Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I’ve been having a mystery issue here that I am having some issues diagnosing. I can provide extra info if it might help. A couple of weeks ago the car would not start but if I took the key out and put it back in then it would with no issues. It doesn’t crank or anything when it happens, I turn the key and nothing happens.

The key battery was dead and my old car had immobilizer chip issues that presented like what the Eclipse is doing so my first thought went there that perhaps the battery in the key wasn’t powering the immobilizer chip (I know now that I don’t think the battery plays into it like that).

As it’s gotten colder the problem has been more frequent, still not happening every time I try to start it but enough that I am concerned. It might be a coincidence but if I warm up the key, leaving it in my pocket, then I don’t have the issue. Also the key is taped together as the previous owner broke the clasp somehow. It is my only key. I feel like everything I’ve noticed could just be a coincidence and not related to whatever the real issue is.

Today I found that it wouldn’t start even with the key warmed up and it started eventually. It is never longer than a few minutes but it’s stressful now not knowing if the car will start. So I am at a loss, I don’t know a lot about cars, my knowledge is purely from what I’ve needed to fix on cats in the past and googling. So if this sounds familiar or if you have any leads, I would certainly appreciate it. Other than this I have no issues with the car, and the check engine light isn’t on. And again if there are any specifics that would be helpful to diagnose just let me know. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
2,161 Posts
Get a full system scan tool to pull ALL of the codes of ALL of the computers in the car, not just generic OBD2 emissions related codes, and then report back

·
2,161 Posts
Could easily be the starter as well, my starter was failing and only sometimes starting at first because it either had dead spots or the solenoid was failing

·
F.N.G.
109 Posts
Checked your battery? You said it's getting colder, same here. I've been trying to diagnose my car's sudden inability to start, and now suspect a simple dying battery. Our cars rely on that precious computer for nearly everything. Autozone can check it for you for free in about 3 minutes. Hope that's all it is, for both of our cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts