Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone and thanks for taking interests in my thread..

just as the title states, I recently had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and pulley components replaced at a local shop. When I first got my car back, it started up perfect if not better than before. Car is running great, idle even seems better after the job.

After letting the car sit for about 30 minutes, I went to start it and it would just crank and crank but never turn over (battery is good, it almost sounds like no spark for some reason). If I stop, wait a second, and try again the car immediately cranks with no problems and runs flawlessly from that point, no codes being thrown. Leave the car sitting, the process starts over and sometimes it takes more than one or two tries for the engine to finally start.

I called the mechanic and explained my issue and he told me to drive the car as normal for the next 4 to 5 days and see if it straightens out.

Ok.... I'm not mechanically savvy but this is the timing belt we are talking about here. Why would he tell me to wait and should I? or should I take my vehicle to another shop to have it assessed or take it back to him anyway? I'm on the fence about this bc I know if something worst were to happen, no one would want to take responsibility.

thanks for all the help and suggestions

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello friend, a while ago, change the belt and the rest for maintenance, it lasted for about 4 months and being stopped it turned off, luckily I did not move the car and luckily the valves did not bend, if you bought the non-original spare parts. I recommend for nothing, buy the original mitsubishi, until time everything perfect, I recommend that you take it again to your mechanic and that he check the teeth of the belt in case they are eating also that he check if the crankshaft sensor is not dirty Who is the one who is in charge of giving the synchronization spark to the engine, I hope it helps you, greetings

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,054 Posts
Pedantic, but turning over is it cranking. It ONLY turns over.

Do you have any OBD error codes stored? Eg, a crank position sensor code. If timing were off, it wouldn't just have difficulties starting, but would also run like crap. The symptoms you describe are that of a failing crank position sensor, or poorly connected one. There's a 10mm nut that holds the timing cover to the crank sensor that must be tight, as well as a plug off the timing cover

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pedantic, but turning over is it cranking. It ONLY turns over.

Do you have any OBD error codes stored? Eg, a crank position sensor code. If timing were off, it wouldn't just have difficulties starting, but would also run like crap. The symptoms you describe are that of a failing crank position sensor, or poorly connected one. There's a 10mm nut that holds the timing cover to the crank sensor that must be tight, as well as a plug off the timing cover
Thanks for the correction. I have checked for codes and nothing is stored. The engine runs extremely smooth even when the starting issue occurred. As of today, the engine has had no problems starting. Knock on wood, but it literally progressively got better and better each time I started the car. Thanks for the info, as I will definitely remember this if the problem arises again.

as a side note.. I'm just curious as to why the mechanic recommended I wait. What could he have thought that would make him think the problem would iron itself out?

·
2,510 Posts
I’m voting for crankshaft position sensor issue, due to the mechanic damaging something with it (wiring or sensor itself, or just misaligned) or the trigger wheel is dirty or misaligned

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello everyone and thanks for taking interests in my thread..

just as the title states, I recently had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and pulley components replaced at a local shop. When I first got my car back, it started up perfect if not better than before. Car is running great, idle even seems better after the job.

After letting the car sit for about 30 minutes, I went to start it and it would just crank and crank but never turn over (battery is good, it almost sounds like no spark for some reason). If I stop, wait a second, and try again the car immediately cranks with no problems and runs flawlessly from that point, no codes being thrown. Leave the car sitting, the process starts over and sometimes it takes more than one or two tries for the engine to finally start.

I called the mechanic and explained my issue and he told me to drive the car as normal for the next 4 to 5 days and see if it straightens out.

Ok.... I'm not mechanically savvy but this is the timing belt we are talking about here. Why would he tell me to wait and should I? or should I take my vehicle to another shop to have it assessed or take it back to him anyway? I'm on the fence about this bc I know if something worst were to happen, no one would want to take responsibility.

thanks for all the help and suggestions
What the answer is I do not know but he may have cleared the memory for the averaging of where the timing is to be. Just a thought but I would take it bake to the mech. And tell him to put it on the computer.

·
2,510 Posts
What the answer is I do not know but he may have cleared the memory for the averaging of where the timing is to be. Just a thought but I would take it bake to the mech. And tell him to put it on the computer.
These cars don't do that, that is not a data item that is learned; air/fuel ratio, knock, automatic transmission data is the only stuff that is learned
The computer learns the crank and cam position sensor data on the fly when you start to crank the engine, either it starts or it doesn't

·
Registered
2007 Eclipse gs
14 Posts
If you haven't fixed it by now I would say try turning it to the run position twice before starting it and see if its just the fuel rail loosing prime. That would cause the 2 crank cycles to run also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted to post an update that the car eventually smoothed itself out as the mechanic said. Everything has been working like its supposed to. Great information in this thread. Thank you everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts