Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Review

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  n-e-o 
#1 ·

The new Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross is exactly what the automaker needs and what many customers want, with a splash of unique styling and high tech goodies to round out the package.

Summing it up is easy: The Eclipse Cross is another compact crossover for Mitsubishi, but one that’s more focused on style, handling, and technology than the more family-friendly Outlander and value-packed but smaller Outlander Sport(called the RVR in Canada).

Mitsubishi is offering another crossover because that’s all people want to buy right now. The brand wants to be a destination for crossover-crazed consumers and the new Eclipse Cross is part of the plan.
Read more about the 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Review at AutoGuide.com.

Admin edit:
Shrunk the picture to better fit the forum's formatting
See original here:
http://www.autoguide.com/blog/wp-co...w/2018-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Cross-Review-28.JPG

See less See more
#12 ·
Man, I had a lively conversation with the guys at the local dealership about the new Cross, and in a nutshell, here's my perspective:

1. I really hope it succeeds. The goal being to make money for Mitsubishi to be relevant again. So they can start designing something worth buying to enjoy.
  2. Just as with any enthusiast, it's an affront. Even worse is creating an e-Evolution that's a CUV... but, again, I'll take it for what it's worth - an attempt at being relevant again. At least the e-Evolution tries to live up to its name of being truly high-tech.
  3. Electronics and soft-touch features doth maketh a car --- all depending on the demographic. In that same vein, please stop pretending that a small-displacement, econo-Turbocharged AWD SUV will appeal to the run-of-the-mill gearhead. This is no SRT-4 Caliber. So therefore, it will always annoy Mitsu enthusiasts holding on to their dreams to see an "Eclipse" plastered behind a CUV like this. (Unless they decide to make a variant that isn't out to compete with a RAV-4 or CX-3.)
  4. My expectation is that this version of the Eclipse Cross won't last more than one single generation lifecycle. What is that in MMC years? Seven? Ten? (In the case of the Evo X)
  5. But, in all earnest, I will place my hope in the fact that they did name this Eclipse specifically the Cross. If it does succeed, then I hope it becomes a platform of sorts that appeals to a kind of market ---- say, those who find "fun, sporty, I drive to enjoy" their primary driver in purchasing a vehicle - regardless of the form factor. With much luck, the "Eclipse" can be like the last "Lancer" --- where there's an Evo, a midsize econo sedan, a Ralliart, and a Sportback. One for several price points use cases.

Now I know salespersons are out to make money. That's their purpose in this ecosystem. And that's fine. But it irks me when anyone, not just sales staff, try to change my mind about something I know a whole lot more about. That this will be better than the Lancer. My response:

You can't dream up a way to slap an FIA certification sticker on this vehicle. You can't rally this. And even if anyone wanted to, there isn't a division within Mitsubishi that ever will.

I sincerely hope to be proven wrong someday. But won't hold a candle to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.