Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. The 12V power outlet in my 2007 Eclipse stopped working recently. I've searched online for probable causes for this, and found that it might be one of the fuses in the dashboard fuse box (#16), or one in the under-hood fuse box (#23). I've checked both fuses and they're fine. Any ideas on what to do next?

Thanks in advance!

·
4,107 Posts
Hey everyone. The 12V power outlet in my 2007 Eclipse stopped working recently. I've searched online for probable causes for this, and found that it might be one of the fuses in the dashboard fuse box (#16), or one in the under-hood fuse box (#23). I've checked both fuses and they're fine. Any ideas on what to do next?

Thanks in advance!
Which outlet is bad, or is it both??

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,786 Posts
How do you know it's bad? Electrical tester, or because X item you plugged in doesn't power on?

Now I have to look and see where we have a second one, lol... I only knew about the one on the front right of the center console lol...

·
4,107 Posts
How do you know it's bad? Electrical tester, or because X item you plugged in doesn't power on?

Now I have to look and see where we have a second one, lol... I only knew about the one on the front right of the center console lol...
Center glove box if you have a GT, or SE.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I think if you have the Sun and Sound package, you have one in the center console too...

I have one in the center console, and I have a 06 GS with sun and sound package...

OP, maybe the plug came off the back?
You can pop your stereo face plate off,and climate controls off, and look behind the cig outlet....while your back there, maybe check it with a tester/multimeter.

also, try switching the fuse out... sometimes there bad without even breaking. or at least not noticeably broken...
If you dont have a spare fuse, borrow one from something else just to test...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I've only got the one plug. I've switched out the fuse in the dash panel but nothing happened. I'll try switching the one under the hood and if that doesn't work, I'll open up the center console and check it out like ryguy suggested. I'll update when I've checked it out. Thanks for being so helpful guys!

·
4,107 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey everyone! I replaced the fuses but it didn't make a difference. So I took apart the center console and removed the outlet to take a look at it. Turns out there's a small metal rod made of a very soft metal, which I assume acts as a kind of fuse, that was broken. The little rod was a link between two metal plates, one of which connected to the wiring while the other was riveted into the housing and would supply power to whatever was plugged into the outlet. Before going further, I tested the two plates with a multimeter and found that the plate connected to the wiring was receiving full power (12V) while the other plate wasn't getting anything. So I removed the broken link and, after some research, found that most of these accessory plugs have a 10 amp fuse in them, so I would assume that the link would have acted as a 10 amp fuse. I had a couple 10A glass fuses lying around, so I busted one open and pulled the metal strip out of it and used that as a link between the two plates. I plugged the outlet back in and tested both plates with my multimeter and sure enough I was getting power to both plates and the inside of the outlet. Problem solved! Thanks everyone for all your help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yup, I had the same issue, there is a fuse link attached to the back side of the cigarette lighter outlet, I soldered in a 20 amp mini fuse between the two crimped connectors on the back of the outlet, the wires are large enough to handle the load and it is fed through the 40 amp ignition fuse. There are two 12 volt outlets in my car, one is the fused outlet shown in the owners manual and the other is run through the 40 amp ignition fuse with a 10 amp link fuse. It would be nice if the mfr. referred to this link fuse in their manual. I updated my manual for future reference. Thanks for the direction

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,786 Posts
Since this was posted I've stripped 3 4G. I've seen no fusable link on the wiring, it's fused at the ETACS module

A previous owner more likely than not added that to yours, wanting a higher power circuit (or randomly used that one). The factory two are also off the same circuit with some interior lights, and the power wires split off each other. That's likely why yours wasn't mentioned in the service manual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts