to alter the color, sand it all down and hit it with any color Duplicolor 500į Clear Engine Enamel. Several coats will work. After that find yourself some hi-temp Brembo (or whatever) decals on eBay. Sizing of these decals are never perfect even though the listings say they are stock size. Then finally hit it with many coats of Duplicolor 500į Clear Engine Enamel. See pick below for final product of my restored Brembos.

Install Tips & Issues:
  • The rear caliper bolts are too long for our car's knuckle. To fix this on the fly, we used several heavy grade washers to pull them back a bit from the rotor. I've seen others speak about having the bolts cut. I belive its a unique thread pattern and I haven't found a replacment yet. Any info on this issue is much appreciated. Nevertheless the heavy grade washers will work.
  • For the rear dust shields, I ripped them off. Alternatively, you can bang them flat with a mallet and wood block. Its just easier to pry them off in my opinion.
  • Having bought the wrong size spacers we had to venture out to find universal spacers (a glorified wheel washer) to make the offsett clear. I luckily found ones that work and allowed me to roll out with my Brembos on. The negative effect is that above 60+ mph I start to have front wheel shake. I can only attribute this to a hubcentric spacer being on top of a universal spacer. I know it's a bad thing to do, but I was out of options. Holds good now, just need to save up for the appropriate spacers and see if it solves my issues. Here's hoping.

• Lastly, get help. Seek out a friend or someone who knows thier shit when it comes to changing brakes. If I did this alone, it would have taken me more than a day. A well educated person in this equation is extremely valuble. If your a wiz at this kind of stuff, then by all means go for it.

Evo 8/9 Brembo Diagram:

The end result after all that (daytime, better shots to come):

Overall, I'm happy. Just need to remedy spacer issue and hope that solves the shaking at 60+ mph. Light rust and screeching is most likely due to cheap pads and rotors, but that's fine until next spring for me. Braking is that of the gods. I can stop soooooo damn good now! I feel like these should have been sold on the 4g Eclipse. Definitely worth the investment and time in my opinion.

Any contributions of further info or notations of newly found issues are welcome. I'd like to make this a one-stop-shop before a member ventures into this swap. A lot has been shown, said, and hinted at, but those posts are dated and are missing images or info. This puts it all in one place and I wish I had it before I did mine.

Good luck to all who venture down this path. Also realize for this, you have to pay to play!

Questions and comments strongly encouraged. Point out my errors too, if any. I'm burned out right now while writing this...

Remember kids, stay classy and get dirty!

***Update 10/5/11: I swapped in Advanced Auto Parts' Wearever Ceramic pads all around (about $73 total, great construction as they are coated to reduce noise on the back side) and cleaned the spring clips where they make contact with the edge of the pads. The end result, no noise at all. No screeching or squealing, just quiet braking. Apparently, upon looking into it on EvoM forums, dirt/dust build up on those spring clips can actually make noise, when in all reality it is suppose to act as a noise reducer. WIN!

Also went on to take of my front two wheels off and put them back on a few times. I basically made sure not to over-tighten them and try to hold them flush as I went around and tightened each lug nut equally (every other one format). I finally got it after three attempts and testings. Now at 60+ mph, I have no shake. The hubcentric ring just needs to sit perfect with the wheel. If it shakes just take off the wheels and try to mount them again. A good amount of work but well worth it to avoid the shake I was having. That all being said, my two stacked spacers created no issue what-so-ever. The universal just acts as a over-sized washer if anything. All good to go now!***

-BJ

Last edited by Sin; October 5th, 2011 at 09:02 AM.
Sin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2011, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Woody

Name: Nick
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
NWood92 is on a distinguished road
Awesome man. how much was all of it?
NWood92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sin
Bitches Love a Sinner

Sin is a name known to allSin is a name known to allSin is a name known to allSin is a name known to allSin is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWood92 View Post
Awesome man. how much was all of it?
In the end, with all the initial stuff I bought to do it (from calipers down to decals), I dropped around $1300.

I would say for a better installation/setup (with good rotors and pads) you would be looking at a healthy $1500.

Keep in mind aftermarket wheels can negate the wheel spacers' cost.

$1300 to $1500 sounds like a good range. You may be able to find used Brembos going with rotors and pads in a package. I've seen other people go that route and save money.

Old September 21st, 2011, 08:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

shadow will become famous soon enough
For rotors, pads, rebuild items visit girodisc.com

It comes recommended from the Evo forums. And all four rotors for $200 is not a bad price. Also it is the cheapest place I have found for dust boots, seals, etc for the calipers plus they sell them seperatly where as most places sell an entire rebuild kit for one caliper.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Sin
Bitches Love a Sinner

Update!
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
illusionperformance

Name: travis
Vehicle: 08 pathfinder - modded
akley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to behold
nice job
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Real men have a STICK!

Name: Chris
Vehicle: '08 Evo X GSR
ChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to all
This needs a sticky! What a great thread!!!
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Real men have a STICK!

ChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to allChrisB is a name known to all
Kevin or Kazman, sticky this plz!!! Everything you need to know about a brembo swap!
Old August 19th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Scrape Artist

Name: Low Life
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
kazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant futurekazman has a brilliant future

schticky'd
good write up sin, erep EDIT: too much rep your way... someone else hit him for me

Just
lower Slam the shit out of
It

-----Break free from the chains of conformity-----

"There are a lot of us who are caught up in this hell we all live in,
Content with being blinded by rules and judgment.
We live in a world where it's more okay to follow than to lead.
In this world being a leader is trouble for the system we are all accustomed to.
Being a leader in this day and age is being a threat." - Common
kazman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Real men have a STICK!

Got the rep!
Old October 16th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Vehicle: 09 Eclipse GT
twinspoolin94 is on a distinguished road
does anyone know if 09 gt wheels will clear brembo calipers?
twinspoolin94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 22nd, 2012, 07:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Name: Justin
Vehicle: 2011 BMW 335i X-Drive
OrangeCrush is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeCrush is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeCrush is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeCrush is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinspoolin94 View Post
does anyone know if 09 gt wheels will clear brembo calipers?
Without spacers, no. With spacers, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxenth View Post
you shall be pro troll second in command! lol but yeah we do dude. fucking awesome. specially when shit really hits the fan
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Name: Thomas
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT
TwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud of
Can you take a few pics of the whole car and how the wheels looks with the spacers?
TwilsonD7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Vehicle: 07 Eclipse GS
CuTi08 is on a distinguished road
does anybody know where to get aftermarket calipers set eclipse GS.....
CuTi08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mr. Offensive

Name: Will
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
Phantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant future
evo forums, ebay, aci, i believe rre has em but im not sure. you might want to do a little bit of reading up on it before you go changing brakes.

Follow the official Club4G Instagram at @club4g
Phantom_4G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Real men have a STICK!

Oh yea...lol, I'm up to $2500 invested to include wheels that will fit in front of the calipers. Can't complain though. Definitely worth it!
Old November 29th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Mr. Offensive

Name: Will
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
Phantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant futurePhantom_4G has a brilliant future
Most definitely. still my best mod to date. cant wait to upgrade my rotors

Follow the official Club4G Instagram at @club4g
Phantom_4G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 28th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

EVOLVRON Champion! TNT Runner Champion!
Vehicle: 2007 Mitsu Eclipse SE
EclipseMua507 will become famous soon enough
didn't see any mention of this above, but the badass people at my local Mitsubishi Dealership service department bought Grade A steel bolts with matching thread pattern at Lowe's. they went in and came out without a hitch, just remember to take your calipers with you and test EVERY one of them, you will look odd taking car parts into a home improvement store, but hey, its for your benefit. i have spent about 1800 on my brake job, but $600 of that was just the labor at the dealer terrible i know but i don't know anyone local that could help me solo this one.

and my total is about to go up because the offset of our stock rims is a +45 and WILL NOT clear the front calipers. if shopping online for new rims, look for rims that will fit on an EVO not our cars. the ones i am renting atm are from an EVO 8, and they barely clear with a +38 offset and are 17's i am in the process of looking for 18x8 with a +35 to clear the calipers. hope this helps anyone looking to upgrade.

Last edited by EclipseMua507; August 28th, 2013 at 11:10 PM.
EclipseMua507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 8th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT 6spd
wi2008gt6 is on a distinguished road
has anyone used the Centric Reman Preloaded Calipers?
wi2008gt6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 7th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Name: Michael
Vehicle: 2011, GT
ShadowsEclipse89 is on a distinguished road
sweet

Last edited by ShadowsEclipse89; February 7th, 2014 at 08:55 AM.
ShadowsEclipse89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Eclipse Fan

Name: Dan
Vehicle: '07 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
ninjoo18 will become famous soon enough
Do the tweaks to the rear caliper bolts work equally when putting it on a GS? I got my front brembos on my GS yesterday but today I know I may have issues with putting the rears on.
Installed: DC CAI, GT TB, RRE Header, Magnaflow resonator and Catback, RRE UDP, Hackish Reflash, BC BR Coilovers, Evo 9 Brembos and Rotors, Lambo doors, exterior paint and decals, and a Samsung tablet in the dash instead of the boring radio.

Awaiting: Turbo? AWD? Hover mode?
ninjoo18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
block, brembo, calipers, eclipse, evom, fix, good, install, light, oem, opinion, parts, pick, problem, rear, rims, show, sound, stock, street, swap, total, universal, wheel, wheels, worth it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in