Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
41 - 60 of 180 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Wheel spacers weren't in the plan, but damnit this place is getting to me.

-I've got a pair of 20mm spacers on the way.
-I've also got a strut tower bar that is a tanabe knock-off on the way.

Going to be putting the torque wrench to good use this week!

Speaking of "this place is getting to me", I figured that as long as I am going to save for Megan coils, I might as well get D2s instead. We'll see where that plan goes, but it's where my "this is going to be a new year" thinking has me tonight.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
FINALLY got to turn some wrenches on my car again today! Added hood struts and a strut tower bar. Added pic in the OP.

Noticed yesterday that the nice black allen bolts in my aluminum gas filler cap are RUSTING. Hate that. Also noticed that my CAI has almost completely worked itself out of it chassis mount. Pig.

Still have 20mm spacers to add to the rears, considering a set of 15mm ones for the fronts, and still have to put the AEM offset air filter on the CAI.

I did eliminate a couple of boxes from the project pile today. Getting behind in my "D2 Coils & 18" rims" pile of money that I need to start.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I've had a really hard time coming up with aftermarket rims that I really really like, and that would work well on my GS. Silver is hard for me, if I had a non-neutral color paint, it'd have been easier. Not ordering them yet, but these are a favorite front-runner when the time comes.

XXR 522 - Chromium Black

Should look sharp.

·
Gamer
6,900 Posts
I've had a really hard time coming up with aftermarket rims that I really really like, and that would work well on my GS. Silver is hard for me, if I had a non-neutral color paint, it'd have been easier. Not ordering them yet, but these are a favorite front-runner when the time comes.

XXR 522 - Chromium Black

Should look sharp.

those look badass

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The only negative is that they are half a pound heavier than the 17" stock rims that are on the car now. If I could get something significantly lighter for a little more, I might go that way. Otherwise...these win!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Those are the ones I want, I want the 18x9.5 +25 in flat black, I'm waiting for a big sale to come up, and also sell mine

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Slightly more tame here. 18 x 8.5, +48.

With my spacers off, +48 will pull the outside edge of the tire IN by 9mm (as compared to the stock wheel with a 20mm spacer). I might need a 5mm or 10mm spacer but I'll put the wheel on and look at it and run it, first. I might need that 9mm with coils on.

Just my opinion (and of course it's my car), but the large number of silver cars with straight black wheels here let me know that wasn't for me. I really like that dark chrome of XXR's "Chromium Black".

The disgusting part is that these wheels are going to delay my coils purchase. =-C But, tires will be a requirement soon, and that timing might just work out best. Might as well do wheels at the same time.

I may have just pushed coils to next year. Still have to do the timing belt, water pump, and while I'm IN there, there's an under-drive pulley to put on too. I only want to "go in" there ONCE.

·
Real men have a STICK!
3,220 Posts
Why not run a +35 offset? That will still stick them inside the wheel well, but then you won't have to worry about playing with spacers. I just worry that a 48 is gonna be really awkward looking. I guess if you're ok running spacers, then it's all good. :)

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Why not run a +35 offset? That will still stick them inside the wheel well, but then you won't have to worry about playing with spacers. I just worry that a 48 is gonna be really awkward looking. I guess if you're ok running spacers, then it's all good. :)
I think I have a good understanding of this, but if not, I'm totally open to correction. Here's my reasoning:

Greater offset pushes the wheel into the wheel well, lesser offset pushes the wheel out of the wheel well. When I wanted flush, I added a 20mm spacer to subtract 20mm from my effective offset (+46mm stock).

As sexy as it is, the XXR 522 only comes in two offsets, +48 and +42. The 42s are an additional $50/wheel, but that's not even important. I have 20mm spacers on stock wheels right now, and I really like the flush with fender look it gives me. I'd tolerate the wheel going back into the car a LITTLE bit, but not out from it anymore, and I don't want to go back to it being 20mm from flush, either.

With the outside edge of the wheel/tire as my reference point, my effective offset with stock rims and the 20mm spacer is 26mm, right? So when I plug that into the wheel offset calculator at 1010tires.com, I put 7.5" +26mm as the existing wheel, and here what it says about the outer edge of the three different offsets mentioned here (with no spacers):

+48mm (my current selection) - RETRACT by 9mm
+42mm (the other option with the XXR 522) - RETRACT by 3mm
+35mm (your suggestion) - EXTEND an extra 4mm

If my math is right, I am not interested in extending the new wheels further out, I'd like to keep the outer edge right where it is, acknowledging that I might want to come back inside for some fender room when I go lower with coils.

It seems that with an 8.5 wheel, somewhere between 47 and 57 would be perfect.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Took the rear wheels off today and retorqued my spacers to 75ft-lbs again. No rotation on the nuts, all click on the torque wrench. Nice. Cleaned the wheels up a bit and put them back on, torqued to 75 ft-lbs as well. BTW, my 6-year old girl knows the star pattern to use on a 5 lug wheel. Just sayin'. :ndance:

Tried the DRL delete ala OrangeDemon's reversible "push the clip in" method. I'm not keen on mutilating the $1700 computer that tells my injectors when to fire. :D Didn't get very far. Had to use my reading glasses to even try. then I tried wrapping the pin in masking tape and that didn't do it either. :facepalm: Next up, I'm going to try nail polish on that pin.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Bought BGreer's Energy Suspension Front Control Arm Bushings tonight. Once they arrive, I'll be putting them on.

Think I'll do a little something to the car tomorrow.
  • I'd like to plan out how I am going to do the Control Arm Bushings, since I only know it's going to be a good idea for the car, but I've not looked once at how to install them. :whistle:
  • I've been considering a gunmetal gray dip on the wheels, so I may spray one and see what it looks like on the car. If I really like it I'll do the other three and go buy some real paint in the meantime.
  • Definitely (finally) putting on the offset air filter on the CAI. I've also been researching bent pipe adapters (22.5, 45, and 90 degrees) that I might put on the end of that pipe and simply get the filter away from the fog light housing. If that worked, I could use any filter, not just the offset one (if that winds up working for me).
  • Remove, Measure, and Re-install a rear-sway bar end link.

I've also been looking at these:
9.8169 Pivot Style Universal Endlinks

They are the smallest in a series, when I am into the car, I'll measure the end links that are on it, maybe even remove one and get some really good pics, so I'll know if this will work as a replacement or not. And if it works, which size do I need?

Sent Energy Suspension an email asking these questions:
  1. Are these OEM Replacements or upgrades from OEM?
  2. Do they come in pairs? $75/pair is acceptable. $75 each is not.
  3. Do they have a compatibility guide that tells me I need a specific set for the 4G Eclipse?

·
All go and no show
1,638 Posts
If those are the part im thinking of, you should only need an allen key.

Edit: and a socket.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Talked to Energy Suspension yesterday. They weren't much help. Mostly because they don't have a recommended/tagged sku for rear sway bar end links for our cars. The one sku I got out of him was for the bushings. Already got those, thanks! I'm not all that inclined to pay $75 for a set of links just to mutilate them (although I have a feeling that could work) just so they'd fit. I'm either sticking with the plan to use Moog links or I'll just stick with the stock ones.

41 - 60 of 180 Posts