Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I just recently purchased this 07’ GS model and absolutely love it. I’ve always been a fan of the body style and 2.4L engine, not to mention it is a 5-speed manual trans. Before committing to buying the car, I checked every single aspect of the engine (leaks, clunks, etc.). Also checked the entire suspension and all looked good except for a broken rear sway bar link and rusty control arms. Of course, at the time I did not notice the problem I am reporting on this post because the car was warmed up and sitting idle for awhile when I met up with the previous owner. Short & sweet version is, after the car sits cold over night and I go to start it then let it warm up for about 10 minute before taking off. There is a very specific & brief rattle between shifting from 1st to 2nd gear after reaching 3000 rpms between the shift. It does not continue after driving it for awhile. The performance isn’t slowed and there are no other issues. Is this common noise for this 4G model every single time you go to take that first initial drive?! Can someone please help diagnose this?!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the club.

Usually it's a rusty heat shield rattling. You can remove the heat shield, and the problem will be as resolved as it needs to be. You'll just need to narrow down which one it is. The one over the muffler is usually the first one to go
Thank you for the warm welcome, I figured it could be something minor like that. I did already check the muffler shield but not the other. The rattle is specifically coming from the engine area if that helps narrow it down more.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,039 Posts
Heat shields run basically the entire length of the exhaust. There are many options for which it could be. If you rev the car just right does it do it? Maybe a friend could listen from beside/under the car to narrow it down more

Less likely is a cracked catalytic converter. It happens, just is fairly rare, and has other symptoms like awful fuel economy, low power, and potentially red hot glowing cats

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heat shields run basically the entire length of the exhaust. There are many options for which it could be. If you rev the car just right does it do it? Maybe a friend could listen from beside/under the car to narrow it down more

Less likely is a cracked catalytic converter. It happens, just is fairly rare, and has other symptoms like awful fuel economy, low power, and potentially red hot glowing cats
It doesn’t make a single noise after that initial take off going from 1st to 2nd, especially after the car is fully warmed up. It’s one short rattle/flutter noise. But no noise when I rev up either aside from the normal sounds.

·
Super Moderator
362 Posts
Is it specifically at high RPM? This is an important distinction. Go for a very spirited drive. Not gonna lie, I've found more cars with catalytic converters clogged than anything, but this might just be a lose heat shield though. Welcome to the 15 year old car club and enjoy it, but take care of it. I've done some major maintenance to my car over the years and it's held up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it specifically at high RPM? This is an important distinction. Go for a very spirited drive. Not gonna lie, I've found more cars with catalytic converters clogged than anything, but this might just be a lose heat shield though. Welcome to the 15 year old car club and enjoy it, but take care of it. I've done some major maintenance to my car over the years and it's held up.
No not high RPM, just normal going from 1st to second gear so it’s between 2000-3000. But yeah I expected to have some things to repair, just recently had an 03’ Civic that I did major repairs on. Mitsubishi is a whole new beast for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No not high RPM, just normal going from 1st to second gear so it’s between 2000-3000. But yeah I expected to have some things to repair, just recently had an 03’ Civic that I did major repairs on. Mitsubishi is a whole new beast for me.
Good Morning! Just wanted to provide a quick status, I check the entire heat shield and it appears that the previous owner(s) already put metal clamps on the entire thing! So the heat shield rattle is ruled out. I also checked the axles and there is nothing noticeable or out of the ordinary. At this point, I’m thinking it’s something more specific with the transmission or maybe I am not seeing something with the axles. I’m going to be doing a transmission flush today and go from there! I really don’t want to bring it to a mechanic since I am more than capable of figuring this out. Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated 💪🏽

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Good Morning! Just wanted to provide a quick status, I check the entire heat shield and it appears that the previous owner(s) already put metal clamps on the entire thing! So the heat shield rattle is ruled out. I also checked the axles and there is nothing noticeable or out of the ordinary. At this point, I’m thinking it’s something more specific with the transmission or maybe I am not seeing something with the axles. I’m going to be doing a transmission flush today and go from there! I really don’t want to bring it to a mechanic since I am more than capable of figuring this out. Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated 💪🏽

·
Super Moderator
362 Posts
I wouldn't entirely rule out the heat shield, since they're tiny thin aluminum. It may look like they're secure, but I had one I had to basically destroy to remove because it was still attached, but that itty bitty corner was vibrating once I hit a certain RPM frequency. Yeah, they're strapped down, but you can't see what's flexing or moving or shaking from the vibration frequency of the engine. Like Sabertooth said, get a friend to rev it and hold RPMs while it's happening and get under the car and check. I know it seems like we're just bypassing that you checked the heat shields, but I've checked my heat shields before with zero thought or care to remove them, and it WAS the heat shield. Doubt it's the transmission if you're not having any other issues with the car. Why touch the transmission when you're not 100% sure it IS the transmission. Sounds like you're just throwing money at it to see what sticks, which is never the way to go.

If you're worried about taking it to a mechanic, then just don't take it. You're not experiencing any troubles with the car, just a noise. If anything, just wait for something to break or wear down more and then figure it out. Taking it to the mechanic is just going to potentially cost you an arm and a leg for them to not even fix it, and it's just a noise. Keep looking and keep us updated.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,039 Posts
Seeing aftermarket clamps added to the heat shield really supports the theory that they are the cause. It tells me it was a known issue they tried to remedy.

Heat shield rattles are really common, yours has just been confirmed to have a heat shield issue with a bandaid fix attempted. I'd keep digging there for sure

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't entirely rule out the heat shield, since they're tiny thin aluminum. It may look like they're secure, but I had one I had to basically destroy to remove because it was still attached, but that itty bitty corner was vibrating once I hit a certain RPM frequency. Yeah, they're strapped down, but you can't see what's flexing or moving or shaking from the vibration frequency of the engine. Like Sabertooth said, get a friend to rev it and hold RPMs while it's happening and get under the car and check. I know it seems like we're just bypassing that you checked the heat shields, but I've checked my heat shields before with zero thought or care to remove them, and it WAS the heat shield. Doubt it's the transmission if you're not having any other issues with the car. Why touch the transmission when you're not 100% sure it IS the transmission. Sounds like you're just throwing money at it to see what sticks, which is never the way to go.

If you're worried about taking it to a mechanic, then just don't take it. You're not experiencing any troubles with the car, just a noise. If anything, just wait for something to break or wear down more and then figure it out. Taking it to the mechanic is just going to potentially cost you an arm and a leg for them to not even fix it, and it's just a noise. Keep looking and keep us updated.
Oh I am definitely still leaning towards the issue being the heat shield. I just thought maybe it could need a transmission, master and slave cylinder flush as a precautionary measure. My cousin said it could be the input bearing going bad or the front axles. The sound is directly associated with leaving 1st gear at a low RPM going into 2nd gear. It’s a 1 second long flutter/grinding noise. Thus leading me to believe it is a bearing of some sort in one of the driving components. But either way, I will dis-assemble the metal straps and see what’s up. I’m not throwing money away at all, haven’t spent a single buck on repairs or parts. I only mentioned the mechanic to say, I would never go that route unless it was the absolute last resort. With $75-$95/hr shop charges, ha! These shops be robbin people dry. I know better lol I appreciate y’all’s feedback and thanks for hanging in there with me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh I am definitely still leaning towards the issue being the heat shield. I just thought maybe it could need a transmission, master and slave cylinder flush as a precautionary measure. My cousin said it could be the input bearing going bad or the front axles. The sound is directly associated with leaving 1st gear at a low RPM going into 2nd gear. It’s a 1 second long flutter/grinding noise. Thus leading me to believe it is a bearing of some sort in one of the driving components. But either way, I will dis-assemble the metal straps and see what’s up. I’m not throwing money away at all, haven’t spent a single buck on repairs or parts. I only mentioned the mechanic to say, I would never go that route unless it was the absolute last resort. With $75-$95/hr shop charges, ha! These shops be robbin people dry. I know better lol I appreciate y’all’s feedback and thanks for hanging in there with me.
Hey, here’s another update. So the sound is only associate when the car has power going to all components after being started up for the first time as I previously mentioned. I ruled out the heat shield, it is not that. The brief flutter/grind noise happens when car is moving forward or backwards without giving it gas. I tested it out by rolling down hill after starting the engine for the first time. Also took an audio clip of the noise. If someone wants to reach out to me I can send you the clip over email or text. Please help me figure this out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts