Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is my first post, I have an 06 eclipse GT 3.8L V6 that I got with 70k miles years ago like new, it now has 200k miles on it. To be honest I have barely done any maintenance or had issues, only taken to a mechanic once for clogged lifters. I have really just kept oil in it and changed the air filter routinely. I know, shameful.

Figured its way past time to do maintenance does anyone have recommendations? I’ve been told it may do more hard then good at this point or I’ma do all this then the car gives out on me. Never been car savvy but trying to change that. What do you guys think I should do? Give the car a big maintenance or just keep pushing my luck and not dump money into it?

I was gonna do a full oil change, transmission fluid flush/change, coolant, timing belt/water pump/tensioner, clean the MAF, and spark plugs. Thanks guys ahead of time to anyone who replies or gives advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The timing belt, tensioner and idle pulley and water pump should be at the top of your list. You’re way past due and if the timing belt goes, you’re out an engine.

I highly suspect you’re also past due for all other fluids: brake, power steering, coolant (which will be changed with water pump). Trans fluid (auto or manual), if manual clutch fluid should also be changed.

Also if manual, you may be reaching the end of your clutch’s life span.

If you can’t do this stuff on your own, I’d get some quotes for the work and seriously decide if your cash would be better spent on a new car when the Eclipse dies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man I appreciate the tips, you got any recommendations for what brands to use? Specifically the timing belt and what not? Was looking on amazon and seen a kit for around 100$ for belt, tensioner, and water pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently got my timing belt done at 150k. Had the shop do it all because research told me if I don't know what I'm doing, I seriously didnt want to do a timing belt replacement.
Cost me 600 to replace that and pump and pulled.

But today I noticed what sounded like lifter tick..which sounds like you had that same problem at one point.. how much did it cost to get fixed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just recently got my timing belt done at 150k. Had the shop do it all because research told me if I don't know what I'm doing, I seriously didnt want to do a timing belt replacement.
Cost me 600 to replace that and pump and pulled.

But today I noticed what sounded like lifter tick..which sounds like you had that same problem at one point.. how much did it cost to get fixed?
I started getting the lifter tick probably around 120ish miles or more, pretty sure it was my fault tho. Was a young idiot who was drifting around and doing donuts in a dirt field. The lifters cost me around 500$ at a small town mechanic if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The timing belt, tensioner and idle pulley and water pump should be at the top of your list. You’re way past due and if the timing belt goes, you’re out an engine.

I highly suspect you’re also past due for all other fluids: brake, power steering, coolant (which will be changed with water pump). Trans fluid (auto or manual), if manual clutch fluid should also be changed.

Also if manual, you may be reaching the end of your clutch’s life span.

If you can’t do this stuff on your own, I’d get some quotes for the work and seriously decide if your cash would be better spent on a new car when the Eclipse dies.
sorry I didnt directly reply, so I‘m just replying so you'll get a notification if you dont mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I
sorry I didnt directly reply, so I‘m just replying so you'll get a notification if you dont mind.
I know for sure there has been discussion around which timing belt kit to use on the forum and within the 4G community. I the Dayco kit was one of the preferred ones. I think there is another but I can’t remember off the top of my head. A quick google search (Club4g.org: timing belt kit) should net you tons of results.

I personally had mine done at a local shop with the kit of my choosing mostly because I didn’t have the spare time, at the time, to do it and I felt I was driving on borrowed time. I had no idea if it had ever been done.

The fluids are mostly personal preference I guess. But do select the type and viscosity recommended by Mitsuboshi.

·
1,975 Posts
I

I know for sure there has been discussion around which timing belt kit to use on the forum and within the 4G community. I the Dayco kit was one of the preferred ones. I think there is another but I can’t remember off the top of my head. A quick google search (Club4g.org: timing belt kit) should net you tons of results.

I personally had mine done at a local shop with the kit of my choosing mostly because I didn’t have the spare time, at the time, to do it and I felt I was driving on borrowed time. I had no idea if it had ever been done.

The fluids are mostly personal preference I guess. But do select the type and viscosity recommended by Mitsubishi.
Our car requires no special branded fluids luckily, just don't use CVT or DCT auto trans fluid if you have an auto trans

Engine oil recommended:
5w20 syn blend or full syn, or 5w30 or 10w30

Brake fluid and clutch fluid:
DOT 3 and/or 4, BTW: Mitsubishi now recommends DOT 4 only after the ABS recall

Coolant:
Anything, just don't mix different kinds. Green regular works fine

Manual trans:
75w80, or 75w90

Auto trans:
NO CVT OR DCT fluid, or Ford Type F
Any multi vehicle ATF, like Chrysler ATF+4, GM Dexron VI, Valvoline MaxLife, multi vehicle, import multi vehicle, etc.

Power Steering:
Any ATF mentioned above

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I

The fluids are mostly personal preference I guess. But do select the type and viscosity recommended by Mitsuboshi.
Thanks man, just got a quote from the mechanic in town to change the top priority things you recommended for around $497. Doesn’t seem too bad. Same guy who did my lifters and haven’t had an issue since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our car requires no special branded fluids luckily, just don't use CVT or DCT auto trans fluid if you have an auto trans

Engine oil recommended:
5w20 syn blend or full syn, or 5w30 or 10w30

Brake fluid and clutch fluid:
DOT 3 and/or 4, BTW: Mitsubishi now recommends DOT 4 only after the ABS recall

Coolant:
Anything, just don't mix different kinds. Green regular works fine

Manual trans:
75w80, or 75w90

Auto trans:
NO CVT OR DCT fluid, or Ford Type F
Any multi vehicle ATF, like Chrysler ATF+4, GM Dexron VI, Valvoline MaxLife, multi vehicle, import multi vehicle, etc.

Power Steering:
Any ATF mentioned above
Thank you dude for all the detailed info. Realized it’s about time I give my car some love, it’s been more than worth its money as a daily driver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts