Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've had my 2009 GS for about a month now, and I love the car. The only things I don't like so far are some of the little issues it has.

Imgur album of these things: 2009 Eclipse GS - Album on Imgur

1. The windshield has some streaks in the wiper blade areas, and these streaks cause some annoying flares when looking at the sun or when driving at night with oncoming headlights and such. I've done the fingernail test and can't really tell if they're really fine scratches or something else, because I can't feel them. (picture in album shows this, the other pic shows no streaks in the areas where wipers don't touch). Not sure if there's a polish I could use or if I should replace the windshield all together?

2. Squeaky brakes! They don't squeak after 1 or two stops after starting it up. They squeak when reversing. I'm going to replace the pads soon, but looking at the rotors, there's some oxidation on them. I'm wondering if this is the culprit and if so, is there a way to clean them up without spending the money on new ones?

3. Rust on passenger side fender lip. I ordered a kit from touchupdirect with primer, matched paint and clear coat. should I just sand the underside of the fender lip around the rust and then proceed to primer and paint? I don't have any experience with doing any paint work on a car, so it's a tad intimidating, but I don't want to go to a body shop and for over ~$400+ to get little things like this fixed.

4. Front bumper cover scratches / chipping / peeling. With the kit I ordered above, it's probably not possible to fix these things up myself without making it look like absolute garbage, right? I was wanting to invest in getting a GT style front bumper with the black painted center, like: http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/06032008/a/7/9/5/a7956964518230_full.jpg. Or just have this one repainted like such.

If it's not already obvious, I'm not very experienced with cars, haha. And I go to college and work part-time, so I don't have a whole lot of money to put into stuff and am willing to do some stuff myself.

If anyone has some suggestions on how I should go about taking care of these things, that'd be awesome, as I get really OCD when it comes to keeping my car running and looking nice.

EDIT: I know the car is dirty, haha. That's winter for ya. Just waiting for a nicer, warmer day to get it washed.

·
No Worries
3,881 Posts
Hey Brandon. Here's my 2 cents for each of your concerns:

1. Have you treated the inside or the outside of the windshield? There's special auto glass cleaner that you can use on the outside. I'm more skeptical for cleaning the inside though. If that's not done correctly, then it will leave horrible streaks. Try using newspaper.

2. This is common for all of our cars. Unfortunately the issue is the rear rotors. You're much better off getting the cash to replace them (and the pads) than resurfacing them.

3 and 4. You can watch some videos out there. I don't trust myself with body shop-like repairs though. I understand you're on a tight budget, but it could end up looking worse if you're not careful.

Don't worry about being OCD about your car. I'm willing to bet 99 out of 100 people on the forum feel your pain :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! I'll look into it, but I'm pretty sure the marks or whatever they are on the windshield are on the outside. I've tried using windex on both sides with a paper towel, but didn't do anything. I've never heard of using newspaper though. Do you just use dry newspaper and work at it, or does it need some sort of chemical?

As for the rotors, They're not as expensive as I previously thought. Can get slotted rotors for about $60/piece online, might just do that.

And as far as the paint goes, I could give it a shot since it's not really in a noticable area if I mess up. I've watched a couple videos, and I think i understand how it works, haha. The bumper though, I might just end up getting a new one or having this one repainted, as those spots are too big for me to take on myself.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,168 Posts
There are glass repair products on the market for removing scratches, many involve REALLY fine sanding. I can't say I have any first or second hand experience with them

Don't buy the cheapest rotors you can when you replace them. Cheap metals rust badly. Go for the "premium" brand if you get them at say, autozone.

I've done body work on my car, and can tell you with 0 experience you can get it to still look pretty good. I had a pretty cracked, beaten, and hole filled bumper. I sanded down to the plastic, filled everything with an epoxy like mighty putty, sanded smooth, primed. Primed. Primed even more. Then painted and clearcoated it. You'll be hard pressed to find an EXACT paint match, so try and fade it in (you can do it, I believe in you)

I just used a white primer for plastics. Wasn't a bad go for $8

·
Registered
322 Posts
Squeaking brakes can be numerous things.If you plan on replacing them anyway due to wear I would recommend going with good stock rotors rather than cheap slotted. Also ceramic pads are the way to go if you like quiet brakes. Make sure the hardware is in good shape and everything is clean and lubed wear required. I know squat about body work and windshields.

·
4G Noob
82 Posts
I have read on the internet about using "bartenders friend" for windshield scratches I bought a bottle because I have the same issue on my 07 gs. Just haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Been busy doing "racecar" things. Lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to double check, but after washing it, that crud on the rotors seemed to come off. The front of the rotors seem ok, and I felt around the back and didn't feel any grooves. Might just need new pads.

And I'll have to look into that stuff, never heard of it before. I had someone recommend waxing and buffing the windshield also. Just waiting for some warmer weather. Windchill has been in the negatives all week. Not having a garage sucks, lol.

·
4,111 Posts
Ceramic stove top cleaner is what you need for your window, works very well.

When I give my interior window a clean once a year, it takes me about an hour to clean the windshield, pain in the ass, but when done right will last a year. Plane water, and micro fiber towels.

Try some paint stores. Many 3M stores has a gun to match and make custom paint cans ($15). I got some road rash on my wheels and had to repair them. Outstanding paint match!!

For everything else, you can find it here.
Eclipse Factory Service Manual:
http://tearstone.com/2006-eclipse-factory-service-manual/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ceramic stove top cleaner is what you need for your window, works very well.

When I give my interior window a clean once a year, it takes me about an hour to clean the windshield, pain in the ass, but when done right will last a year. Plane water, and micro fiber towels.

Try some paint stores. Many 3M stores has a gun to match and make custom paint cans ($15). I got some road rash on my wheels and had to repair them. Outstanding paint match!!

For everything else, you can find it here.
Eclipse Factory Service Manual:
2006 Eclipse Factory Service Manual – Tearstone
Thanks, I didn't think about trying stovetop cleaner. Might give that a shot if polishing it with an orbital buffer doesn't work.

Still waiting for a good day to do some of that little paint work. ait's either >50°F and raining or <40°F and sunny. Good ol' Ohio.

In other news, I'm actually getting a CEL now. I had the code read at AutoZone as P0455, large EVAP leak. I looked around a bit at some other people's problems with this code. I crawled under the car to inspect the lines next to the fuel tank, but didn't notice any rust or anything detrimental. I'm only on my first fill up since the CEL came on, so maybe it'll go away hopefully. Gas cap I noticed originally was a bit crooked, so I know that's alright now. Though the cap is off of a Subaru? lol. So i ordered a real gas cap, hopefully that helps. I'd rather not take the car to the stealership to have fixed, even though it's just barelly under the 100k mile / 10 year warranty thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts