Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR: My plan is to go turbo after building the top part of the engine, and since NOBODY makes turbo manifolds for our car, maybe I can Frankenstein it to make something work. So basically the question is-does the Evo 9 MIVEC cylinder head fit right on to the 4g eclipse, and if not does anyone know what I would have to do. I did some digging around the forums and found people saying it's possible, but never what you would have to do to make it fit... Also, would I have to space a Evo manifold a little, or would clearance not be an issue.

Long Story: So basically I'm in high school with a lot of disposable income so money is NOT an issue, I just want to build one of my dream cars. I'm willing to put in the time and effort for whatever needs to be done so I just need information here. My end goal is a street build that (probably) won't blow up on me, and I feel like a good number to go for would be around 250-300whp turbo with a build tranny and a built top end of the motor. 400whp would be amazing but I feel like that's a bit of a stretch. Right now I'm trying to figure out if an Evo 9 MIVEC head would fit on our eclipse, because if it does it'll save me a lot of time and headache because there are actually parts for those cars. I did some digging around the forums and I found people saying it's been done and it's possible but nobody ever says what would have to be done to make it fit. If it just won't work, I can probably modify a 4g63 turbo manifold to fit the 4g69. Thanks to everyone who has knowledge on this!

·
TheSlow4g
2007 GS SE Turbo (In Progress)
124 Posts
You're in the same exact boat I was in. I had the same exact plan down to the horsepower goals. I think your best option is to stick with the stock head. The 4g69 head actually flows better. Get in touch with Alex Kazmirchuk on facebook. He's the one who built mine, and he has built manifolds for many others. He also builds downpipes, and he built a dump pipe for my wastegate. He is very knowledgeable and can help point you in the right direction. Saber and I both have turbo builds, but Saber is miles ahead of me on that one. So if you have any questions you can get in touch with Sabertooth on here. He'll probably end up popping in here, he isn't too hard to find. But, if neither of them are available I'm willing to answer questions to my best ability as well,

The 4g63t/4g69 hybrid is definitely possible, but for your power goals your best option is to just get yourself a small reliable setup and work from there. 250-300whp is a very easy power goal to hit. Probably around 8-10 pounds of boost. 400whp is possible, but with those numbers you're going to want to get the engine rebuilt for power. Anything about that you're going to end up with very little traction.

Like I said, I had the same thought process as you. I was going to do the head swap and just install a bunch of aftermarket evo 8/9 stuff. But, after doing some research I personally feel it's not worth it. You can absolutely still try it, I don't want to crush your dreams, but with those power goals you're better off just having Alex make your parts and Saber, Alex, and I can help you out from there.

Hope this helps : )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're in the same exact boat I was in. I had the same exact plan down to the horsepower goals. I think your best option is to stick with the stock head. The 4g69 head actually flows better. Get in touch with Alex Kazmirchuk on facebook. He's the one who built mine, and he has built manifolds for many others. He also builds downpipes, and he built a dump pipe for my wastegate. He is very knowledgeable and can help point you in the right direction. Saber and I both have turbo builds, but Saber is miles ahead of me on that one. So if you have any questions you can get in touch with Sabertooth on here. He'll probably end up popping in here, he isn't too hard to find. But, if neither of them are available I'm willing to answer questions to my best ability as well,

The 4g63t/4g69 hybrid is definitely possible, but for your power goals your best option is to just get yourself a small reliable setup and work from there. 250-300whp is a very easy power goal to hit. Probably around 8-10 pounds of boost. 400whp is possible, but with those numbers you're going to want to get the engine rebuilt for power. Anything about that you're going to end up with very little traction.

Like I said, I had the same thought process as you. I was going to do the head swap and just install a bunch of aftermarket evo 8/9 stuff. But, after doing some research I personally feel it's not worth it. You can absolutely still try it, I don't want to crush your dreams, but with those power goals you're better off just having Alex make your parts and Saber, Alex, and I can help you out from there.

Hope this helps : )
Yeah I kinda expected something like this which isn’t bad because the whole head swap thing came from not finding anyone who can make a manifold. I’ll definitely get in touch with them and see what happens. My next thing is which turbo to use. I was looking at a 16g off of an evo but what do you think would be good for a good spool.

Thanks a lot!!!😃

·
TheSlow4g
124 Posts
When picking a turbo, not everything is about size. A big thing you want to look at is a/r ratio. Bigger a/r=top end power and lower a/r=better low end performance. A PT6262 with a .63 a/r spools at 2k rpm on a Honda. I have a pt6262 with .82 a/r so it'll take longer to spool, but will make more power. PT6262 is a good "big turbo" to make power for beginners. I've also heard good things about the GT35 and GT28 turbos. Precision and Garrett are pricey, but will be very reliable turbos. A 16g off of an Evo would probably work great for your needs. They should be capable of upwards of 350hp, and it would be cheaper than purchasing a brand new high end turbo. See what Alex has to say about it. Because Alex will probably be the one to tune your car as well.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,054 Posts
Yeah I kinda expected something like this which isn’t bad because the whole head swap thing came from not finding anyone who can make a manifold. I’ll definitely get in touch with them and see what happens. My next thing is which turbo to use. I was looking at a 16g off of an evo but what do you think would be good for a good spool.

Thanks a lot!!!😃
A 16G 10.5t off an Evo 8 MR is a nice turbo, but Alex's manifolds are T3 flange. You'd then be looking at something like a PT5454 as a nice spooly entry level turbo to daily drive. You should be able to hit around 300whp around 8psi of boost. ~340whp is where you start to get fancy, needing head studs, and a new larger MAF housing. Below that, you should be able to do the turbo install on a 4G69 for about the cost of an Evo 9 head swap (about $3000 done yourself, the Evo 9 head is expensive). Even at 7-8psi boost it'll be faster than a GT with all the normal bolt on mods and a tune. It's also enough power to light up the tires in second gear much of the time from a roll, if you're running normal street tires.

Supporting mods are stuff like the MAP sensor (Evo 8/9 sensor), bigger fuel injectors are a must for any boost, charge piping, intercooler, tune, clutch upgrade if manual, scrap the 300whp idea if auto, unless you know a good transmission builder (the GS auto trans stops shifting gears around 250whp has been the finding. For the cost to build the auto trans to handle your goal, you could go all wheel drive)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A 16G 10.5t off an Evo 8 MR is a nice turbo, but Alex's manifolds are T3 flange. You'd then be looking at something like a PT5454 as a nice spooly entry level turbo to daily drive. You should be able to hit around 300whp around 8psi of boost. ~340whp is where you start to get fancy, needing head studs, and a new larger MAF housing. Below that, you should be able to do the turbo install on a 4G69 for about the cost of an Evo 9 head swap (about $3000 done yourself, the Evo 9 head is expensive). Even at 7-8psi boost it'll be faster than a GT with all the normal bolt on mods and a tune. It's also enough power to light up the tires in second gear much of the time from a roll, if you're running normal street tires.

Supporting mods are stuff like the MAP sensor (Evo 8/9 sensor), bigger fuel injectors are a must for any boost, charge piping, intercooler, tune, clutch upgrade if manual, scrap the 300whp idea if auto, unless you know a good transmission builder (the GS auto trans stops shifting gears around 250whp has been the finding. For the cost to build the auto trans to handle your goal, you could go all wheel drive)
Thanks a lot! Yeah it's auto, but I know a couple guys through my grandpa that can build me a transmission. But for the AWD idea, how would that happen.. Like could I take the stuff off of like an outlander or an Evo and port it over? Also maybe for all that, I could manual swap? Not sure if I've seen anyone do that yet though.

·
2,510 Posts
Thanks a lot! Yeah it's auto, but I know a couple guys through my grandpa that can build me a transmission. But for the AWD idea, how would that happen.. Like could I take the stuff off of like an outlander or an Evo and port it over? Also maybe for all that, I could manual swap? Not sure if I've seen anyone do that yet though.
Not so easy to build an auto
AWD on an auto car? Pretty complicated, gonna need the 4cyl Endeavor trans and transfer case, figure out how to wire that up so our ECU is happy and can control it (it's similar but not exact), wouldn't recommend

The easier way is to have a 4cyl manual trans car and just drop in an Evo 4-9 transmission and transfer case, way easier to wire up

Either way, an AWD swap would require the rear subframe from our sister car Endeavor ~2004 models, different gas tank, etc.

Rear diff comes from endeavor or Evo?

I think the driveshaft needs to be made to a custom length too

This is no walk in the park swap

·
TheSlow4g
124 Posts
I'm doing the auto fwd to manual awd swap. Difficulty isn't the issue. Expense is the issue. Most of the mechanical parts just bolt on. Then you'll need bc extreme low coilovers on the rear because the endeavor rear subframe will raise the rear of your car about 5 inches. I have a list of parts that I bought that's a mile long and I list of parts I still have to buy that's even longer. I'm around $8k in parts and I'm no where near finished. (keep in mind some of that 8k went to other mods.) It's definitely a doable thing. Just be financially ready to make a commitment like this. Your car will be sitting for a long time if you go through with this project, but if you don't. You're stuck at 260whp no matter what you do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not so easy to build an auto
I'm doing the auto fwd to manual awd swap. Difficulty isn't the issue. Expense is the issue. Most of the mechanical parts just bolt on. Then you'll need bc extreme low coilovers on the rear because the endeavor rear subframe will raise the rear of your car about 5 inches. I have a list of parts that I bought that's a mile long and I list of parts I still have to buy that's even longer. I'm around $8k in parts and I'm no where near finished. (keep in mind some of that 8k went to other mods.) It's definitely a doable thing. Just be financially ready to make a commitment like this. Your car will be sitting for a long time if you go through with this project, but if you don't. You're stuck at 260whp no matter what you do.
Sheesh well if I was to just do the manual swap and keep it fwd it shouldn’t be anywhere near as bad as the awd swap right?

·
TheSlow4g
124 Posts
Sheesh well if I was to just do the manual swap and keep it fwd it shouldn’t be anywhere near as bad as the awd swap right?
Easier..yes. But as I, and many others, have been told. At that point just buy a different manual 4g eclipse. If you still want to do the swap. Then we can still help you. Most difficult part will probably be dealing with the ecu.

·
2,510 Posts
The thing about our car is that the automatic cars use one type of engine computer and the manual transmissions cars use a similar version but without the automatic control circuitry inside
You would think this would be fine right? As you could just swap an auto car to manual and not utilize the automatic transmission parts of the engine computer? Wrong, there is no way to tell the PCM to turn off the automatic transmission part of itself and switch into a manual mode, so, it will be very confused when it no longer has an auto trans to deal with

no to mention other wiring issues such as the neutral position switch, ignition switch, reverse switch, and even the speedometer sensor

that’s all wiring and computer issues on top of the already complicated and expensive endeavor of actually putting the clutch pedal in properly

If you wanna do an auto to manual trans swap, an old Subaru WRX is the way to go, the ECU’s are the same and it can be switched from mode to the other by a pin grounding out or not telling it to swap from one mode to the other, automatic still requiring a separate TCM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts