Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was it hard? Blew my engine and thinking of swapping it. What kind of problems you run into? And around how much did it cost you

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's been AWHILE since I last was on here probably about a year maybe year & half but I can definitely agree with the members above @Curlycarlos @Sabertooth^2
How hard was it, price, list of things needed as far as any custo work etc PLLZZZ share don't be shy 😉

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,658 Posts
It's been AWHILE since I last was on here probably about a year maybe year & half but I can definitely agree with the members above @Curlycarlos @Sabertooth^2
How hard was it, price, list of things needed as far as any custo work etc PLLZZZ share don't be shy 😉
If you've got a good condition 4G69, you won't really see any gains going 4G63 below about 600hp (you'll actually just see worse fuel economy and more lag). Beyond the 600 mark, you start getting into territory of needing a cam upgrade to not have to run stupid high boost for the power, and then the DOHC's VVT becomes an advantage. The 63 head flows much worse, so you'll need to do a built head on it anyway, but at least you can keep the low RPM profile mild on exhaust and intake sides with DOHC unlike the MIVEC SOHC. Unless of course you're looking to do a non MIVEC build, in which case, I haven't seen anything to suggest it being worthwhile to swap to a lower flowing heavier head.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you've got a good condition 4G69, you won't really see any gains going 4G63 below about 600hp (you'll actually just see worse fuel economy and more lag). Beyond the 600 mark, you start getting into territory of needing a cam upgrade to not have to run stupid high boost for the power, and then the DOHC's VVT becomes an advantage. The 63 head flows much worse, so you'll need to do a built head on it anyway, but at least you can keep the low RPM profile mild on exhaust and intake sides with DOHC unlike the MIVEC SOHC. Unless of course you're looking to do a non MIVEC build, in which case, I haven't seen anything to suggest it being worthwhile to swap to a lower flowing heavier head.
Gotcha alright man, appreciate the info, I was considering going 4g69 boost after I get tired of my 6g75 mivec build but I just love that torque & power band, shit I might even go boost on this motor over the 4g69 but that's in the maybe category, so much & so many routes you can choose to go on this platform 👍🏼

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,658 Posts
Gotcha alright man, appreciate the info, I was considering going 4g69 boost after I get tired of my 6g75 mivec build but I just love that torque & power band, shit I might even go boost on this motor over the 4g69 but that's in the maybe category, so much & so many routes you can choose to go on this platform 👍🏼
Boosted 6G75 seem to act about the same with a rear mount or wrong length manifold setup (as most are) as a proper 4G69 setup does lag wise. It's a much larger motor, so is more forgiving, but that engine bay and layout just doesn't work well for a performance car in my opinion. You're almost always losing something or having to compromise. I have seen a proper 6G75 manifold setup ONCE, the guy was asking about $2000 for them. Beautiful manifold, very well made, each bank equal length to a collector at the turbo for twin scroll. But I don't think he ever sold a single one, and as such, haven't seen a video of a car with it.

If I had to keep the engine where it is, had a massive budget (someone else's money, lol) and had to stay Mitsubishi engine, I'd do an AWD swap first, then do a boosted 4G64 block with a 63 or 69 head. Capped around 600hp, overbuilt as hell, with an upgraded evo 5 speed trans from Shep. Straight cut 1-2-3-4 gears, helical 5, with a longer final drive (fewer gear changes, more time in boost)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts