Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

Awd Swap

9K views 38 replies 5 participants last post by  Sabertooth^2 
#1 ·
I am about to be coming into quite a bit of money. Now I could spend this on a custom turbo but there is a more pressing issue with this car. The front wheel drive feels like shit and im tired of pretending it doesn't haha. Im looking to do a full swap but there is little to no information on this. I found one YouTube video from a guy who can't hold a camera right and it was more about showcasing the swap instead of explaining. Any tips or places to look around for info? Thanks guys.

#2 ·
Not my list*. It's 6G75 biased. So ignore bellhousing adapter stuff

AWD swap parts required. Quick list. May be missing a few things.

Evo Transmission 5 speed. Evo 8 preferred. But Evo 7-9 ok. 6 speed is weaker.

Evo manual transmission wiring harness. Reverse sensor plugs right into the eclipse plug. But the speed sensor plug is different. And will need spliced into the eclipse harness. Evo 8 only. Others may be different plugs. So a harness to match the transmission you get. Speedometer works well and is accurate with the evo 8 transmission speed sensor.

Transfer case. Evo 7-9. Non ACD. ACD not ideal. But will work.

The 3 shafts to connect the transmission transfer case and front axles. This may come with the transmission or transfer case. But if not will be needed. The one between the transmission and transfer case is usually still in the transmission. But the two for the front axles is normally not as they need to be removed to disconnects the parts.

Rear differential Evo 8 is best but requires more fabrication. Custom mounting brackets to mount It in the endeavor rear subframe. Endeavor rear diff is not as good but easier to install with the factory endeavor mounting brackets. Less fabrication. Evo has a factory LSD. Endeavor does not.

Centre drive shaft. Evo 7-9. Centre drive shaft brackets will need welded in the tunnel. This is slightly too long. The evo has a longer wheel base. But it can be used if mounted correctly. But shortening slightly is ideal. Evo is 1.9" longer wheel base.

All 4 Evo cv axles. Or Evo front and Endeavor rears if using Endeavor rear differential.

Educator ring on evo rear axles will need relocated over to allow abs to still function.

Your original front axles. Evo front inner and Oem front outer axles pieces needed for custom axles.

All cv axles will need to be made custom length with the oem outer pieces.

Stock eclipse speed sensors work ok.

Evo fuel tank. Or modified stock tank. Needs clearance for drive shaft and differential.

Endeavor rear subframe.

Endeavor rear knuckles. Will need custom work done to make the brakes fit. Or use Endeavor rear brakes. Custom ebrakes.

Modified rear toe suspension arm. This car being much lower the toe arm becomes too long. Adjustable modification is best to achieve ideal alignment.

Custom adapter plates to mount evo transmission to the V6. This is the really hard part. ***

But it will bolt to the 4cylinder in the 4G. Not sure of the clutch requirements in the 4 cylinder. But an evo clutch may be your best bet.

With a properly built adapter plate and a custom push conversion throw out bearing plate. With a stock throw out bearing from the V6. An standard V6 clutch and flywheel can be used. But a custom clutch with clutch masters evo push conversion throw out bearing is ideal.

Custom engine mounts. Passenger side on the engine can be reused. But the rest need to be custom.

Custom exhaust to clear drive shaft. Custom mid pipe to clear around transfer case. And possibly custom headers also. I modified my obx long tube headers to make them work.

Old below this line

Evo manual transmission wiring harness. Reverse sensor plugs right into the eclipse plug. But the speed sensor plug is different. And will need spliced into the eclipse harness. Evo 8 only. Others may be different plugs. So a harness to match the transmission you get. Speedometer works well and is accurate with the evo 8 transmission speed sensor.

The 3 shafts to connect the transmission transfer case and front axles. This may come with the transmission or transfer case. But if not will be needed. The one between the transmission and transfer case is usually still in the transmission. But the two for the front axles is normally not as they need to be removed to disconnects the parts.

Rear differential Evo 8 is best but requires more fabrication. Custom mounting brackets to mount It in the endeavor rear subframe. Endeavor rear diff is not as good but easier to install with the factory endeavor mounting brackets. Less fabrication. Evo has a factory LSD. Endeavor does not.

Centre drive shaft. Evo 7-9. Centre drive shaft brackets will need welded in the tunnel. This is slightly too long. The evo has a longer wheel base. But it can be used if mounted correctly. But shortening slightly is ideal. Evo is 1.9" longer wheel base.

All 4 Evo cv axles. Or Evo front and Endeavor rears if using Endeavor rear differential.

Educator ring on evo rear axles will need relocated over to allow abs to still function.

Your original front axles. Evo front inner and Oem front outer axles pieces needed for custom axles.

Evo fuel tank. Or modified stock tank. Needs clearance for drive shaft and differential.

Endeavor rear subframe.

Endeavor rear knuckles. Will need custom work done to make the brakes fit. Or use Endeavor rear brakes. Custom ebrakes.

