Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
41 - 60 of 130 Posts

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ideal for the axles would be straight out, yes. Less CV wear. But it wouldn't be ideal for the control arms, as you'd be rocking them past the neutral point. Optimally, they point downwards and never come above flat. Anyone with a 3" drop has their car too low for optimal suspension geometry. You'd need to raise the subframes in order to be that low properly.

·
Basically Stock
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
To give an idea of the level of strength, here's a shot of the firewall area. The bottom bar's purpose is to transmit driveline flex directly into the unibody tub. It does this by being butted right up to the tub's main rib, and will be stitch welded to it. Any twist will have no option but to be moved to it. That rail connects to the unibody's main rib along the entire length to the outer rails (from the firewall, to door sills, to back wheels, rear suspension, subframe, etc, it's a major rail). I had to notch the factory frame rib to do so, but the material I've added in is much stronger.

4 hours of cutting/hammering/grinding/lifting/climbing messed up my back for the day, so I'll need to set the harness bar height another time. It SHOULD be right, it has been measured out once before. But, measure twice cut once. This car is being made to fit me, not for a team to swap in and out of. I will however have two harness bar settings, should there be a tall or short passenger. Safety is key. Too short, and they could ride up in the harness and not be secure. Too tall, they could break their shoulders/clavicle in a crash. Harnesses aren't something to screw around with. They can be as dangerous as they can be safe, depending on setup. Roller coasters have height range requirements, and so do racecars.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Basically Stock
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
It's been a while since I updated this.

The rear end is nearly together. 3 bars per side still needed, plus some braces and welds (weird camera effect, the car is NOT twisted lol)
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Front end is a few bolts from together
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Tire

And a fuel cell now lives up front. The stock tank didn't fit.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
resident crossplatformer
1,485 Posts
it just occured to me that you can use whatever headers you want with this conversion, you could even make a custom tall intake manifold and it would flawlessly fit

·
Basically Stock
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Sure can. What I'm doing first off though is RRE headers. The exhaust will be true dual, with a 90 sending the pipes to the side, then out the back with another. Likely 2.5" pipe as that's what the header is already, and I want to dyno it and see what true dual shorty 2.5" do for power. 279whp last up. Hopefully 300 with some changes I've made.

·
resident crossplatformer
1,485 Posts
300 is historically very possible with bolt ons, headers and a tune with these engines, none MIVEC, I think the record is sub 300whp, but that was at high altitude with a built engine and lacking a good tune. Are you going to use the stock engine control or something else?

·
Basically Stock
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
On the 4G GT manual, usually in the 275-285whp area is seen by the dyno numbers posted here. Other trans may be a lighter/lower friction design maybe. Nobody has shown a 300whp dyno on here that I've seen with just bolt ons. Usually a ported intake manifold or oxygenated fuels like ethanol or methanol find their way in. I expect my massive loss in bottom end should trade off for some extra at the top, assuming the pipe volume and length doesn't just kill scavenging due to dead time between pulses (which could then just give me a big drop in power)

·
resident crossplatformer
1,485 Posts
I might have been mistaken then, it probably was with a ported intake manifold, some guys did also play around with reducing drivetrain loss with lighter wheels.

Exhaust length doesn't particularly play much at all with scavanging, but going too large in diameter would kill low end without higher BMEP (however you might do that). I'm painted into a weird corner because the engine going into my car is likely pushing 400HP at the crank may choke on the Y pipe outlet from race type headers from RPW

·
Basically Stock
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Length matters for the maximum velocity of the gasses coming out. Too long, you begin to stall them and they turn to pressure. Too short, you don't get the full benefit of the energy released (like too long or too short a barrel on a gun) and won't get optimal scavenging. My end goal is still turbos, and twin 2.5" pipes were going to happen for that anyway. So even if I see losses, we still gain some data, and then I'll still have the pipe ready to go for when boost happens (it'll be a while)

Hopefully yours will play nicely with what you've got going. 400 is a great number out of a 6G, and I need to read up on what you've got into yours

·
resident crossplatformer
1,485 Posts
That makes sense, I didn't think about it that way

RPW a time ago made twin turbo exhaust manifolds for the 6g7 SOHC 24v platform, they might have a pair sitting on a shelf somewhere

I'll throw together a build thread on here sooner or later, my old one was at Galant Tuners which that forum no longer exists, it is just a matter of getting a couple hours behind my computer to do it

·
Basically Stock
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The stars didn't align last up, and I got sick for a few days so progress stalled.

Yesterday, I finished the lower frame rails, finished the subframe mounts, got the passenger side strut mount and strut in, got the material cut for the driver's side strut mount. I just need a hand holding the strut up while I bolt it in from below.

Once the strut plates are in, I'll brace both to the lower rail, and the engine goes in

Vehicle Tire Car Hood Automotive lighting

·
Basically Stock
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
you could use two of these and sell the intercoolers to recoup some of the cost, maybe it is possible to just buy the turbo manifolds individually
The link isn't working for me. But, I'll still probably just make my own if I do them right off the manifolds. Otherwise, they'll both just go behind the engine. There's about 3' of space there (from the rear motor mount back is empty space for the exhaust stuff)

·
resident crossplatformer
1,485 Posts
The link isn't working for me. But, I'll still probably just make my own if I do them right off the manifolds. Otherwise, they'll both just go behind the engine. There's about 3' of space there (from the rear motor mount back is empty space for the exhaust stuff)

More for the pre made manifolds than anything

41 - 60 of 130 Posts