Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

09 GS noises

3K views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  Sabertooth^2 
#1 ·
hello everyone new here to the forum ...
i got an 09 gs with the little cute 4 cylinder lol . a month ago engine bay started getting very noisy, chattery , squeal like , and just annoying.....it kinda sounds like a bad idle pulley . but i dont know where it’s located cause fwd and no info on google. im also suspecting i have a bad exhaust gasket , the one that connects to the mid pipe and manifold, its made of metal... (number 5 on image )

how can i get to the bottom
of this ? anyone experienced similar noisy engine bay ??
Rectangle Font Auto part Parallel Automotive window part

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like you should probably take the car to a mechanic. Not to be rude, but it sounds like fixing either issue is above your experience level to jump into right now if you can't find the accessory drive

On a hoist, it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to find the sources of the sounds.

#3 ·
lol like i said man there are no images/diagrams on goggle for 4g eclipses accessory drives, u dont know me at all bro ive worked on all sorts of cars 🙄. ive never gone to a mechanic everything wrong with my cars ive fixed myself 😁
so thx for no valuable info i guess lol
not to be rude of course hehe

#8 ·
yall just forget everyone, no help here at all , just gonna jack up the front and remove the passenger side wheel and inner fender guards. i know what i should do.....
i was looking for advice for ppl who has worked on these before and had similar experience , since there is almost no info on 4gs and its my first eclipse
but not my first time working on fwd engines

#10 ·

well besides the noisy valve train, u can hear the squeaky bearing in there. its only to the left side , which can possibly be the ac pulley bearing, or the one next to it which im assuming ith the water pump pulley, or ps pulley....

just changed the ring steel gasket
and no longer hear the chattering of escaping exhaust...

#14 ·
i dont know if it was , i bought it at 120k miles 2-3 months ago
do they often fail in that range ?

only way to know for sure if its the tension pulley is to remove wheel , and hear it out im guessing ? ....
and if i replace that pulley and it still sounds the same , shud i be prepared for the worst ?

#16 ·
The tensioner pulleys are prone to squeaking, as is the idler. Downside to pulling the tensioner means you disable the whole serpentine system, so only know if it's timing squeak or accessory drive. Pull the belt, and give it a spin. It should make almost no sound when spun by hand.

As for timing, yeah, 120k is about where they go on the stock belts. And being an interference motor, if it happens while cruising or worse, high RPM, usually the pistons eat the valves, and you're in for a big rebuild or an engine swap.

#18 · (Edited)
The tensioner pulleys are prone to squeaking, as is the idler. Downside to pulling the tensioner means you disable the whole serpentine system, so only know if it's timing squeak or accessory drive. Pull the belt, and give it a spin. It should make almost no sound when spun by hand.

As for timing, yeah, 120k is about where they go on the stock belts. And being an interference motor, if it happens while cruising or worse, high RPM, usually the pistons eat the valves, and you're in for a big rebuild or an engine swap.
okay i went ahead and took off the tensioner, and if looked closely the center washer isn’t centered, and it makes noise
i think thats my issue for sure
any thoughts on this ?

#22 · (Edited)
ok so pulley only took out the lil squeak , but still noisy in there
the rest of the noise could be the water pump , the pulley on the wp seems jumpy n not stable like the rest
and yep im aware ill eventually have to change out the timing belt too ...
and the wp ...fml

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.