Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post a review of this product. I recently purchased an Eclipse and discovered there was an AC condenser leak. The leak was slow, causing the AC to lose approximately 20PSI in a weeks worth of daily use. I decided to try this product as a way to save me some time before returning to the dealer and awaiting a warrantied repair.

Simply put: this product plugged my leak and has not adversely affected the performance of my air conditioner. My car did not start making weird noises, the air did not start smelling funny; it restored factory performance. I paid $28 for the kit, which included the sealant and a recharge hose. When using this product, it is required that you also have a can of refrigerant, as you will immediately need to add some to flush the system and prevent clogging. I recommend that you should have as much on hand as needed to fully fill your system.

According to the product description, the formula contains a "moisture-activated sealant" that plugs the leak when the coolant becomes exposed to the leak. This is simply a fast-acting foam that quickly hardens when exposed to air. As long as the leaks are small, like from rock debris shooting through the lower airdam (this car does have a lower mesh, but it is not fitted well), this product will simply plug the leak and then continue to flow infinitely through the system. I do not know the durability of the foam, but I did make a mistake when trying to use the product that resulted in external spraying, so I'll have gained an idea when I go to clean it off based on it's difficulty in removal from cleaning.

In order for this product to work, your AC system must have some refrigerant flowing through as the system needs to have enough pressure to seal and vacuum itself. I do not know the threshold for back pressure to prevent this product from clogging the system. When I used the product, I had a reading of 15PSI. If your system does not have any pressure, you will need to add some refrigerant before using the product, but do not fill the system to full pressure. 15PSI worked for me, so that seems to at least be enough.

Another important factor when using the product is the ambient temperature, as if it's too cold or hot outside the sealant will dry too slow or too fast and potentially clog the lines. The recommended range is 70-85 degrees. It was 78 degrees when I used the product. Once it fully hardens, the external temperature won't matter.

I've used the AC for a full week since using this sealant and recharging the system and the pressure in the system is the same now as it was when I added my refrigerant, 35PSI (I underestimated the amount of coolant I would need, I bought one can when I should have gotten two). The AC is blowing nice and cold I'm pretty happy I didn't have to lose half my day dropping my car off and getting a rental.

tl;dr: They wouldn't sell this stuff if it didn't occasionally work. These products are worth considering if you can follow instructions. I followed all of the instructions in this video for a competing product that works the same way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--3J7uROKrM.

·
Mr. Offensive
6,708 Posts
Nice review. I just replaced my condenser today. Glad this fixed your leak and i hope it doesnt give you any problems in the future. I've been having a 4 year battle with my AC. once i replace one part, the other goes out. Ive replaced every component except for lines at this point. hopefully this fixes the problem though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just posting an addendum; the sealant appears to be pretty durable. I had quite a bit of difficulty removing the over-spray from the engine bay. The product required a degreaser, soaking and multiple applications, and I could not completely remove it from the crevices around the power steering fluid reservoir without a toothbrush. Dry rubbing did not create any flaking.

·
4,111 Posts
I'll have to keep this Post in mind, condensers are expensive to change out, $500, and this site has seen many members with damaged condensers do to rock damage.

·
Gamer
6,900 Posts
Nice review. I just replaced my condenser today. Glad this fixed your leak and i hope it doesnt give you any problems in the future. I've been having a 4 year battle with my AC. once i replace one part, the other goes out. Ive replaced every component except for lines at this point. hopefully this fixes the problem though.
I hear you on this one,
- condenser had a leak, replaced it
-Compressor went out, replaced it
-Compressor clutch went out, replaced Compressor again
-then hose started leaking, and just replaced that 2 weeks ago lol
So far so good now (knock on wood)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wanted to post a follow up on this since there's a change in condition.

My AC stopped blowing cold and resumed blowing ambient temperature this week. This coincides with a sustained drop in temperature lower than the ambient temperature at install (five straight days going backward from Monday, Feb 1 and ten of the last twelve). I've pretty much been running my system at 75 degrees the entire time however I did turn it off or run the heat at max a few times during the last two weeks. Likely the seal created by the product has simply deteriorated causing the leak in my system to begin hemorrhaging again. I don't know if I want to use another sealant can now or use the cooler weather to find a qualified mechanic to fix the problem permanently. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone in the Tampa Bay area who has had the HVAC system fixed on their cars towards a trusted mechanic.

So in the end, the product kept my car's AC cold throughout the summer but the failure in my system re-introduced itself the first time I stopped using the AC for an extended period of time due to a drop in temperature. $50 got me 10 months of relief, can't say I'm really disappointed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts