Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 08 Eclipse GT auto and randomly this morning the car won’t go over 3k rpms in 4th gear. Any idea what is causing this?

·
2,297 Posts
Gonna need some more info
Is the car stuck in 4th gear? Or just never engages 5th gear? Does the "D"/gear indicator ever blink?
Codes?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gonna need some more info
Is the car stuck in 4th gear? Or just never engages 5th gear? Does the "D"/gear indicator ever blink?
Codes?
it’s not stuck in 4th and it still shifts into 5th, everything still works normal except it won’t go over 3k rpms in 4th gear

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I noticed it was shifting odd while it was in auto so I tried manually shifting and that’s when I couldn’t get it over 3k rpms in 4th gear. Even with flooring the gas pedal it won’t go over 3k rpms, but only in 4th gear.

·
2,297 Posts
Yes, I noticed it was shifting odd while it was in auto so I tried manually shifting and that’s when I couldn’t get it over 3k rpms in 4th gear. Even with flooring the gas pedal it won’t go over 3k rpms, but only in 4th gear.
It's prob just a long gear and you don't have enough power to get over it, is it like a rev limiter, or just climbs extremely slowly?

·
2,297 Posts
The GT has NO issues going over 3000rpm in 4th.

It sounds like some sort of soft limp, odd that it's only one gear.

Scan the trans, see what codes you've got going on. Engine codes could be useful but probably won't cause this
I agree, prob has some trans code stored
Gonna need a more advanced scan tool than a generic one

1 - 8 of 8 Posts