Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
I know this post is probably long dead, but my 09 GT just had a leak in the same area of the headliner mentioned. The fix for me was the same one mentioned by Sunset4g too -- remove the roof trim, then seal the back section as it dips into the hatch area with clear RTV (or something equivalent) Super thankful for this post!

· Registered
7 Posts
I know this post is probably long dead, but my 09 GT just had a leak in the same area of the headliner mentioned. The fix for me was the same one mentioned by Sunset4g too -- remove the roof trim, then seal the back section as it dips into the hatch area with clear RTV (or something equivalent) Super thankful for this post!
I have an 08 that started doing the same thing today.
How did you remove the roof seals, anything special or did they just come up? And are they reffing to the whole plastic strip needing to be pulled up?

· Registered
7 Posts
Ok, listen up!

I had the same exact issue you did, and there was no info anywhere. My rear passenger side roof was leaking pretty bad right dead center above the back triangle window.

Basically the issue is one of, or in this case, both of your body seams on the roof have cracked. Remove the weather stripping on the roof and look very closely along that ridge where the strip sticks on. Along that whole valley, take a close look and see if you see any tiny cracks. On mine, I had the tiniest cracks, near the back of the car near the hatch. Didn't think it was but sure enough, those cracks were causing a significant amount of water to leak in and that's what was causing my leak. I bought some silicone sealant made for plumbing at Lowe's, and spread it nicely along those cracks and made sure they were sealed. No leak since.

I have only heard of 2 other 4gs having this issue. One guy had it fixed under warranty. Basically mitsu re-seamed his roof. The body seams are what join the roof or the various body/frame panels together. In this case it seems the roof ones dry out and crack, this allows water to seep into the interior.

So take the moldings off and look closely for any cracks. Be aware they can be very very small. Nonetheless these small cracks will allow a good amount of water in your car during a hard rain.

Get some good sealant and plug up the cracks and you should be good. In my case it took 2 tries to seal all the tiny cracks, but I've been nice and dry since.

Hope this helps!
Ok, listen up!

I had the same exact issue you did, and there was no info anywhere. My rear passenger side roof was leaking pretty bad right dead center above the back triangle window.

Basically the issue is one of, or in this case, both of your body seams on the roof have cracked. Remove the weather stripping on the roof and look very closely along that ridge where the strip sticks on. Along that whole valley, take a close look and see if you see any tiny cracks. On mine, I had the tiniest cracks, near the back of the car near the hatch. Didn't think it was but sure enough, those cracks were causing a significant amount of water to leak in and that's what was causing my leak. I bought some silicone sealant made for plumbing at Lowe's, and spread it nicely along those cracks and made sure they were sealed. No leak since.

I have only heard of 2 other 4gs having this issue. One guy had it fixed under warranty. Basically mitsu re-seamed his roof. The body seams are what join the roof or the various body/frame panels together. In this case it seems the roof ones dry out and crack, this allows water to seep into the interior.

So take the moldings off and look closely for any cracks. Be aware they can be very very small. Nonetheless these small cracks will allow a good amount of water in your car during a hard rain.

Get some good sealant and plug up the cracks and you should be good. In my case it took 2 tries to seal all the tiny cracks, but I've been nice and dry since.

Hope this helps!
Hey, I know it's been a long time since anyone has bumped this thread, and I am very new to all this. But I have owned my 4G 08 for about 3 years. I noticed that I had little stains in thoughs back two areas for the passed 3 years but didn't realize I had active leaks for the time I've owned the car. I guess it only got in during a real serious down pour, but it is happening more now than it used to.

I am gonna try this fix here, but I was curious if you were referring to pulling that whole rubber/plastic two inch strip up along the top of the car. Of so did you just pull them up? Any special process?
And were your cracks actually located in the metal seam?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts