Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I made a mess, and took a terrible blurry picture (low phone battery, wouldn't go any clearer)

The dashboard bracing is out, and being cleaned up before painting. Shifter cables are out. Airbag module out. I'm going to keep the heater, as it's much nicer than a rag on a stick to defog windows, and a rag on a stick doesn't do much for ice inside your window in the winter. I fully intend to take this to winter autoX events

Power steering lines are now looped

I also took apart a pair of CV joints, and stuck the ends in the hubs. If I had brakes, the front end could be on the ground at this point.

Next up, wiring harness simplification. I need to remove all the stereo related wiring, and the airbag related wiring.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Today, a huge parts order went in.

For GT guys interested, these pads and rotors are actually Stoptechs at budget prices. Same materials, same finish, same company, different name and price. The rotors are the normal G3500 Stoptechs with OEM design. The pads are the Stoptech racing series pads, which they hilariously actually don't list through Stoptech for the 4G, but on other platforms it's the same materials and design. It's front end only, as I had no need for "rear" style anything. It took a fair bit of digging and learning part number sequence meanings, but I found them!

On top of that;
-4 new outer tie rods ordered (front and, umm, other front)
-Oil pump
-Timing kit
-Water pump
-Spark plugs

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The wiring cleanup started tonight. I've got a lot of harness to open, but it's going now. I also cleaned up the dash bar, painted it, cleaned and painted the steering column, and now I'm stuck waiting on the stuff to dry. It's a paint/rust converter in one, and I don't expect it to cure very fast. Apparently I had 3 cans of old GM rust converter

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been gone for what only seems like a week and DAMN you've made so much progress!!! If you don't continue to keep us updated on this I will personally come to the great white north and provide a new sense of motivation ;D

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I've been gone for what only seems like a week and DAMN you've made so much progress!!! If you don't continue to keep us updated on this I will personally come to the great white north and provide a new sense of motivation ;D
Hahaha, well, the interior should go back together today, then the front end together next week when I get the last of the parts in (brake pads, but they might come Friday, in which case, definitely Friday the front touches the ground).

I had my frame design looked at by a milwright, added one more brace to the design, and it should be good to go. I need to stop being lazy, measure out the required material, and order the steel.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Lots of spaghetti is out, HVAC is back in, dash structure in, steering column back in. It really hurt me to put the HVAC back in, but it's only about 30lbs wet, and will keep me warm and my windows clear. I'm just about ready to start engine wiring. I have a good idea how I'm going to run it all as well, and it'll preserve a lot of factory function and wiring as well compared to my original idea. In short, rather than move the ECU, I'll just extend all the wires from the ECU to the engine/trans. It'll keep the body harness intact, and save me running a mountain of wire.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Front end is together and on the ground in all its massive lift kit looking glory (stock front springs for now). So that was suspension together, outer tie rods, calipers, rotors, pads.

Rear subframe got prepped a bit. Here it's being shampooed for optimal volume and silky feeling.

I measured everything out including height, and rolled in the subframe for now. I plan to clean rust off and repaint some areas, just didn't have the paint.

And the steering is all working, with new outers. The wheel turns with about the same force as an Audi TT now, which is fantastic. That's with no power steering. It also doesn't feel like a drained rack, as I looped it. I left a little expansion area at the top of the lines for air, so it removes pumping losses. It's smooth, and solid. How I wish the eclipse steering always felt. I'm sure with the engine in it'll firm up a bit. But it's still going from a 60:40ish F:R bias to a 40:60ish, so it won't be a ton of added load to the front.

Some other small stuff happened, like cleanup, fuel door put on, and only god knows because I forgot. It was hot out, and I got sickeningly dehydrated at one point. I'm just glad I was indoors. I'm glad I don't do this in a driveway in the blazing sun or hiding behind a snow wall in the winter anymore

Who has ideas for the steering wheel? I've got a spare one I can play with to re-wrap it with something, but I'm not artistic in that way or experienced with the different cloth types. Any community input?

Attachments

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I wouldn't suggest it on a front engine Eclipse, as the weight will ruin the ride. It'll be almost as stiff as when the car is turned off. But anyways:

The two lines that come off the steering rack, the high pressure feed in, and the low pressure out. I drained a little fluid from those lines (not the rack) and then cut them, and connected them together with a barbed fitting.

It's easier to turn and doesn't have the weird mushy feeling that normally you'd run into because you're not fighting against a pump, or a system under pressure when turned. It's free flowing when looped, and feels very close to a manual rack (although the steering ratio is nowhere near what a manual rack would be, we have a very fast rack)

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Gravity allows the fluid to drop down, but the fluid isn't free flowing entirely because of the valves inside the rack.

The valves inside pump fluid from one side to the other, but because they aren't pushing against fluid in a finite space, the pumping losses are minimal. Like a bicycle pump that isn't hooked up to a tire, the pressure flows away quite freely to atmosphere without doing work. So the flow rate is high, and pumping effort is low.

Lubrication still comes from the fluid moving through when the rack is turned, it just pumps its own fluid for itself from reservoir to reservoir (the hoses being the reservoirs in this case)

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Alright, I had a bit of a delay doing some shop cleanup and redoing my driveway. But there's progress happening again.

The engine I'll be using is finally on a stand, the trans I'll be using is off of the old likely wrecked engine from the car (although still ran somehow after 5000km low oil pressure). Next up, cleaning, timing, new manifold studs, oil pump, water pump. I really don't want to put in the effort to port match an intake manifold right now, but probably should... Surely I'd regret NOT doing it, but I can always swap to a different manifold later. I'd get more enjoyment driving it than being delayed more.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ok, some updates.

The trans is prepped for painting, and looks like it's made of plastic

Intake manifold is prepped (I know I painted the flange, but it wasn't ready to seal anyway)

I got some seat mounting brackets

And the electrical systems are working, aside from the clock, which I suspect is a fuse missing (I pulled most fuses)

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is a build that I would love to see with my own eyes.

Next level up is to completely flip the AWD conversion around and make a mid-engine AWD

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
This is a build that I would love to see with my own eyes.

Next level up is to completely flip the AWD conversion around and make a mid-engine AWD
Doable, but with a very different transmission that is out of my budget. I also wanted rear drive anyway, as it's a circuit car. Maybe when it's 600whp AWD would be an advantage for lap times, but for much of its life, RWD will be better. I wanted the ultimate cornering/handling 4G, and asking the front wheels to power the car as well as steer and primarily brake overloads them, causing understeer

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Some more stuff is prepped and ready to go. It's just too damn hot to work right now. It should be cooling down in a couple days, then some big steps can happen...

I have some welds to drill out in the rear, and then the strut jig goes in. Once it's in, I'm aligning it with the help of a jack, rollers, and wooden shims, then securing it by welding 1/2" rod to connect the subframe to the body. That's just to hold the alignment and is a temporary measure. It will give one less area that could possibly move while doing the frame rails, an dis one of the most crucial parts of the project to get right.

October 16th is the last track day, and I'd like to get out there for it, even if it means the suspension isn't dialed in.

I also found that the factory tank in the front idea won't work, as it's too big. So I'll be needing a fuel cell.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This might be a stupid question, but here goes…

Ideally, would you want the drive axels to be parallel to the road, or is there an advantage to be had with a slight angle? Someone told me once that you want a slight negative camber for racing, but I heard that a long time ago and may just mot be rememberingcorrectly

21 - 40 of 43 Posts