Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard from Alex or Hackish lately? Been waiting ~3 months for my tune. Cant seem to raise alex on fb messenger. I know these guys stay busy but I need the tune by august before I start school as I will be using the car to commute. Sent hackish an email on fastworks.support recently as well but havent gotten a response there either.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,295 Posts
Hackish doesn't do the tuning for new customers, he stopped that when Alex joined him.

Alex is on a massive backlog, slowed by all the turbo builds lately that require custom definition files. He's not taking any new orders right now, as there's too high a backlog. So while I can't say where you are on the list, at least hopefully there's some comfort in knowing that he's working his way through as quick as he can without taking on more work as well.

Unfortunately, a 3-6 month wait has been standard practice depending on time of year ordered for the last 5 years now. Once he gets to you, it'll be quick to finish.

In 2018 i got a glimpse of how many Fastworks tunes have been done. It's thousands. For every one person you see posting about getting a tune, probably 30 others didn't say anything.

Anyways, what's done to your car that makes it undrivable, or unsafe to drive, without a tune?

·
2,802 Posts
Hackish doesn't do the tuning for new customers, he stopped that when Alex joined him.

Alex is on a massive backlog, slowed by all the turbo builds lately that require custom definition files. He's not taking any new orders right now, as there's too high a backlog. So while I can't say where you are on the list, at least hopefully there's some comfort in knowing that he's working his way through as quick as he can without taking on more work as well.

Unfortunately, a 3-6 month wait has been standard practice depending on time of year ordered for the last 5 years now. Once he gets to you, it'll be quick to finish.

In 2018 i got a glimpse of how many Fastworks tunes have been done. It's thousands. For every one person you see posting about getting a tune, probably 30 others didn't say anything.

Anyways, what's done to your car that makes it undrivable, or unsafe to drive, without a tune?
While on the topic of tunes here, I recently reflashed my car with the 91 octane tune Hackish provided me with, instead of the 87 octane tune

Comparing the two maps in Fastworks reveals that they are identical aside from a few degrees of ignition timing in a few areas, mainly only 1-2 degrees, but as much as 4-5 degrees at the top of the high octane MIVEC map

Also, I just changed out my muffler as the original one rusted right off the pipe and welds at the flange broke, that shouldn’t need tuning adjustments really?

Also, I fixed my vacuum leak! Replaced PCV valve and took off the intake manifold resonator block off plate and sealed it up, LTFT’s came way down

·
Basically Stock
6,295 Posts
New muffler doesn't need a tune, but a higher flowing exhaust will allow for more timing

87 vs 91 is also a bigger change when running fully catless.

Totally ignore the low octane maps on the 91 tune when comparing to 87, as that's for when you experience knock.

Fixing a vacuum leak is huge. That'll affect tuning if you were tuned with a leak, lol.

·
2,802 Posts
New muffler doesn't need a tune, but a higher flowing exhaust will allow for more timing

87 vs 91 is also a bigger change when running fully catless.

Totally ignore the low octane maps on the 91 tune when comparing to 87, as that's for when you experience knock.

Fixing a vacuum leak is huge. That'll affect tuning if you were tuned with a leak, lol.
I wasn’t tuned with the leak, I just had high LTFT’s because of it

and I still have the main cat and stock resonator

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car's driveable but sluggish...;) I can make do for awhile I suppose. Last I heard from Alex he said he had Michael re-do my definition? And it was done and he would have it to me the following weekend.That was back in mid May. I paid him and got the ball rolling on this in mid March. Just a basic GS w/ all boltons. Was wanting to have this build complete before I start training as an aircraft mechanic in Aug.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also was wondering do I download my definition off the server in Fastworks, or does he e-mail it to me and I import it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Also was wondering do I download my definition off the server in Fastworks, or does he e-mail it to me and I import it?
I can’t remember when Alex did mine for me. Maybe Feb? Anyway, from when I uploaded my tune and got the tunes back from Alex it was about a month. I had some issues with my account that had to be sorted which took some extra time.

For me, he sent 2 performance tunes, one with crackle 🤘. A copy of my tune and a recovery one in case something happens with a tune.

Once you get those, it’s a matter of hooking up the computah, File/import (or maybe it’s download?) select the desired tune/ECU/write calibration. Fastworks software will tell you it’s all done. I think you have to turn your key off and on a couple times, but the software walks you through it.

Its a slow process for these guys. But do recommend, would do again.

·
2,802 Posts
I can’t remember when Alex did mine for me. Maybe Feb? Anyway, from when I uploaded my tune and got the tunes back from Alex it was about a month. I had some issues with my account that had to be sorted which took some extra time.

For me, he sent 2 performance tunes, one with crackle 🤘. A copy of my tune and a recovery one in case something happens with a tune.

Once you get those, it’s a matter of hooking up the computah, File/import (or maybe it’s download?) select the desired tune/ECU/write calibration. Fastworks software will tell you it’s all done. I think you have to turn your key off and on a couple times, but the software walks you through it.

Its a slow process for these guys. But do recommend, would do again.
Was the custom tune for 91 octane?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Was the custom tune for 91 octane?
Now that you mention it, I didn’t ask and he didn’t say. That was kinda dumb.

I hate assuming things, but, Mitsuboshi does recommend “premium” fuel for the 6g. So I’m guessing it must be tuned for 91 octane. Particularly, the copy of the original tune the car had, right?

·
2,802 Posts
Now that you mention it, I didn’t ask and he didn’t say. That was kinda dumb.

I hate assuming things, but, Mitsuboshi does recommend “premium” fuel for the 6g. So I’m guessing it must be tuned for 91 octane. Particularly, the copy of the original tune the car had, right?
Oh yeah if you have a GT the stock tune alone is 91+
Idk what they’re shooting for on the Fastworks tune

I think what they do, and theoretically if they lean out the fuel tables because the stock tune is so rich, that allows them to actually remove some timing as well, then they add timing back in until it knocks for whatever octane they’re shooting for, then pull a degree out of the high load areas or richen up fuel slightly there for safety

you can live data log your ECU with advanced scan tools that are capable of Mitsubishi MUT3 specific live data (like Autel DiagLink/MD808) or Fastworks itself and look for the “Learned Knock Retard” or “Octane” value which will be a % of 0-100%; if it’s sitting at 100% after some pulls then that means the ECU is completely happy with the fuel you’re using for your tune

you can also look at the “knock sum” or “knock count” value which will show your either the degrees of timing or the actual counts of knock being pulled out in real time when the knock sensor detects a knock event; about every 3 counts of knock is 1 degree pulled of timing, so 1 count is ~0.3-0.4 (0.35?) degrees pulled

I believe the learned knock retard value doesn’t start dropping from 100% to start extrapolating between the high and low octane tables until the knock count is about 6 (2 degrees being pulled), or was it anything above 3 counts? I forget rn

but our knock system works the same as the Evo

it’s acceptable to have 1-2 counts of knock at times when your learned knock retard is at the full 100% otherwise, even 3 counts is acceptable, which would be 0.3, 0.6, and 1 degree pulled respectively, 1 count could even be false knock from road noise, etc.; anything over that is something to be concerned about, and any learned octane retard % lower than 100% is something to take a look at, especially if it’s below 95%; which would indicate something physically wrong with the engine or something rattling, needing a change to the tune to pull some timing or richen up fuel, or poor or too low of octane fuel

·
Basically Stock
6,295 Posts
The car's driveable but sluggish...;) I can make do for awhile I suppose. Last I heard from Alex he said he had Michael re-do my definition? And it was done and he would have it to me the following weekend.That was back in mid May. I paid him and got the ball rolling on this in mid March. Just a basic GS w/ all boltons. Was wanting to have this build complete before I start training as an aircraft mechanic in Aug.
Bolt ons alone shouldn't make it sluggish. That's concerning. It should run well, but with a CEL and fairly rich, with conservative timing. It shouldn't be knocking, shouldn't pull timing, shouldn't be sluggish. You may have another issue on hand to solve

·
2,802 Posts
Bolt ons alone shouldn't make it sluggish. That's concerning. It should run well, but with a CEL and fairly rich, with conservative timing. It shouldn't be knocking, shouldn't pull timing, shouldn't be sluggish. You may have another issue on hand to solve
I agree, something is wrong

Bolt ons will still help a stock car with a stock tune, will just throw cat codes and maybe lean codes for CAI if the LTFT’s were already off
It definitely won’t make power running so rich tho

1 - 13 of 13 Posts