Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running into an issue where my Eclipse intermittently won't start. The engine cranks fine but won't start. I had it towed to a repair shop but after it sat for 2 days before they looked at it, it started fine. The checked for codes, tested the fuel and tested fuel pressure with nothing suspect found.

I took possession of the car back with them making no changes and the next day the issue happened again. I observed that the issue occurred at the same location where I had parked it when the issue occurred the first time. It was parked on a street where the curb is considerably lower than the roadway (passenger side low). This time I put the car in neutral, pushed the car to a flat parking lot and tried starting but there was no immediate change. I left the car in the parking lot and came back 3 hours later, this time the car started immediately.

The car has a 1/2 tank of gas. Could the angle be enough not to pick up the gas in the tank?

I'm not sure of what to do/check next other than fully filling the gas tank and parking it on the street.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife's KIA had a similar problem. It was the key fob. It might be as simple as a new button battery to fix it. If not, keep your spare key with you and if your GT fails to start try the other key. If it works then it's probably a transponder issue with the first fob. It still might work though. Do an internet search for instructions to reprogram it (aftermarker key sales are a good bet) or take it to a locksmith along with your spare key.
While I was trying to figure out the KIA problem my search turned up posts from people that had the same issue as you, only at certain locations, usually parking lots. So you might be running into an interference issue. You might look into that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife's KIA had a similar problem. It was the key fob. It might be as simple as a new button battery to fix it. If not, keep your spare key with you and if your GT fails to start try the other key. If it works then it's probably a transponder issue with the first fob. It still might work though. Do an internet search for instructions to reprogram it (aftermarker key sales are a good bet) or take it to a locksmith along with your spare key.
While I was trying to figure out the KIA problem my search turned up posts from people that had the same issue as you, only at certain locations, usually parking lots. So you might be running into an interference issue. You might look into that.
Would this be an issue even though this key requires the physical key to be inserted into the ignition switch? I’ve seen a few mentions of key fob batteries, but I’ve always thought that only applies for a push button start scenario.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, the transponder bounces a signal back to an antenna device inside the steering column. It's an anti theft device that tells the car the key is registered to your car and that it's safe to start. Otherwise it'll crank over but won't start. To be honest I don't know if the transponder is passive or gets power from the button battery or possibly even from the antenna signal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the transponder bounces a signal back to an antenna device inside the steering column. It's an anti theft device that tells the car the key is registered to your car and that it's safe to start. Otherwise it'll crank over but won't start. To be honest I don't know if the transponder is passive or gets power from the button battery or possibly even from the antenna signal.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll switch out the battery and park in a different spot in case there’s some interference. Fingers crossed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts