Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
And the other 2 braces are done, with each side looking like this. Those braces will take the tension force from the spring.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Tomorrow's goal, mock up the engine/trans, figure out placement of a couple reinforcements for the upper/lower rails (I have a general idea, but there are a few inches of play depending if I need them for easier access to something), cut and weld those braces in, bolt the engine/trans in place.

·
Basically Stock
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
In is in, even if the mount isn't painted yet.

Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design Vehicle

So to make myself feel better and keep breaking things down into a list so it's not as intimidating
No particular order:

Fuel rails on
Block off plates for the manifold
Axles on
Brakes on
Make a brake line to the passenger rear
Steering rack simulator
The missing bellhousing bolts
Starter motor
A couple more braces (upper to lower side rails)
Firewall (probably rivet on some aluminum)
Firewall window (polycarbonate or plexi)
Fuel lines
Fuel pump
Fuel pump wiring
Fuel pressure regulator
Engine harness on
Extend the engine harness to the ECU
Sway bar end links on
Tie rod ends on
Shifter assembly bolted in (already customized)
Shifter cables onto the trans (they reach)
Custom exhaust
Side intake pods
Tail lights
Bumper
Hatch
Wheels on
Seats in
Fix the clock grounding (dash structure is coated and nothing can ground to it)
Make a base map tune

And then I guess test drive? It looks like a huge list. But it's all just normal car stuff, for the most part. Almost no trickery.

·
Registered
2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
10 Posts
In is in, even if the mount isn't painted yet.

View attachment 102918

So to make myself feel better and keep breaking things down into a list so it's not as intimidating
No particular order:

Fuel rails on
Block off plates for the manifold
Axles on
Brakes on
Make a brake line to the passenger rear
Steering rack simulator
The missing bellhousing bolts
Starter motor
A couple more braces (upper to lower side rails)
Firewall (probably rivet on some aluminum)
Firewall window (polycarbonate or plexi)
Fuel lines
Fuel pump
Fuel pump wiring
Fuel pressure regulator
Engine harness on
Extend the engine harness to the ECU
Sway bar end links on
Tie rod ends on
Shifter assembly bolted in (already customized)
Shifter cables onto the trans (they reach)
Custom exhaust
Side intake pods
Tail lights
Bumper
Hatch
Wheels on
Seats in
Fix the clock grounding (dash structure is coated and nothing can ground to it)
Make a base map tune

And then I guess test drive? It looks like a huge list. But it's all just normal car stuff, for the most part. Almost no trickery.
It's looking sweet so far! I know nothing about this sort of modifications so I am just wondering. Is there a reason to still keep it transverse rather than pointing forward?

·
Basically Stock
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
It's looking sweet so far! I know nothing about this sort of modifications so I am just wondering. Is there a reason to still keep it transverse rather than pointing forward?
Because I can't afford a $10,000 Porsche trans. Otherwise I'd have gone with that option, and used a longitudinal setup with a Chevy V8 most likely.

There are some advantages in weight distribution to transverse in this case, but only because the engine leans forward. It may also help a bit with cross balancing the suspension setup, but thats not why I did it.

Longitudinal would make for a nicer presentation and easier exhaust routing. But wouldn't give any handling advantages. It would also allow for larger engines to be used, as width isn't such a constraint.

·
Basically Stock
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Bellhousing bolts are in, starter is on, tie rods are on, non-steering rack is built and on, manifold blockoffs are on, motor mounts are all on, fuel lines are semi run but fittings are mostly on (waiting on rail still).... Progress is slower right now than it had been. And also I hate my camera for making everything look warped and distorted.

There's still a bunch to do, but it's quickly becoming electrical work more than metal work

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Basically Stock
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
It rolls. Most of my focus is on shop cleanup, but the car rolls now.

It also sits super high lol. A lot of weight is out, and it has stiffer overall springs than before (rears are 2k rate not 1k like factory). Not a big deal, BC Racing coilovers will solve that

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Basically Stock
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
The fuel rails have AN fittings now
Gas Auto part Wood Automotive exterior Metal

Fuel lines are run under the car (no picture)

My old MIG welder died, so I bought a new one, plus gas
Audio equipment Gas Electronic instrument Motor vehicle Automotive tire

And I started the side braces on the chassis. They'll tie the firewall rails into the main structure at both the upper and lower points. Not being a full cage or full tube frame, a compromise had to be made in their design at the front. I did leave extra there though should I build my own dash structure later on
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Hood

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
If you change the firing order can you make the engine turn the opposite direction and flip the engine around? Probably look better and give you better clearances for a few things?

·
Basically Stock
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Yes, if I redesign the heads and have custom ones built that's possible. But it's a racecar, so aesthetics take a back seat.

If I turned the engine around the other way, I'd lose all the weight advantages as it would hang back instead of hanging forwards.

Overall, it would give a loss of cornering ability, as well as make it more difficult to keep straight on a launch. Though it would launch harder, should the front wheels stay down.

·
Basically Stock
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Started harness wiring. Used 110' of wire, didn't even finish the first plug

And yes, I'm fucking myself overly using yellow. I had 100' of it on a spool, most wires were yellow or had a yellow stripe. Tomorrow (?) if I can get up early enough, I'll either get steel for custom strut tower bars to sell, or nearly a quarter mile of wire.

Light Electrical wiring Auto part Wire Electrical supply

·
Basically Stock
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
The wiring harness is done, mounted, and plugged into the ECU
Clutch line is run and bled, but will be moved
Power/ground wires are run and mounted
Fuel pump wiring is done
Fuel level sending unit wiring is done
Fuel cell bracket is revised
Starter wiring is on
Chairs are ready to go, but would be in the way
Shifter did NOT get mounted, as it's also just in the way if it's not yet needed.

Trouble is, I prepped for 4 gauge power/ground and 8 gauge alternator wires, but ended up stepping to 2 and 6 last minute. I had no way to connect the wiring. It'll be about a week to week and a half before I have the connectors, as nobody stocks them locally. Nobody local sold the oils I wanted to use either, so that puts a second damper on things. That should be here by Friday.

Cooling wise, I'm looking for hoses that'll work for where I need them to reach. Cutting and extending stock with hard line is likely to work, however, and will be tried.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts