Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been many threads about engine builds and interchangeable parts for the 4G69 but I want this thread to strictly focus on the history of the max power (horsepower/torque) that has been achieved with the 4G69 engine before boost. I’m wondering what is the statistical limit of these engines with full bolt ons and even internals being upgraded with 4G63 internals with port and polished head and bored intake, etc. all that good stuff lol has anyone reached this point in their build RIGHT BEFORE BOOSTING.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
I believe someone did and spent like $5-10k I think on all of it and didn’t end up getting more than 220-250whp. Not too sure but I believe there was a thread about it. Reason why most people just boost. When they boost stock parts specially rods and pistons are what goes out. Sabertooth has set up a kit that cost around $1,450 USD that is for building at least the bottom end. In the end It would probably cost you 5k to build and boost the car. And it will be very capable. Issue with stock auto trans is above 250-270whp it needs an upgraded rebuild to handle the power. The manual has seen 500whp and holds pretty well.(reason why I did the auto to manual swap on my Galant). The stock engine can handle only so much and can flow only so much. Even then this engine seems to adapt and love boost very well even with stock head and stock cam. Crank is 1,000hp safe or so. If you have any questions hit me or Sabertooth up and we will gladly help you with your questions.

·
1,970 Posts
It becomes very cost inefficient to keep building an NA build of this engine for the amount of power u get for the money past a tune, intake, and exhaust bolt ons

·
Basically Stock
5,675 Posts
Full bolt ons, upgraded rods (for the RPM), 10.8:1 pistons, 4G63 intake manifold, upgraded bearings (again for RPM), cold air intake, 3" exhaust, 4-1 header (not rre), fluidampr or stock crank pulley, ported head, high lift cam with decent overlap on duration, stiffer valve springs, you'll probably be able to do at least 190lb-ft of torque, but at 8500rpm. That's good for 307whp. Highly doable. But would cost just as much as making twice the torque and 500hp boosted. Instead of a turbo and the accessories for it, you'll be spending thousands on the head work. So it wouldn't come out ahead.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe someone did and spent like $5-10k I think on all of it and didn’t end up getting more than 220-250whp. Not too sure but I believe there was a thread about it. Reason why most people just boost. When they boost stock parts specially rods and pistons are what goes out. Sabertooth has set up a kit that cost around $1,450 USD that is for building at least the bottom end. In the end It would probably cost you 5k to build and boost the car. And it will be very capable. Issue with stock auto trans is above 250-270whp it needs an upgraded rebuild to handle the power. The manual has seen 500whp and holds pretty well.(reason why I did the auto to manual swap on my Galant). The stock engine can handle only so much and can flow only so much. Even then this engine seems to adapt and love boost very well even with stock head and stock cam. Crank is 1,000hp safe or so. If you have any questions hit me or Sabertooth up and we will gladly help you with your questions.

Thank you man it’s been a while are you doing okay? I’m not planning on building an all motor 4g69 I do plan on boosting I was just curious how far NA could make it lol based off of previous builds.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Full bolt ons, upgraded rods (for the RPM), 10.8:1 pistons, 4G63 intake manifold, upgraded bearings (again for RPM), cold air intake, 3" exhaust, 4-1 header (not rre), fluidampr or stock crank pulley, ported head, high lift cam with decent overlap on duration, stiffer valve springs, you'll probably be able to do at least 190lb-ft of torque, but at 8500rpm. That's good for 307whp. Highly doable. But would cost just as much as making twice the torque and 500hp boosted. Instead of a turbo and the accessories for it, you'll be spending thousands on the head work. So it wouldn't come out ahead.

Yeah all that work for NA for only 300 whp is definitely not cost efficient compared to boosting lol the motor will be strong though... I don’t plan on building a full NA build I was just wondering if it has been done and what they were capable of making with a fully built NA motor and tuned... I will be boosting though and most likely going with the beginner kit you offer that was mentioned earlier in the post. Also, would I be looking into getting the evo intake manifold and a GT tb if I plan on boosting or do I just port the stock intake manifold and keep stock tb

·
Basically Stock
5,675 Posts
Run the stock throttle body, and the evo 4G63 intake manifold. They mate perfectly.

The kit that was mentioned was a bottom end build kit. Pistons, rods, bearings, head studs, main studs, thrust washers. If you get machine work done to the blcok, you can upgrade to the ARP625 rod bolts and handle upwards of 1000hp on the setup on 87.5mm pistons. If you stay stock and go drop in, limitations are kinda a crapshoot, but the parts in that setup are rated to survive 700hp at least

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Run the stock throttle body, and the evo 4G63 intake manifold. They mate perfectly.

The kit that was mentioned was a bottom end build kit. Pistons, rods, bearings, head studs, main studs, thrust washers. If you get machine work done to the blcok, you can upgrade to the ARP625 rod bolts and handle upwards of 1000hp on the setup on 87.5mm pistons. If you stay stock and go drop in, limitations are kinda a crapshoot, but the parts in that setup are rated to survive 700hp at least

My bad he did say bottom end kit thanks. But okay I’ll look into the intake manifold for starters, I have a friend who owns a 4G63 GST and has an intake manifold sitting out. Would that 4G63 intake boot up and work from the 2G eclipse or is the manifold different in the evo?

And I’m not looking to push 1000hp so I most likely won’t need to get the APR625 rod bolts, however with the pistons in the build kit do those come at a choice of 87mm stock and 87.5mm upgrade or does the kit only come with the stock size? Because Ideally I need to bore out the cylinder walls to fit 87.5mm since my mileage is pushing 200K already and I’m sure there is blow by occurring already with these stock pistons

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thank you man it’s been a while are you doing okay? I’m not planning on building an all motor 4g69 I do plan on boosting I was just curious how far NA could make it lol based off of previous builds.

Doing great just working a lot. Still haven’t got much time to work on the Galant and so far haven’t turned it on. At this point I’m going to trace each wire and see which one doesnt have power or isn’t working. Last resort is spending $500-1,000 on a standalone ECU. But that’s my last resort. Honestly I’m not even gonna tune NA. I’m just going straight to build the block and boost.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doing great just working a lot. Still haven’t got much time to work on the Galant and so far haven’t turned it on. At this point I’m going to trace each wire and see which one doesnt have power or isn’t working. Last resort is spending $500-1,000 on a standalone ECU. But that’s my last resort. Honestly I’m not even gonna tune NA. I’m just going straight to build the block and boost.

That’s good man hopefully you can get it figured out so you don’t need a standalone ecu but do you have full bolt ons already to the galant?

·
Registered
281 Posts
That’s good man hopefully you can get it figured out so you don’t need a standalone ecu but do you have full bolt ons already to the galant?

Had the DC CAI, GT TB, Gutted front cats and some exhaust. Had the pulley left but since I’m going boosted and for higher power I’m keeping the stock pulley. Other than that it was mostly stock. It was lowered too. On eclipse lowering spring set btw and it fit quite nicely. Also now it has a rear sway bar thanks to the eclipses one I swapped. No tune tho. Still it sounded great and ran amazing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had the DC CAI, GT TB, Gutted front cats and some exhaust. Had the pulley left but since I’m going boosted and for higher power I’m keeping the stock pulley. Other than that it was mostly stock. It was lowered too. On eclipse lowering spring set btw and it fit quite nicely. Also now it has a rear sway bar thanks to the eclipses one I swapped. No tune tho. Still it sounded great and ran amazing.

Yeah I’m keeping my manual’s stock pulley as well but yeah I remember when you got those springs to fit up nicely on the galant I just purchased my credits for tuning the cars a week ago with Alex and Michael so while both cars are NA and can pull data logs but then I’ll upgrade one of my credits later down the road when I finally boost the manual

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yeah I’m keeping my manual’s stock pulley as well but yeah I remember when you got those springs to fit up nicely on the galant I just purchased my credits for tuning the cars a week ago with Alex and Michael so while both cars are NA and can pull data logs but then I’ll upgrade one of my credits later down the road when I finally boost the manual

That’s nice man I’m glad things are looking good for you. Boosting is something this engine in particular loves. It’s really cost efficient too. Just build it keep at it and don’t let small issues push you away.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s nice man I’m glad things are looking good for you. Boosting is something this engine in particular loves. It’s really cost efficient too. Just build it keep at it and don’t let small issues push you away.

Thanks man, you keep it up as well can’t wait to see some posts of the galant up and running

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey guys just wanted to chime in and say I love what I’m seeing and keep the great work on these amazing cars!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts