Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and searched about this issue. I'm getting conflicting information. I have a 2008 eclipse GT 6-speed. There is chattering noises until I push the clutch pedal down to the floor then It stops. The noise is not loud. Honestly most people would not even notice it. But I work on cars here and there so I noticed it right away. My last 3G eclipse 5 speed made the same noise so I'm starting to think it's just normal Mitsubishi chatter. Anyone that knows exactly what they are talking about got any information for me? 2008 eclipse GT 6 speed 114k miles.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,959 Posts
Welcome to the club.

It's not normal on a healthy OEM clutch and flywheel to chatter, however if the dual mass disk has worn springs from frequent launches, or a single mass has been swapped in, they chatter.

Eg, I've got a ceramic clutch and single mass steel flywheel in my GT. It's as loud as the valvetrain. But before, it wasn't noticable on the fresh OEM style setup I pulled out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the club.

It's not normal on a healthy OEM clutch and flywheel to chatter, however if the dual mass disk has worn springs from frequent launches, or a single mass has been swapped in, they chatter.

Eg, I've got a ceramic clutch and single mass steel flywheel in my GT. It's as loud as the valvetrain. But before, it wasn't noticable on the fresh OEM style setup I pulled out
Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure what work has been done to this car. But now I'm being told by other people that it's the input shaft bearing.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,959 Posts
Redline MT90 works, but I wouldn't personally run it again.

The Amsoil Severe Gear is my go to now. I noticed a huge improvement running it vs the Redline when it was -30c out in January and I was on the track doing a winter autocross session in my GT. I was able to change gears like I could on a track in the summer with the Redline, where as Redline when cold was giving me gear grind on both my GS and GT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts