Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Pros and Cons

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jethro 
#1 ·

Mitsubishi seems to be struggling in North America but the newly introduced Eclipse Crossshould help liven things up for the brand’s image.

When the Eclipse Cross name was announced, the internet went crazy because it took such an iconic name from Mitsubishi’s history and people didn’t think it could live up to it. The Eclipse did big things for Mitsubishi as a sports car and it seemed odd that a crossover would continue its legacy. The Eclipse Cross is now available for sale and is an unexpectedly well-sorted product with just a few downsides. Make sure to check out our full review, but here is a quick overview of the pros and cons of this new crossover.
Read more about the 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Pros and Cons at AutoGuide.com.

Admin edit: Shrunk for common web page scaling
Original Image
http://www.autoguide.com/blog/wp-co...ew/2018-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Cross-Review-1.JPG

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Really interesting to see that absolutely every owner of any Eclipse hate this new cross, because Mitsubishi mixed something successful with shitty tendencies.
Some official dealers in Russia called for Eclipse owners to expose their cars to the Showcase due to announce of a new Eclipse Cross

Friend of mine said that he done this just to show people what it was and what it has became xD (and of course to get free luxury detailing xDD)

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Actually test drove one

My opinion in bullets:
  • S-AWC is better than the Outlander, but inferior to that of the PHEV
  • Nice creature comforts
  • Lacks refinement in bird's eye view camera system
  • Missing active lane departure feature. Doesn't provide corrective steering.
  • Ride is quiet. Suspension matches Outlander.
  • Suspension is DEFINITELY NOT ample for anything performance. Way too soft.
  • CVT programming is much more responsive than that of the Sport! (which is total shit)
  • WHY, Mitsubishi, would you put a fucking 1.5LT in this thing and NOT tune it for any performance whatsoever!!! No torque for any amount of pick-up required to merge or pass on highway driving!

The puny N/A 2.0L 6A12 in the FTO had way more guts than this, without any F/I! Shoulda just kept the 2.4L at least. Or retained the 3.0L.

The only reason I'm seriously considering buying this is as an upgrade from the Sport... which we already upgraded in 2015 to the 2.4L due to the absence of any usable torque from the N/A 4B11 2.0L. Unfortunately, I like most everything in the Cross compared to the Sport --- except for two things:

1. Engine is horribly underpowered.
  2. Headlights aren't ultra-wide beam like that of the Sport.

So... either we suck it up, sign, and acknowledge that we'll probably have to trade in after two years when they come out with a better engine, or...

Stick with the Sport and maybe upgrade the useless Nav for something better.

Dr. Evo was actually on the Dev Team for this one. Final saving grace.

That's it! My $0.02. Got too many other projects going on anyway to care for another poser quasi-performance Mitsu that really won't pass the muster. :sad: For a daily though, it really isn't too bad... if you don't mind the frustration of dogged acceleration.

(How many times have I said it already? :) )

#7 ·
The only reason I'm seriously considering buying this is as an upgrade from the Sport... which we already upgraded in 2015 to the 2.4L due to the absence of any usable torque from the N/A 4B11 2.0L. Unfortunately, I like most everything in the Cross compared to the Sport
This is really helpful review, thanks! My wife will be trading in her 2016 Outlander GT in a few weeks, and has been patiently awaiting the arrival of the PHEV. She just recently considered the Sport SEL (2.4) to go cheaper for a few years (and wait for the 2019 Euro spec PHEV, w/ bigger/refined gas engine), but now hearing this I might suggest she test drive the Eclipse Cross as well. How does the cargo compare to the Outtie Sport?

Having a 4G Eclipse and Eclipse Cross in our stable would bring much internet forum ridicule and possibly death threats from the DSM community, but it sounds like a decent cheaper alternative if the PHEV breaks the budget.

#9 ·
We just got the PHEV on Friday. I'll write up a more formal review soon after I get some good pics and more drive time, but I can say after just a few days the PHEV totally outclasses the GT, Eclipse Cross, and Sport. The interior is a noticeable step above the regular GT, as well as suspension, brakes, and acceleration. This may be the car that takes Mitsubishi out of last place, finally. With sales up 46% in June, I think they may have turned a corner with the PHEV, easily their best car since the Evolution.

#10 ·
Congrats, man! Yeah, I agree about the performance aspect of the PHEV being in some ways even better than the Evo (stock). The AWC on the PHEV is unreal!

We got the Cross too. And there are a lot of positives - just like you're saying about the PHEV. (Lots of tech, better output compared to the Sport 2.4L, etc.) But also a lot of negatives - purely from a technical perspective.

It's a VERY comfortable cruising vehicle. It spoils you from a creature-comforts perspective. But I'm quite bummed out about the latter, as I was really hopeful to get some more out of tuning.

A few things I've found:

1. First and most importantly, the CVT. I haven't gotten an official response from Jatco yet about the exact torque rating (max, safest) about the CVT8 on this thing.
    But, according to the FSM, it's the variant with the steel belt and not chain. That tells me that it's got the weaker of the two. Factory rating on the Cross of 184 lb-ft is spot on with what Jatco rates the CVT to handle - which is a TOTAL BUZZKILL for anyone wanting to get more torque out of tuning!
  2. According to the FSM, there is no exhaust manifold. That means to push more power, it's all on headwork and porting. And though earlier marketing / press kits mentioned this, the FSM confirms it. No joy for people in even putting a different kind of turbo on there other than that with a 100% compatible turbo exhaust port flange. (4-bolt - looks like an RHF5 or TD05H flange, but can't confirm unless we actually pull it out.)

On a good note, there's a lot of inefficiencies with the muffler, and possibly even the downpipe. As for the complete exhaust system, there's a pre-cat, 2 resonators, cat, and muffler (of which the routing is ridiculous btw).

I'm sure intake and FMIC piping could use some love, too. But if to affect only marginal gains, I'm really disillusioned. Unless someone can tell me otherwise, the only way to even realize gains with this platform would be to do an Engine/Trans swap. Or at least a Transmission swap to a DCT470 (SST).

S-AWC on the Cross is not bad, though it's triggered by brake pressure - which means Traction Control needs to be on for it to be always effective.

Again, lots to love... but a lot I'm worried for. I regret to confirm that the Cross really and truly is not a tuning vehicle.

Will let you know in a month's time after Kozmic's had a week with it. Though they've already said they won't want to do much knowing it's got a CVT.

#11 ·
Oh man that's really disappointing about the tuning situation. I was hoping there was some hot hatch/shooting brake potential with the Cross, it's a good looking car with a lot of upside otherwise. The lack of cargo was the deal breaker for us. The Outlander is just so versatile for a family, and the PHEV was a no brainer after owning two GTs, such a step up! Super interested to hear more about the Cross as you get familiar with it, congrats!

I mentioned in my MOD 2018 post that the goddamn board of directors of Mitsubishi Japan and MMNA were holding Q&A's with us loyalists. My wife and I did a panel with a bunch of hardcore Montero people and some new Cross owners. Good news is they're finally listening. Fucking finally. Good reviews from all the Cross peeps, hopefully RRM will start some R&D!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.