Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Eclipse SE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I’m new to the 4G forum. I got my Eclipse early last year in mint condition and it came with a code P0442 - Very small leak in the fuel system. Car was also leaking gasoline from the fuel tank which I replaced 2 months ago hoping it would fix the problem. Though I don’t notice any drivability issues while driving; she drives pretty smooth, but the code P0442 keeps popping up. Guy pls help, anyone ever had this issue?! And guys I replaced the gas cap but still code came back. Pls help, God bless 🤟🏽

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
5,947 Posts
It's an evap code, meaning that if air is going in/out of your fuel tank, it'll be set. A fuel leak can cause it, but so can a leak in any of the evap lines, or in the fuel filler neck.

Your best bet is to pressurize the system to leak test it. You could also smoke test it.

·
2,297 Posts
Good luck, I have P0455 large evap leak on my car and it’s where the vapor hoses connect to the top of the tank, requiring the tank to be dropped to fix it, oh and parts are no longer available
I gave up

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check your purge valve solenoid and your evap canister along with the evap canister solenoid right next to the canister. I had 0442 and that what i found to be bad in my system.

·
2,297 Posts
Check your purge valve solenoid and your evap canister along with the evap canister solenoid right next to the canister. I had 0442 and that what i found to be bad in my system.
P0442 is a small leak code, not a solenoid circuit or performance issue code
If there’s an open circuit, wiring issue, or internal electrical issue with either the purge valve or vent valve solenoids, there will be a code specifically for that, not a leak code

an old physically worn out solenoid could cause a leak code if it isn’t sealing right however, it’s possible

let it be known that there are only two electrically/computer controlled solenoids associated with the Evap system, 1) the purge valve near the engine where the evap line goes into the engine, and 2) the vent solenoid behind the rear wheel near the charcoal canister that opens to allow venting, and closes to seal the system

other than those 2 solenoids, there’s just a fuel pressure sensor and a temp sensor located on the fuel pump module itself that’s inside the tank where the actual fuel pump and level floats are, under the rear seat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts