Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, after 220k miles with just routine oil changes and maintenance it decided it had enough. A few months after I gave it a fresh tune up too.

Driving to work on Friday, It all of a sudden started mis-firing and knocking bad. I immediately pulled into a parking lot and as soon as my foot came off the gas the engine stalled and I coasted to a spot. Popped the hood and checked all the coils, connectors, and oil level. All good so I opened the oil cap to take a glance while waiting for a tow truck. First thing I saw was a valve spring laying in two pieces right under the oil filler.

Today I pulled the valve cover off and found the rocker arm broken in acouple pieces, spring was broken and the valve was bent and stuck in the head thanks to it dropping into the cylinder and getting beat by the piston.

Attachments

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,173 Posts
Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you have plans to rebuild the head/block? I don't have experience building a 6G75, but do with building engines in general.

Or maybe a junkyard swap? I'm not sure what the condition of your car is in general, and what it means to you. That'll have a big impact in rebuild, swap, or buying a new car

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably going to the junkyard at this point. Its a had a slight leak from the gas tank and putting a new gas tank in along with new heads is more time and money than I have to spare currently. As much as I want to keep the car I can't justify it right now.

The company I work for specializes in GM LS swaps so I am trying to convince my bosses to LS swap it for a burn out contest in the spring but they would rather start with a car that is already rear wheel drive and not have to spend money on a rear end and time to fabricate things.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The same problem happens to all eclipses. They become cheaper to buy then they are to fix. You could easily just buy a whole gt for around $3000 with anywhere from 80k to 120k miles. I snabbed mine with next to no miles 1 owner for nothing. The issue is years down the road these things will be impossible to find.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,173 Posts
Up here in Ontario they're becoming a car that never sees junkyards. People are just doing partouts on them, or selling them non running and people are swapping engines into them. Not that they're expensive yet, but typically cars that do that go into more of a collector status

·
Long time Eclipse Owner
32 Posts
I'm on the 3rd rebuild of my 6G75. First was a spun rod bearing, the second was a pre-mature break of the timing belt ( took out 17 valves). Then oil pump failure taking out a few bearings. I've been sourcing parts from Europe and Australia. Mitsubishi's Pajero was a popular truck there. It used the 6G75 but without the Mivec heads. Performance parts outside of the US. I've found that the prices outside of the USA are the same or cheaper including shipping and duties.

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
I'm on the 3rd rebuild of my 6G75. First was a spun rod bearing, the second was a pre-mature break of the timing belt ( took out 17 valves). Then oil pump failure taking out a few bearings. I've been sourcing parts from Europe and Australia. Mitsubishi's Pajero was a popular truck there. It used the 6G75 but without the Mivec heads. Performance parts outside of the US. I've found that the prices outside of the USA are the same or cheaper including shipping and duties.
Oof, THIRD rebuild? How do you find the time or energy...? I currently only have one vehicle, but I'm looking at really really cheap shit hondas to pull the engine and learn how to rebuild and refinish an engine. I know I will need to eventually and I don't want my beloved babies 4g69 to be the first and fuck everything up. It's like boning the first time, you know nothing. You got the tools, and all the advice in the world, but the second you're about to put the pedal to the metal, all knowledge goes out the window and us men have learn brute force tends to fix everything.

I'm so worried, lol. So much I don't know what to pay attention to. I'm sure with the right amount of time and research, it could be done right, but a lot of information and knowledge is basically just learn as you go. Like how adding soap to the sponge is a better concept than adding it to the dish you're washing. You won't know that until you do it 20 times. That's the big part that scares me.

·
Long time Eclipse Owner
32 Posts
Yeah I know what you are feeling. I built my first race car at 16, which shortly thereafter gave me my first opportunity to rebuild an engine. In that day engines were very sloppy so to the rebuild was pretty easy. The 6g75 is not a sloppy engine. As most new generation engines.

I suggest you get a Mitsu maintenance manual, and follow the specs to the letter step by step. Cleanliest is an absolute must.

Doing the final assembly of my 6g75 now.

If you want to try I'll answer all your questions just send me a PM. I'm in Boynton Beach Florida, if your are close I'll lend a hand.

You say how do I have the time, I'm retired, working part-time to support my habits, like a 2006 Eclipse GT.

Good luck with whatever path you take.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts