Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine 2007 4G GT started to blow Engine control 20Amp fuse (#9). Happens on start up: just turning ighnition ON, without cranking an engine blows the fuse. Cannot even pull the code. Front ECU (one in fuse box) feels pretty hot, but then again it is 95F outside . Any suggestion guys?

·
1,965 Posts
Hmm idk man, never heard of this issue, not a common problem for these cars to ever blow fuses at all unless some modification or repair was done improperly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried it today with cold engine: everything seems fine. Was able to check codes: none, obviously. Any idea what part/connection could be so sensetive to heat? Also sorry for stupid question: what Front ECU relay does (black box within fuse box, not main ECU)? Could that be a problem? It was pretty hot yesterday.

·
1,965 Posts
Tried it today with cold engine: everything seems fine. Was able to check codes: none, obviously. Any idea what part/connection could be so sensetive to heat? Also sorry for stupid question: what Front ECU relay does (black box within fuse box, not main ECU)? Could that be a problem? It was pretty hot yesterday.
It gets hot, that’s normal, even a warning sticker on it about that

I believe it works with the ETACS module to control the lights and things like that

Don’t believe anybody has ever reported a problem with one

Mitsubishi makes good electronics

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An update: hopefully it will be helpful to someone. 20Amp fuse # 9 goes to majority of engine sensors. I started checking sensor wiring and noticed that heat shield is touching oxygen sensor wire. Could not see any damage to the wire, but after I eliminated the contact things went back to normal. Been driving for a week now and no blown fuses. I guess somehow the circuit was grounding as I was driving and it would blow the fuse. Interesting, the engine would not stall, even when most sensors were disabled by blown fuse. But I could feel some loss of power, but not much. Hopefully things will stay OK.

·
1,965 Posts
An update: hopefully it will be helpful to someone. 20Amp fuse # 9 goes to majority of engine sensors. I started checking sensor wiring and noticed that heat shield is touching oxygen sensor wire. Could not see any damage to the wire, but after I eliminated the contact things went back to normal. Been driving for a week now and no blown fuses. I guess somehow the circuit was grounding as I was driving and it would blow the fuse. Interesting, the engine would not stall, even when most sensors were disabled by blown fuse. But I could feel some loss of power, but not much. Hopefully things will stay OK.
Thanks for the update, yeah if any sensor goes offline, the ECU has preset failsafes programmed in to keep running anyway, aside from the crankshaft and camshaft sensors, and probably the knock sensor at the minimum for it to at least run

1 - 6 of 6 Posts