Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2007 Gt with 18k miles, does anyone recommend any initial maintenance?
Thanks.

·
1,975 Posts
Holy low mileage batman, a car so old with such low mileage I would be concerned with failing seals and short trip wear.

First off, you're going to have to do the 60-100k mile maintenance just because of the sheer age of the car.

Timing belt, balance shaft belt, tensioner, idlers, water pump, thermostat, NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs, serpentine belts

All fluids need replaced

Tires need replaced if old, check the date code or dry rot/hardness/cracks

Make sure brakes calipers and such are not locked up/frozen

As you can see, it's just about as bad for a car to sit and have low mileage and not used as it is to put the mileage on and use it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy low mileage batman, a car so old with such low mileage I would be concerned with failing seals and short trip wear.

First off, you're going to have to do the 60-100k mile maintenance just because of the sheer age of the car.

Timing belt, balance shaft belt, tensioner, idlers, water pump, thermostat, NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs, serpentine belts

All fluids need replaced

Tires need replaced if old, check the date code or dry rot/hardness/cracks

Make sure brakes calipers and such are not locked up/frozen

As you can see, it's just about as bad for a car to sit and have low mileage and not used as it is to put the mileage on and use it
Thanks I have drove it for about 200 miles since I bought it and everything seems pretty solid. I changed all the fluids before I drove it and I bought it from a dealer that had all of the service records from the one owner Thanks again for the response. One more question, any mods I should consider? I want to keep it as stock as possible but considering the age anything practical would be welcome. Thanks again

·
Basically Stock
5,688 Posts
Yikes. Every fluid, all suspension components, all motor mounts. That's a lot of time spent sitting.

Brake lines, vacuum hoses, caliper seals, belts, serpentine and timing tensioners, any sort of bearing, ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar end links... I'd be concerned about all of them. Check them all out and see if they need to be replaced. Check into the ABS recall too while you're at it, if nothing else it's a free brake fluid flush if it hasn't had it yet. Sitting that long I'd be worried it's on original fluid and holding on to a lot of that line rotting water we all hate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts