Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the Eclipse missing? Traction, power at the rear, and weight balance.

So here's the build thread to focus on my 4G, mid engine, rear drive 2 seater build. 4GMR2. Sorry Toyota.

The car started life with Plain Jane around here, but after an unfortunate incident at the track which may or may not have been related to running 5W-20 while racing (don't do it), the engine decided it had enough of living. Plane Jane had life in the way, and so the car needed a new home. So I took over.

Credit where it's due, here's his build thread.

It was a sad day for Plane Jane, and a day with mixed feelings for me, taking over a friend's car. I still have a hard time referring to it as anything but his.
Here it was, leaving to a new life.

This is where I took over. The end of his build thread, minus a good engine. The cylinder walls are scored, the bearings are shot. It has no oil pressure.

Quickly, it found space with a friend nearby

And had fun watching the stripper take it all off

Then getting forked out in the parking lot

But here's where the car sits now.

Today was a productive day, with the seats coming out, gas tank, fuel straps, seats, some trim, center console, rear subframe, evap components, fuel filler neck, the wrappers of 3 Cliff bars, and some other stuff, such as the mouse poop from 3 Cliff bars which I may have been rolling around in (hint: yeah I was before I knew it was there)

So, next up, I've got to pick up some blades, and I'll be cutting out the rear end sheet metal. Everything between the frame rails is coming out.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is what I created the aero model for.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today, I got the floor cut out between the frame rails. I measured it out, and I'll be cutting the frame rails out next. They're too narrow to fit the engine and trans.

Here's how it looked when mocked up before I was done cutting. The engine will sit where the back seats were, and I'll have plenty of rear space for stuff such as the exhaust and eventually turbos.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For sure. More will come out still once the frame rails go in. But for almost everything that came out the back, something structural is going in. Some stuff may just go, like the rear pockets of the fender wells. I may also tub it, depending how the McPherson setup wants to play with that. I have some regrets not just going full out and going double wishbone

Interior wise, nearly everything is coming out. The skeleton of the dashboard, pedals, shifter, the instrument cluster, and the steering will still be there. Otherwise, out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bending the air inwards would be a challenge. Wouldn’t you risk adding drag and slowing the car down?

The only experience I’ve ever had with a mid-mount engine is the Fiero GT I had back in the day (a seriously fun car to drive, it really gets a bad rep) and that uses the negative space behind the back window as an air intake.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, not any real risk of adding drag from that design. Taking air away in front of the rear wheels by routing it into the engine bay would lessen the air reaching the rear wheels, lowering turbulent outflow, reducing overall wake. Similar to what it's like when people put body panels fully covering the rear wheel does, but without the brake cooling loss. I may have to add spats though to add some low pressure zone in behind the inlets to draw air out of the engine bay in the back to cool the brakes, however.

And using low pressure behind the window for an intake sounds like a lazy compromise. But, the Fiero was all about GM keeping a good design from competing with the Corvette. It's why the original double wishbone suspension was kept out of play until the last model year, engine power was knocked down, brakes shrunk, etc.

Did you check out the aero models? It'll respond very well to front fender outlets, a wide sideskirt, and pod intakes at the rear fenders even. I'm also going to run almost no rear bumper. All that space I cut out is being left open, maybe a grille to stop curious kids fingers, but that's all. It's a track toy being built for no class rules, just following safety guidelines of high speed classes. The body is going to be cut up in so many ways for aero, and the panels replaced with fiberglass quite a bit for weight reduction.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m down with no rear bumper, being honest I’m not a huge fan of the 4G rear end (I’ve named my car Miley because I think my car looks like it’s twerking).

Can’t wait to see the suspension, I have no clue how to tune a suspension and am looking forward to learning.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's basically going to be factory suspension, just a second set of front suspension in the rear. When it first drives, it'll literally just be front struts/springs/sway bar in the rear. I'll probably stiffen up the sway bar a bit though in the back to kill some oversteer.

I'll be checking in with a chassis tuning company later on with the project when I'm ready to drop $4000 in suspension components.

I mocked up the frame with painters tape the other day, and basically all that's standing in my way now is that pesky front engine. I've got no motivation to pull it lately, mostly because of the passenger axle carrier and some water on my shop floor that won't dry up I'm sure, lol

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Old engine is out, that's another step in the right direction.

Now I can re-assemble the front end, create a solution for the wheel bearings to be supported still (ours aren't designed to be driven on without axles up front, as per the factory service manual), create a jig, cut the last bit out of the back, then it's down to cutting and welding the steel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that it’s the torque on the castle nut that the wheel bearing is designed for?

Could that be solved by simply using a bolt and nut in place of an axle?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts