Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The flimsy construction of the Eclipse interior door handle is a common problem. There are many reported cases of the door handle breaking if pulled too hard.

The handle is bound to break again so when I ordered my replacement I came up with a simple solution to strengthen so it doesn't happen again.

Replacements are about $23.00 and available on E-bay or through your Mitsubishi dealer part # 7221A069HA or alternate part # MN177391HA for the left hand (drivers) side or # 7221A070HA or alternate part # MN162104HA for the passenger side.

The handle is composed of two parts that snap together with some clips. Separate the two halves with a screw driver with the handle (can be done with handle still on the car). After, use a metric socket wrench to remove the handle from the door panel. There are also two small screws ; one each near the bottom and top that screw in with the heads coming from the interior of the door panel. You have to remove the door panel to get to the heads, but I did not bother. I simply punched the butts of the screws out from the plastic handle and let them fall.

When I got my new handle I took two part Epoxy (i.e JB Weld ) and filled the cells surrounding where the handle is most likely to break; all around the hole where it mounts to the door as well as smearing a layer on the inside of the bolt hole.You can use a bit of tape to cover where the epoxy might ooze out until it drys. After that dried I flipped the new handle to strengthen the other side, the part that faces in towards the door. Let the parts dry overnight.

After I installed the handle and snapped the two halves together I took one final precaution. I took four beefy cable ties and strapped the two halves together ! I used white ones that I had lying around, the cable ties also come in black. Make sure you get ones long enough to go around the entire handle, and pull them as tight as you can with a needle-nose pliers. This gives the handle more rigidity and I expect the darn thing should last until the car is junked ! Well I love my Eclipse, and plan on keeping it for a long time ! Let me know if you found this repair useful, any questions or comments !

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just took mine to the dealer and they replaced both. Warranty work. I don't understand why they make our door handles so cheap. We should not be afraid to have our door handles ripped off or broken.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Weak door handles have been a problem in the Eclipse through the generations. Good fix, but do you think the cable ties are completely necessary? They kind of kill the look for me, but I'm down with the epoxy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you think the cable ties are completely necessary?
Yes the ties are important, otherwise the handle will break in the middle (instead of around the bolt holes). The ties give it 2x more strength. As an alternative you can fill ALL the cells or simply epoxy the two halves together after you have bolted the one half to the car.

If you glue them together make sure you mark a round hole on the outside (where the bolt holes go) in case you have to drill through to remove !

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Took one of mine apart today. Didn't use a screwdriver, just pulled the first half off by hand. Seems like the piece that is really stressed is the back piece that is screwed to the door. The front piece is just trim, there isn't much stress on it.

I don't have anything broken yet, but I can see the day. I'm thinking I'll epoxy re-enforce only the back piece, let it dry, then put it back on the door. That way, I still have a stronger door handle, and because I didn't glue the two pieces together, it'll all come apart again, just the way it is supposed to.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The epoxy is a good idea. Perhaps using more epoxy throughout the handle would make up for not using tie straps. You couldn't pay me a daily fee to drive around with tie straps on the inside of the car

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can some one tell me what sizes the bolts are I'm miss 2 bolts on one side and cant seem to find the bolt size anywhere I know it's a 10mm head on the bolt just trying to find replacements

1 - 12 of 12 Posts