Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys I figured I would finally do an introduction.

My name is David, I’m from Virginia Beach & I have a 07 GS in Sunset Pearl with the sun & sound package.

I bought the car pretty cheap 2 years ago from someone who hit a curb with it.
Day one i had to replace the entire passenger side suspension, axle and a bent rim to start off, but its been my on-going project ever since.

3C5503CC-6179-4DBC-B1A9-3D999131B913.jpeg

——————-

Engine / Suspension Mods:
-
DC Sports Cold air intake
RRE underdrive pulley
Gutted stock cats
Full 3” custom exhuast from that cats back(for turbo later)
BC Racing Coilovers
Tanabe strut tower bar + factory GT tower bar
Poly bushings
(Waiting on fastworks tune from Alex)

Aero /Misc
—-
full aero kit for 9-12
15% tint
RX8 rims
1” spacers
Spec-d Taillights

That’s about all I can think of? I’ll attach some pictures from when I first got the car & my progress until now in another post.

DD40A12E-31E7-4063-8BC9-7749BB2EF70C.jpeg
I’m

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the club! It looks great

What's your plan for boost?
Thanks ! I’m planning on keeping stock internals for rn & just running low boost. Maybe shoot for something shy of 300? Or atleast a GT equivalent lol if that’s possible with the auto.

I still have to start piecing that together tho.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,168 Posts
You can pull about 6psi on a 16g sized turbo on the auto trans.

There's no sense in a built motor with the auto trans. If you want to stay auto, looking into a 5 speed auto swap using the GT PCM and a GS ECU/PCM for the engine. You'll still need an adapter for the bellhousing. But at least you can pull about 600lb-ft on the GT trans, vs the about 225 the GS auto handles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can pull about 6psi on a 16g sized turbo on the auto trans.

There's no sense in a built motor with the auto trans. If you want to stay auto, looking into a 5 speed auto swap using the GT PCM and a GS ECU/PCM for the engine. You'll still need an adapter for the bellhousing. But at least you can pull about 600lb-ft on the GT trans, vs the about 225 the GS auto handles.
Ideally I’d like to do a manual swap. I know everyone on here says just buy another chassis, that’s already 5 speed but I think a swap is possible..

I already pulled a manual trans out of a junkyard car with all the stuff needed.. but I didn’t grab the harness or ecu. I wasn’t sure what all I needed

·
Basically Stock
6,168 Posts
Ideally I’d like to do a manual swap. I know everyone on here says just buy another chassis, that’s already 5 speed but I think a swap is possible..

I already pulled a manual trans out of a junkyard car with all the stuff needed.. but I didn’t grab the harness or ecu. I wasn’t sure what all I needed
According to a friend who did it:
Trans, shifter, shift cables, ABS block, brake master cylinder, clutch, clutch master, clutch slave, center console (just to be pretty), clutch line, lines from the brake master, possibly ABS computer, but harness and ECU aren't needed.

It's enough stuff that I'd rather buy a $500 manual parts car than buy it all at the junkyard. You could then make $400 back on scrap, plus partout money, on a parts car. And you get an engine spare, or whatever else you want

·
2,690 Posts
The ABS computers depend if it's the one with traction control or not
Would be easier to have the non-trac control one as it's simpler and doesn't interface with the PCM/ECU as much as the trac control one does

·
Registered
61 Posts
Would be easier to have the non-trac control one as it's simpler and doesn't interface with the PCM/ECU as much as the trac control one does
how does the traction control work on these cars? does it just stop power when it senses slip? or does it stop power to the specific wheel when that wheel slips?

·
2,690 Posts
how does the traction control work on these cars? does it just stop power when it senses slip? or does it stop power to the specific wheel when that wheel slips?
I mean there's definitely nothing fancy going on like a limited slip diff or electronic diff or anything; as we only have a basic totally open differential inside the transmission

It's going to start applying the brake caliper and braking whichever front wheel is slipping, maybe it will limit the power output of the engine via communication with the ECU/PCM?

Not totally sure as my Eclipse is not the Traction Control ABS equipped, just regular ABS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
According to a friend who did it:
Trans, shifter, shift cables, ABS block, brake master cylinder, clutch, clutch master, clutch slave, center console (just to be pretty), clutch line, lines from the brake master, possibly ABS computer, but harness and ECU aren't needed.

It's enough stuff that I'd rather buy a $500 manual parts car than buy it all at the junkyard. You could then make $400 back on scrap, plus partout money, on a parts car. And you get an engine spare, or whatever else you want
Wait.. so the harness and ecu from the manual car isn’t needed ? Won’t the PCM be confused if I just swaped in a manual trans ?

honestly the mechanical part I’m not worried about,I do that myself & pretty much have everything you already listed down to a flywheel. I just a need a clutch

I’m just not sure on the electrical aspects.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don’t have traction control

·
Basically Stock
6,168 Posts
Yes, it'll be confused and put the transmission in limp mode. Or try. And fail. Because there's no transmission to put into limp mode.

All you use is a VSS sensor on a manual. And it'll run fine without one too. You just lose your speedometer. This manual is totally simple.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow.. mind blown haha. Appreciate the info. will definitely be doing that once I stop using my 4g as my daily, so I can do it without rushing

·
2,690 Posts
Yes, it'll be confused and put the transmission in limp mode. Or try. And fail. Because there's no transmission to put into limp mode.

All you use is a VSS sensor on a manual. And it'll run fine without one too. You just lose your speedometer. This manual is totally simple.
The manual trans just has the VSS and a reverse switch then? Very simple
My WRX has those plus a neutral switch as well so the ECU knows when you're in neutral for idle, coming to a stop, and to try and interpret which gear you're in along with the vehicle speed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts