Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been in the middle of a rebuild due to a timing belt which lost all of its teeth. To save myself a little work, I picked up a used 4g69 head with 1/3 of the miles mine had. I lapped the valves, got everything together with assembly lube, it's the new head, my original camshaft (more wear, less pitting than the other cam), new valves, new head gasket, low-mile lifters and valve springs.

I have everything together, and i'm putting the timing belt on however i'm getting binding when trying to turn the crank with the timing belt tensioned. I need some additional ideas as the only thing I can thing of is that there is something different about this new head, and I should redo everything but on my old head.

Are there any timing related differences between different years, or 4g69's run in different cars?

Thanks
Alex from Vegas

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This should be able to help you out a bit, it's the factory service manual. If you're this far in, I don't think there's any value in covering basic things to check.

Thanks, it ended up being an obvious thing. It wasn't actually binding, I had the spark plugs in the head, and it wasn't binding, it was just the compression building. I took the spark plugs out, and was able to turn it easily.

I was just super paranoid about any binding because of the previous timing belt failure.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,972 Posts
Hahaha, fair enough. I didn't want to be insulting, it sounded like you had a good handle on the situation and I didn't want to be insulting.

Welcome to the club though.

Is it a new to you car? What are your plans for it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, I've been around since 2013-2014 or so on a different profile. I had big plans, lightweight, stripped the car out, bought a supercharger and then I bought a 03' MR2 Spyder and ended up using my 4g as a daily, only doing normal maintenance.

If I had the time i would have loved to have been a more active member here too.

·
lightweight
12 Posts
The amount of threads in the past month with people asking about problems that sound suspiciously similar to what my car did before losing the timing belt is concerning. We should have a PSA now that so many cars which had their belt changed initially within 90k are now reaching new owners who have no idea. I definitely don't want people to have to go through rebuilding their head. If possible.

·
Basically Stock
7,972 Posts
It is crazy looking back and seeing just how much you've be here doing for the 4g community, keeping it alive. I love this platform.
(Definitely missed my opportunity to get a tune though lol)
Thank you.

But nope, there's an option for tuning again luckily. I believe it's these guys right here

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you.

But nope, there's an option for tuning again luckily. I believe it's these guys right here
Incase you were wondering what happened to .y timing belt lol
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior Composite material
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior Composite material

·
Basically Stock
7,972 Posts
Ahh. Plenty of life. The 100k mile rating is only for "regular" use, which is no exposure above 90f, staying under 4k RPM or half throttle. Every 60k miles is a much safer bet. Not many people buy a sports car to drive it "regular". Honestly not many people in general drive "regular" lol.

A lot of brands have similar constraints, and some, such as Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, and Subaru have clauses that warranty is void if driven hard on many of their cars. Found that out when I was considering buying a newer car. Not happening, lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow that's crazy. Yeah I live in Vegas so it sees above 90f for a large part of the year and I knew I should have done it sooner and I definitely wouldn't have waited after dealing with the aftermath. That's why I advised the guy in the "rough idle, putting it into neutral stops it, running poorly" he said his got changed at 100k and he's at 190k. In my recent personal experience it'll only let you get away with continuing to drive it for a couple months after it starts doing that and the timing starts migrating.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welp working on your car when your sleep deprived is not the best idea. I forgot to put wood on top of the jack before jacking the engine back into place to put the motor mount back on. I have a second drain hole in my oil pan now and a new oil pan in my future

·
Basically Stock
7,972 Posts
Welp working on your car when your sleep deprived is not the best idea. I forgot to put wood on top of the jack before jacking the engine back into place to put the motor mount back on. I have a second drain hole in my oil pan now and a new oil pan in my future
Yikes, wouldnt suggest it. I usually put the jack where the trans and bellhousing meet, or the AC compressor bracket (unsure if you can do that with an AC compressor)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yikes, wouldnt suggest it. I usually put the jack where the trans and bellhousing meet, or the AC compressor bracket (unsure if you can do that with an AC compressor)
I didn't think about that I should have gone for the AC compressor sense I only dropped the passenger side to get better access to the pulleys. Welp I know for next time lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My eclipse has officially started up. I need to do the ECU relearn thing. It's running like garbage at the moment. But it settled down after a few minutes idling I'll write that down as a win for the moment. No leaks or anything. Any advice, things to look for in the next 100 miles?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats on the startup, I’m in a similar situation.
I’m trying to decide on what Head Gasket to Use and what Bolts.

Did you use an MLS gasket or Composite and what did you get for the bolts?
I sent you a PM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts