Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ricer
2009 BMW 3-Series 335i Coupe
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just found this forum and couldn't be happier.

About a month ago I bought a manual 2009 Eclipse GS from a dealership (literally the only eclipse I've seen for sale in MI) and it only has ~82,xxx miles on it. The first thing I did to it was get the rims dipped black and installed limo tint to the windows. The car came black w/ those eyelash stickers on the headlights. Shortly after that, I got a resonator & muffler delete on the exhaust w/ a Magnaflow tip. The tip didn't originally fit so the shop welded a cherrybomb to it. Long story short, this car looks and sounds FAST, but it really isn't lol. :blah:

I was wondering if there are literally any performance mods I could install to get a little bit more power. I was looking on CarID for anything I could find and found a "Tuner" by Jet V Force Plus that looked promising, but after a little research found that it adds absolutely no power or torque to most peoples cars and basically acted as a monitor. I was also researching CAI's for the eclipse and one guy said that after installing it broke his transaxle because it was too much power to the wheels but I'm not sure if it was a joke or not because it said verified purchase on his amazon review and he gave it 1 star lol.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was also researching CAI's for the eclipse and one guy said that after installing it broke his transaxle because it was too much power to the wheels
This is definitely fake news! :biggrin:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Depends how far you want to go and how deep the pockets are.

Cold air intake, exhaust, header, underdrive pulley, and a proper tune will do about 180whp on a GS. The guy on Amazon was bull shitting. It only adds a few horsepower
Hey Sabertooth^2 how about the GT?? Power goal is 350whp or at least come close to it. I would be happy if I could break 350whp N/A

·
Registered
283 Posts
Adding a GT throttle body is another way to add a few horsepower too, in addition to the list Sabertooth posted.

·
Ricer
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends how far you want to go and how deep the pockets are.

Cold air intake, exhaust, header, underdrive pulley, and a proper tune will do about 180whp on a GS. The guy on Amazon was bull shitting. It only adds a few horsepower
I kind of assumed that the guy on amazon was full of it, but who knows lol. Maybe it did happen and it was just a coincidence. Ill end up getting a K&N intake soon & I already have an exhaust on it. I need to research what a header and underdrive pulley is. Are there actually tuners for eclipses? Couldn't find any.

·
Ricer
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome and enjoy! Double check if timing belt has been changed or is documented. Browse forum tons of good info.
Thanks for the info! My eyes are glued to this post lol. I couldn't submit my reply because your quote had a link in it. I need 5 posts lol

·
Registered
528 Posts
As with most 4 banger, quickest and cheapest way to go faster is to lose weight. I've removed around 10-20lbs of useless stuff under the hood.

·
Registered
283 Posts
As with most 4 banger, quickest and cheapest way to go faster is to lose weight. I've removed around 10-20lbs of useless stuff under the hood.
You would need to lose a lot more than 20 pounds to have any significant change in performance... be interested to hear what you yanked out? Carbon fiber hood shaved a bunch of weight off my son’s ‘06 GS.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Well I took everything out of the trunk besides plastic, pulled entire stock air intake system replaced with cai, battery is in the trunk. A/T cooler removed, Window Washer reservoir hoses and wiring was removed, latch assembly removed. Frame mounts no longer needed were removed. Extra bracing under headlights removed. Fog lights and wiring removed. than the trade in weight from a stock exhaust to ss long tubes. Granted i've added some weight back with a frame mount cooler for the P/S and a larger cooler for the Trans. But I know the trashcan in my garage weighs a good amount. I mean I think the Stayer pulley dropped like 3 pounds. Wife won't let me yank the AC. Also anyone with a few miles on their car could probably clean out behind the front wheel wells and drop a few pounds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts