Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched on the forum to see if anyone has or had the same problem as I have but I was not able to find one. I deeply apologize if I have missed one.
So far, looks like I may be the only person with this problem.:ugh:

I have 2008 GT automatic. Most of the car is stock, never touched engine bay nor any bolt ons or any other critical mods. Only mod I can think of is installing the AUX cable, but the problem existed prior to that.

My gear shift is really really stiff. Somtimes the gear doesn't even engage. The car runs fine and doesn't stall or die on me or anything but this shifting problem is annoying.

The order is obviously P->R->N->D. (I dont really use sportmode).

From P to N is all smooth, but from N to D feels like my gear didn't even shift. There is no firm shifting sound or feel and I really have to pull hard on the shift towards D in order to engage into D. In other words, I have to yank the gear shift. I know this is not good for the car and I don't really yank it that hard, but I have to apply some force to engage into gear.

Same thing from D to N, feels like nothing happened. From N to R or P sounds and feels firm but it's just the D. The sport mode works perfectly as well.

On the front dash where speedo is, there are two small indicator circles. Top shows blinker or hazard light and bottom on shows which gear I am in, PRN or D.

When I pull from N to D and if I don't pull it hard, the screen will go from N to nothing. Just blank on the screen. If I pull from N to D hard enough, the gear engages.

This is annoying especially when I reverse out of a parking spot and put it on D to drive away as from R->N is smooth and N->D is not working properly. I do not know why this is happening and I haven't modded my car nor crashed. Transmission fluid is good, had it flushed as well less than a year ago. :(

Does anyone have the same prob? What could be the cause?
I love this car so much but problems here and there are really depressing. The grinding noise is being dealt with currently with dealership and they decided to change driver side front and rear wheel bearing for free. After that if the noise continue we will continue investigation.

I should ask them to check the gear as well. If any ideas, let me know

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
[FIXED]
Hello me,

Looks like no one had this probelm. For those who have the same problem or for future references, I had my center console taken iut and inspected by dealership,

The cause is the cable that runs from the gear shift to the transmission is incased in a metal tube (?) thing and very likely that the cable is being seized.

Solution: A new cable itself is around $150 CAD but since center console and a lpt of other part has to be taken out to replace it, it will cost in total roughly $870 CAD.

If the cable is replaced at a correct tension with lubrication, it can fix the problem.

For me, I need to get my brake repaired first which will cost $800 so I'm leaving this til later. Not a major safety concern as of now :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts