Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Eclipse SE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I’m new to the 4G forum. I got my Eclipse early last year in mint condition and it came with a code P0442 - Very small leak in the fuel system. Car was also leaking gasoline from the fuel tank which I replaced 2 months ago hoping it would fix the problem. Though I don’t notice any drivability issues while driving; she drives pretty smooth, but the code P0442 keeps popping up. Guy pls help, anyone ever had this issue?! And guys I replaced the gas cap but still code came back. Pls help, God bless 🤟🏽

·
2,891 Posts
Good luck, I have P0455 large evap leak on my car and it’s where the vapor hoses connect to the top of the tank, requiring the tank to be dropped to fix it, oh and parts are no longer available
I gave up

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check your purge valve solenoid and your evap canister along with the evap canister solenoid right next to the canister. I had 0442 and that what i found to be bad in my system.

·
2,891 Posts
Check your purge valve solenoid and your evap canister along with the evap canister solenoid right next to the canister. I had 0442 and that what i found to be bad in my system.
P0442 is a small leak code, not a solenoid circuit or performance issue code
If there’s an open circuit, wiring issue, or internal electrical issue with either the purge valve or vent valve solenoids, there will be a code specifically for that, not a leak code

an old physically worn out solenoid could cause a leak code if it isn’t sealing right however, it’s possible

let it be known that there are only two electrically/computer controlled solenoids associated with the Evap system, 1) the purge valve near the engine where the evap line goes into the engine, and 2) the vent solenoid behind the rear wheel near the charcoal canister that opens to allow venting, and closes to seal the system

other than those 2 solenoids, there’s just a fuel pressure sensor and a temp sensor located on the fuel pump module itself that’s inside the tank where the actual fuel pump and level floats are, under the rear seat

·
Registered
2007 Eclipse SE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,
Another related code is popping up now with the EVAP leak code which is P0403 - EGR control circuit. But I heard the 4Gs don’t have an EGR valve. It’s really a headache, I thought the leaking fuel tank was the cause which I replaced already. I guess I’ll do a smoke or leak test but I don’t have the tools, probably take it to the mechanic. Hopefully I find the problem. It would have been better if was a large leak cause that would be easy to find. I hate seeing the “service engine soon” light flashing on me all the time 😁

·
2,891 Posts
Thanks guys,
Another related code is popping up now with the EVAP leak code which is P0403 - EGR control circuit. But I heard the 4Gs don’t have an EGR valve. It’s really a headache, I thought the leaking fuel tank was the cause which I replaced already. I guess I’ll do a smoke or leak test but I don’t have the tools, probably take it to the mechanic. Hopefully I find the problem. It would have been better if was a large leak cause that would be easy to find. I hate seeing the “service engine soon” light flashing on me all the time 😁
They do have EGR, it’s unrelated from Evap and another problem entirely

wait, the SES is literally flashing or is it solid?

btw which engine do u have, SE tells us nothing, SE was just an appearance package on later year models but they still were both GS and GT

·
Registered
2007 Eclipse SE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They do have EGR, it’s unrelated from Evap and another problem entirely

wait, the SES is literally flashing or is it solid?

btw which engine do u have, SE tells us nothing, SE was just an appearance package on later year models but they still were both GS and GT
Lol, no the check engine light is not flashing, it’s steady - was being sarcastic.
She’s the SE (Special Edition) version, which is pretty much a GS. 4cyl, 5-speed stick.
Hopefully I get to fix the issue cause I need to pass inspection for this year. Car is running perfectly ok, but 2 confirmed codes right now.

·
2,891 Posts
Lol, no the check engine light is not flashing, it’s steady - was being sarcastic.
She’s the SE (Special Edition) version, which is pretty much a GS. 4cyl, 5-speed stick.
Hopefully I get to fix the issue cause I need to pass inspection for this year. Car is running perfectly ok, but 2 confirmed codes right now.
Ok because of the light does flash that means the engine is experiencing heavy misfires
The EGR valve is on the back of the engine by the intake port/throttle body

·
Registered
07 GS 5spd (still working on it)
22 Posts
Any update on this...I am getting PO446 (vent circuit malfunction). Changed Purge valve on intake manifold and gas cap. EVAP lines coming off filler neck look bad but look good as you follow them forward on the car. Guess I'm going with the canister valve next.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you solved the problem yet? I have a 2007 gt 6spd and i have the small leak code, cyl 2 misfire, bank 2 sensor 1 low voltage, and bank 2 lean. I’ve replaced the purge valve with no luck. The vent valve tested that it’s 3 ohms lower than what it’s supposed to be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts