The wheel and tire fitment thread - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension Slip and slide discussion

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

Name: Rick
Vehicle: 2008 GT-SC
dejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nice
The wheel and tire fitment thread

Wanted to start a thread where we all can put questions about wheel and tire fittment.... This may help all the threads where people ask will this work or fit!!!

My current question is what's the widest tire I can get on a 8.5" wide rim? A 255?

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
dejectedangle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

Name: www.c4gnation.com
xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to all
255 on a 8.5" should be OK... not sure if you wanna go any wider... then you get the balloon / truck tire effect...

my question is, would 245/45 fit on the stock 18s? or i should say, i know they fit, but has anyone done it to tell me how fat / ballony it looks?

reason i say that is because i had 215s on a 7" rim (instead of 215 on 7.5 for the GS) and the tires looked fat and low all the time, no bueno.,...

PS: Rick, good idea, i was gonna start a similar thread a few days back...
xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
JDMRIDE

Name: Ajdin/Aj
Vehicle: 2011/Eclipse/GS -94Golf 3
STL Eclipse 2011 is just really niceSTL Eclipse 2011 is just really niceSTL Eclipse 2011 is just really nice
Im pretty sure they would cause stock 18s already have 235

https://club4g.org/board/members-ride...er-thread.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHILLY22 View Post
about time u got a signatue lol looks badass...
STL Eclipse 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 15th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to all
yep, i just dont like the "balloon tire" look... i might go around and ask some local shops this week-end, i need to decide in the next few weeks here before it's time to put my summerz back on
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
JDMRIDE

Name: Ajdin/Aj
Vehicle: 2011/Eclipse/GS -94Golf 3
STL Eclipse 2011 is just really niceSTL Eclipse 2011 is just really niceSTL Eclipse 2011 is just really nice
I dont understand how they turn out by looking as baloon tires

https://club4g.org/board/members-ride...er-thread.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHILLY22 View Post
about time u got a signatue lol looks badass...
STL Eclipse 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

dejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nice
I've read the widest tire on a 8" is 255 but people say you get alot of rolling feeling through the turns....

Also as far as the round sidewall problem all tires do have different wall thicknesses...

Ex my nitto drag tires filled up and held the car up at 31 psi.... I bought these new rims that came with kumhos and I put them to 32 psi and looked flat I now have the kumhos up to 43 psi so they are not flat..... Bolth sets were exactly the same size so deff sidewall has a impact

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

^ what he says.
if the tire is slightly too wide (and sidewall too tall) for the rim, it will look like a balloon on the sides, unless you crank up the pressure. when i had my PA3s at 32 psi, you could have sworn they were low on air. crank it up to 36 and they look like a regular tire.

and yes, different tires have different sidewalls stiffness

Last edited by xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder; March 15th, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old March 15th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

Name: Jay
Vehicle: 2006 Honda Civic Si
jhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to behold
So it's looking like I'm gonna be sticking with my stockers atm, and getting tires tomorrow :/ unless by the will of God I sell those Oakley's today. But, I'm curious of what to look for. I'm running 225/50/17 right now. Should I go wider? my stockers are 17x7.5" with +46 offset. I want to get as much stance as possible, looking into spacers soon etc. And lower of course.
jhun35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

shadow will become famous soon enough
ok here is a couple questions i have, any one who knows the answers please let me know:

I recently put on staggered rims and tires-
18x8 +30 offset 225 45 18 front
18x8.5 +32 offset 245 45 18 rear

I had oem 17 star rims with 215 50 17 tires

1. The hub size is a tad too large in the front. This is due to manually enlarging it. I am working on getting it machined to a specific size and purchasing hub rings. its not super large just a tad. I have some vibrating in the wheels at high speed. Is this due to the hub being a tad off or because of the size of the rims? Should i get an alignment?

2. The oem recommendations for psi is 32 front and rear. But the tires say 44 psi. Should i fill to the tires psi or to the oem specs?
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

1. the vibration is most likely due to the slightly over-sized bore... a proper maching and hubcentric rings would take care of that... speaking of which, i may have 4 for sale soon
2. the tires probably show the MAX PRESSURE not recommended. i'd do 32-36 to start and see how the tires look, and how you like it...
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

Yes please don't go above max pressure labeled on tire... Mines up to 42 but my tire says max pressure of 52... And get spacers with a 67mm bore size...
Did you buy the rims and tires new or used

Edit Juhn

225 on a 7.5 rim souls be a good fit what kind of stance your looking for

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer

Last edited by dejectedangle; March 16th, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

jhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejectedangle View Post
Yes please don't go above max pressure labeled on tire... Mines up to 42 but my tire says max pressure of 52... And get spacers with a 67mm bore size...
Did you buy the rims and tires new or used

Edit Juhn

225 on a 7.5 rim souls be a good fit what kind of stance your looking for
I want to go more aggressive. I can picture how I want it to look not sure how to put it into words tho.
Old March 16th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

Try and get a pic of a car with the stance u want

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
Old March 16th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

I want a stance that would be similar to the of kchu or neo. I want it to sit a little bit wider in the back, and want wide tires, but.not too wide, so i don't experience that tucked look. I still Need to lower, and once I do I'm probably going to slightly lower the front more than the back.
Old March 16th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

So ur looking into coils I'm guessing...And rims with a lip? Like 9.5 wide rears and 8.5 front

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

Quote:
So ur looking into coils I'm guessing...And rims with a lip? Like 9.5 wide rears and 8.5 front
Not sure about the lip yet, but yeh. Roughly, either 8.5 front and 9.5 back or 7.5 front and 8.5 back.
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

if i were to get rims, i'd do 9.5" in the back with 265 tires (if you dont slam your ride)... that's if i had $2k to spend on rims and tires
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

Ok and if ur wanting flush fender or poke I'd say a offset of at least 35 to 20

This was my old rim setup 8.5 from 9.5 rear
It's not much but also not overkill.. Rims were 38 offset

Rear 9.5

It was pretty much a flush fit with the fenders so work your way from this

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2007 Spyder GT
Blacson30 will become famous soon enough
I've looked at online calculators (somewhat helpful), contacted some members (sorta helpful), so now I can post ask this here:

How about 18x9 all around, 30 offset with 235 or 245 / 35 or 40 / 18 with an 1.5 drop look and sit? Flush with fender? 35 series too low? would a 40 series fill out the fender gap better with the drop?

Appreciate any input and suggestions. I'm looking REALLY hard at a 18x9 with 30 offset. Thanks guys!!

B.
"|(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''*|(@)(@)*****"|(@ )
https://club4g.org/board/members-ride...tml#post716735
Blacson30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

I think that may be a good fit as far as wheel gap with a 35 or 40 thickness... A 235 will be a little small stretch on a 9" rim if that's what ur looking for but a 245 will be nice and flush with the rim

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer

Last edited by dejectedangle; March 16th, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old March 16th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
I think that may be a good fit as far as wheel gap with a 35 or 40 thickness... A 235 will be a little small stretch on a 9" rim if that's what ur looking for but a 245 will be nice and flush with the rim
Thanks for the input! So a little stretch you think with a 235?? That's probably what I should go with if I drop it any lower than a 1.5 inch?

That's another question, When I get back to the states, I think I will be selling my set of NEW TENZO springs (in the box) and getting S-Techs.

I really want to know if there will be any fitment problem with an 18x9 rim with a 30 offset with S-Techs or would the TENZOs be better??

B.
Old March 16th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

Honesty I'd say get your drop done first especially cause ur doing springs then do your wheels and tires so you will have a better guess on what tire size you will need to fill/fit the gap... It's hard to tell all at once... Unless you get coils then you can adjust to the tires

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
Old March 16th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

This was my car on sportlines with 19's and a 35 thickness tire they were a 2" drop so Im sure the 18's will fit fine On a 1.5

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
Old March 16th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
This was my car on sportlines with 19's and a 35 thickness tire they were a 2" drop so Im sure the 18's will fit fine On a 1.5
What was the width of your rim? 8.5 or 9? and the offset?

18x9s with 30 offset should be good to go right?

Thanks for all your input
Old March 16th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

Mine was 38 offset rears 9.5 front 8.5 and yes is say ur good to go but still I'd do springs first then wheels and tires to fill in gaps... You will beable to measure out a closer fit

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
Old March 16th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #26 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

I had a 275 size tire on the 9.5 in the rear and it still tucked under the wheel well

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
I had a 275 size tire on the 9.5 in the rear and it still tucked under the wheel well
Thanks for all the inputs and advice man!! eRep for you!!

B.
Old March 21st, 2012, 01:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
All go and no show

Name: Greg
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/GS
Army_NJ is a jewel in the roughArmy_NJ is a jewel in the rough
Has anyone run into issues installing kumho 225/45's on the stock gs 17in rims? Theyre about $20 less per tire than the 225/50's and the only significant difference between the two is a little less than an inch of sidewall height. .8/.9 if i remember correctly.
Installed: DC Sports CAI, Outlaw Engineering TB Spacer, GT TB, TB Bypass, Tenzo R Lowering Springs, Sickspeed Oil Catch Can, RF Head Unit, RF Speakers, Aem Uego, Gutted exhaust manifold, Redline Tuning hood struts, Magnaflow Catback.
On hand: A ton of stuff that im too lazy/dont have time to install.
Next project: Sneaky sneakys.
Army_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 21st, 2012, 01:39 AM   #29 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT Spyder
Mdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to all
Well going with a smaller sidewall will increase your gap in the wheel well and it will throw your speedo off a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DDM 6k HID Headlights and Fogs, Blacked out OE spoiler lip, Teins S-Tech Lowering Springs, Red painted brake calipers
Mdixon23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 21st, 2012, 02:00 AM   #30 (permalink)
All go and no show

Name: Greg
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/GS
Army_NJ is a jewel in the roughArmy_NJ is a jewel in the rough
Yeah but no more than 1mph as far as I'm tracking (feel free to correct me if anyone knows better). And for saving an extra $80, I can live with that. The wheel well gap will be reduced in the near future. Leaning toward the Eibach Pro Lowering Springs from RRE for that fix.
Installed: DC Sports CAI, Outlaw Engineering TB Spacer, GT TB, TB Bypass, Tenzo R Lowering Springs, Sickspeed Oil Catch Can, RF Head Unit, RF Speakers, Aem Uego, Gutted exhaust manifold, Redline Tuning hood struts, Magnaflow Catback.
On hand: A ton of stuff that im too lazy/dont have time to install.
Next project: Sneaky sneakys.
Army_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:11 AM   #31 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

your speedo will read 4% faster, 62.3mph when you're really doing 60mph... should save you a few tickets
the sidewall is 10mm shorter, which in tire measurements is quite a lot...

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com
Old April 11th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #32 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

Ok I'm debating between these 2 tires next for street/drag use on my new rims anyone with personal/ known experience help me out

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #33 (permalink)

Name: Michael V.
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/GT
4GBatmobile is on a distinguished road
ok guys maybe I have missed the topic but i couldnt find it utelizing the search feature so before you guys start giving me crap please remember Im pretty new to this whore forum thing so please be patient. Now I have a 07 GT and was wondering how wide of a rim can we fit on my car in the front and the back. I have seen a guy running 18x8.5 but only with 225/....wide tires. im wanting to know if we can go 265 or something like that. Also does anyone have experience with slicks or drag radials? How wide or big did you go? I saw a set or 235/45/17 and perhaps they could fit on the oem rims. The reason for all this is I went to the local drag strip and only ran a 13.9 with not being able to launch at all due to crappy tires but I felt there is more to be squeezed out of her. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Old April 15th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #34 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

No flaming on this thread any wheel or tire fittment questions can be asked...

Yes 8.5 wide can fit fine in the front... Give us some wheel sizes your looking for... For 8.5 255 is the widest (recommended) tire you can run...

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
Old April 15th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #35 (permalink)

I want to run some xxr 521 perhaps in black in 18 inch now I dont know how wide i can go in the front or back without it sticking too far Im running 9.5 wide rims on my subaru and they are fine so I was looking at 9.5 or 10`s on the eclipse and the widest tire i can fit in the front
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #36 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

Well with 9.5 you can do a 275 tire

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #37 (permalink)

how will it affect my ability of turning if I put that size in the front if it even fits
Old April 16th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #38 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

I realy don't know maybe someone else can help...

Does anyone know if I can fit a 275 45 17 on my 17x8.5 rims? Only to use for drag? I know they may bulge but that's what I want?

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:35 AM   #39 (permalink)

shadow will become famous soon enough
Ok here is my question,

Stock I had 225 50 17 tires and this is what i want:

18x9.5 +20 offset

I am looking to get the tire that keeps the speedometer as close to actual as possible. Any size suggestions. I was thinking 245 45 18...is 235 to much of a stretch?

I have Brembo calipers so that is my reasoning for such a large offset.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:49 AM   #40 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

^ this bad boy will answer all of your sizing questions as far as sizing... 235 is a bit of a stretch (not much, just really square) so it all depends what you're going for... i'd go 245/255...

and you want 245/40 or 255 / 40 to stay as close as stock for outside diameter...

Tags
art, fit, questions, rim, tire, wheel, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in