Modified rear toe suspension arm. This car being much lower the toe arm becomes too long. Adjustable modification is best to achieve ideal alignment.

Custom adapter plates to mount evo transmission to the V6. This is the really hard part. ***

But it will bolt to the 4cylinder in the 4G. Not sure of the clutch requirements in the 4 cylinder. But an evo clutch may be your best bet.

With a properly built adapter plate and a custom push conversion throw out bearing plate. With a stock throw out bearing from the V6. An standard V6 clutch and flywheel can be used. But a custom clutch with clutch masters evo push conversion throw out bearing is ideal.

Custom engine mounts. Passenger side on the engine can be reused. But the rest need to be custom.

Custom exhaust to clear drive shaft. Custom mid pipe to clear around transfer case. And possibly custom headers also. I modified my obx long tube headers to make them work.

#3 ·
Not my list*. It's 6G75 biased. So ignore bellhousing adapter stuff

Endeavor rear subframe.

Old below this line

Endeavor rear subframe.

I greatly appreciate this Sabertooth!

#4 ·
Not a problem. Hopefully this year is the year I finally take the plunge on that too... It'll be down to when I sell my TT. My GS is gonna become an AWD daily lmao. I'm keeping the race engine in it and the turbo. I miss daily driving it too much. So I'm gonna say goodbye fuel economy, hello race daily.

#11 ·
Things that change to go manual, as per a friend who has done it:
ABS block
ABS module
engine harness
body harness
transmission
axles
brake master cylinder
pedals
shifter assembly
shifter cables
clutch line added
clutch master
clutch slave
ECU

And I'm sure I'm missing some. The reason for selling the car and buying a manual one is because the cost of all those parts is more than you can typically buy a blown motor 4G for.

#12 ·
Honestly, I would much prefer doing an auto to auto swap, but I don't really know of any options going that route. I'm just not sure what to do to get that extra power.. even swapping in the regular manual trans wouldn't quite get me to the power level I want. You're going awd.. what were you going to do? I was wondering about swapping the auto out of the gt into my gs and doing the endeavor awd swap based off of that, but I'm not sure if that would work.

#16 ·
I was always told the manual trans could hold around 400.. If it can do 600 I might have to see about just doing the regular swap. Like I said, I'm not really concerned with the awd, mostly just want to use my turbo to it's potential. I need to find myself a donor car then I suppose. Or I could buy a manual one and swap my mods over, but that will be a whole lot of work lol

#17 ·
The manual 5 speed in a lancer rallairt craps out around there, but they swap in 4G GS difs and it works until around 600.

It might be less work to swap your mods over than doing the swap. Eg, I'd rather put my built motor, turbo setup, interior, suspension, mounts, fuel system, exhaust, and body mods into a second than do the auto to manual swap.

#18 ·
ah, so I guess I have to make a hard decision then. I suppose I have 3 options here:
1) I could just leave it how it is, and run it at around 300hp (Easiest, Least Preferred)
2) I could suck it up, and swap all my stuff over to a manual car (Middle of the line option, but I have a connection with my current car idk if I would want a different one)
or 3) Buy a donor car to swap the manual into mine (Most Preferred, but by far the hardest of the three)

I have a lot of thinking to do about this. Thanks for helping more work this out. I also have to figure out what will be best financially. Just like everyone else.. at the end of the day, I'm not made of money.

#20 ·
Buy a wrecked manual for $400, do the swap over a few months so it's not rushed.

I understand the connection.

but logically, bad idea
Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to talk to some of my mechanic friends and see if they would be up for the task of doing that. It'll suck, but I think I would rather do that. Plus, finding a manual in the same condition as mine for a decent price would be hard. Also, I can't imagine the backlash I would get from my fiance if I came home with yet another car. I think that's the bigger reason lmao.

#26 ·
Question(s): I want to fully swap the entire Endeavor engine, transmission, drivetrain & suspension into my Eclipse. Will the Endeavor ECU have any issues connecting to the Eclipse's instrument cluster? Any other issues I might come across?

I should be able to keep:
- Existing Eclipse radiator, A/C condenser, transmission cooler.

Not sure about master brake cylinder or brake lines.

I know I will need to swap in the Endeavor gas tank, although since I am lifted 3" over stock, maybe not?

Will the Eclipse's steering column reach the Endeavor's power steering assembly or will I need an extension fabbed? Maybe I can pull the Endeavor's steering column.

I want minimal electronics. I want to keep ABS & traction control for the AWD, but should probably have the SRS disabled and airbags removed, I don't want them going off during a trail ride. Immobilizer can be deleted as well, I can wire in a secret switch to discourage theft.

I'm contacting some local performance shops to see if any are interested in the project. I have not bought the Endeavor yet, but there are always half a dozen for sale in my area around $4-8k. Obviously I want one that's been well maintained.

I'd do the swap myself in the front yard but my HOA won't allow it. Also looking at renting a storage unit for a few months and do the swap there to save money. If I can get the majority of it bolted up, then it will be much easier to have various local shops do the finishing touches such as center driveshaft shortening, steering column extension, etc.

#28 ·
For cheap & easy AWD. I can get a running Endeavor for $2-4K. I'd spend 4x that trying to go the 2nd-gen GSX route, IF I could even find the parts. And then there's a TON of custom fab work that will double the cost of parts. Not for me, thanks! I want to spend less time under the car and more time on the trails.

#34 ·
I just sorta glanced past the last bit, but...

The endeavor auto 4 speed for the AWD can and has been run by the GT 5 speed computer before. ZKdawg on the forum did it. He's not on here anymore, but I can bug him to see if he would give you tips.

I'm not in the same boat as Kyle what so ever here, as from speaking to him, it was a very straightforward install, and it cost him under $2000 when it was all done.

And the video of you offroading made me laugh, as I scraped in a parking lot earlier today. If I could tow with it, I'd do a lifted 4G in a heartbeat

#35 ·
Thanks! Any info would be greatly appreciated. I was inspired by ZKdawg's build. His ECU tuner knows something that the others don't. Share the wealth (of information)!

I have towed approximately 2500 lbs with a 1 ¼" hitch (rated to 2000 lbs), no damage as far as I can see. But I did reinforce my hitch mount. The hitch bolts to the spare tire well and the metal is very thin there, much thinner than other parts of the unibody. I bolted an additional brace from the hitch to the rear subframe, so that load is transferred if the sheet metal stretches or deforms more than 1mm. The brace and bolts used are approx 1/4 the strength of each subframe bolt, so it will shear long before the subframe is damaged. Worst case scenario is I need a minor alignment after grossly exceeding the weight. Funny thing is the Endeavor is rated for 3500 lbs, and the subframes & drivetrain are not any stronger than the Eclipse's. I think the unibody is thicker/stronger in the trunk area, which can easily be done to the Eclipse.

I would be interested in starting over with a new Eclipse GS and going the Evo route. And actually I have been looking into aquiring a Montero which is body on frame, so I could remove the Montero's cab, fab some custom mount points and bolt an Eclipse shell on top. Then I will have diff lockers and 4 low!!! I need an actual automotive garage though, so I am looking into local shops for sale. I have some crazy dreams, huh?

#37 ·
His ECU tuner was Michael, Fastworks owner. He wrote some custom definition files to run the 4 speed on a 5 speed setup, just never shifting to 5th sorta idea. It was never 100% proper though, and I don't think the speedometer was right.

As for towing, when I tow, it's usually 5500-6500lbs. Occasionally it's just my utility trailer, but usually I'm towing a car of some sorts on a 2500lb dual axle trailer. I've got a truck for that.

The spare tire well is thin, but through my testing with a pickaxe last weekend, I found that the rear of the trunk is even thinner! The weight of the axe alone falling would push through there.

#38 ·
What the heck are you doing to that poor Eclipse?! lol

Actually on my next Eclipse I am going to cut that whole spare tire area out and weld in a replacement. Thinking of a storage container with a drawer that slides out from the bumper. Tools, camping equipment, ice chest full of beer, whatever. Lots of wasted spare in the rear, has much potential.

Modding the ECU so that the MIVEC engine properly controls the AWD W4A5A is an exciting idea but risky. Wouldn't want the ECU to go haywire on the highway if some unforseen combination of ECU events occur. That's why I'll probably just keep the Endeavor's pushrod SOHC 6G75, it's a simple and reliable V6. With bolt ons it makes plenty of power for my needs, even fully loaded with gear, my Eclipse is 500 pounds lighter than an empty Endeavor. And essentially all I'd have to do is connect the Endeavor engine's electrical harness to the Eclipse's dash & ignition. I wouldn't have to worry about custom subframe mounts, I'd take it all from the Endeavor. Only thing I'll need is some center driveshaft brackets welded and the the drive shaft itself shortened about 3". Easy! Unless I'm missing a complication. The only one I thought of so far is that the Endeavor's plastic intake manifold is taller than the Eclipse's and might not clear the hood. I could cut/weld in a hood scoop (awesome if done right!) or perhaps swap the Eclipse's intake manifold in. Throttle body, PCV, EGR should all be the same, right?

#39 ·
That poor eclipse is in a trailer on its way to be shredded. The frame rails are bent, and it has nothing left on it. So, before shredding, it was a good time to test what's structural and what's not.

As for wasted rear space, agreed. That's where an engine belongs. People have cut the rear out before to do flat floors. Just be sure to brace the area once the material is gone. The bend of the spare tire well adds a lot of rigidity apparently, and I've been told it's noticable losing it. Bad enough he had to weld in braces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.