Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Flywheel Issues 2006 GT v6 MT

Hi, I have a 2006 Eclipse GT 3.8L Manual Trans and have recently pulled the flywheel and was going to replace it when i noticed there were no shims. It had been burning up starters and this may be the reason from what i've read. One guy listed part #MD365781 and MD365791 but i don't believe those are correct and probably for a 2.4L as the bolt pattern is for 7 bolts and my flywheel (old and new) have 8. I've been to the end of the internet to find these shims and was able to find the part #'s listed above, but cant find ANYTHING on the right shims for this car. Ive called several partshouses to no avail. Any guidance?

At this point i'm not even sure that motor needs flywheel shims but mine is off and not lining up with the starter. Loud grinding noise.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I too have a 3.8l 6 speed. I noticed my flywheel was bad when every time I started the car I heard loud clunking. It would be clunk clunk clunk then finally turn over and never heard it while driving. I too was burning starters like crazy and cannot tell you how many times I had to pop start this car. When I changed my flywheel it was all wobbly and just needed to be changed. It wiggled very easily and that’s why it burnt through my starters. I got Shims from autozone and cut them to add space for the starter before I took the trans off but it didn’t help at all. Same sound, and burnt through a new starter in a couple of starts. That’s when I knew I needed to replace my flywheel. When I put my new flywheel on with my new starter, it was dead silent and perfect. I did change it for the Fidanza lightwheight single mass however. Still, I did not need to use the shims to add space between the starter and where it bolts up to the trans to turn the flywheel. I’ve driven it for thousands Of miles and hundreds of starts and it’s perfect without shims. When the flywheel was bad I’d get maybe 12 starts on a starter. LKQ hated me for a while because I kept warranting the starters 😂.

When the flywheel was bad, it sounded like a hard rod knock every time I started it. All I’m saying is, I’ve never had success with shims when it was broken, and I did not need them after I replaced my flywheel. So shims might not help you. Personally they didn’t help me and it was the flywheeel in my case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts