Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had RRE headers a few years now, and the car is running better than ever. At some point soon tho, I have to assume the 3rd cat will start to clog and fail due to age and especially since running headers.

So 2 questions,
1) what are symptoms of a failing 3rd cat?

2) I'm inclined to replace w/ OEM cat and pipe, but has anyone had good experience with a high-flow aftermarket 3rd cat? Do all cat-back systems delete the 3rd cat? I'm not interested in a 3rd cat delete.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or I'll just throw on a test pipe and call it a day.

·
Basically Stock
5,666 Posts
Symptoms are reduced fuel economy, reduced power, high EGT, and sometimes a fluttering sound when cracked.

Not all catbacks remove it, some add high flow cats which won't pass California emissions regulations, but are a cat still. They're a safer bet if there's any risk of inspections than straight pipe. That said, a high flow cat still means you've got to be tuned in a way that supports a cat, else you risk premature wear and damage on it. That means reduced power and fuel economy

·
Super Moderator
331 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHEMs7zaON4

This was right before I gutted my cats. Exhaust attempting to escape from any opening in the pipe before the cat. Also, the headers would get really hot, if you have a IR Thermometer, you'll be able to see that.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very helpful, thank you both!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts