Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to be coming into quite a bit of money. Now I could spend this on a custom turbo but there is a more pressing issue with this car. The front wheel drive feels like shit and im tired of pretending it doesn't haha. Im looking to do a full swap but there is little to no information on this. I found one YouTube video from a guy who can't hold a camera right and it was more about showcasing the swap instead of explaining. Any tips or places to look around for info? Thanks guys.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,297 Posts
Not my list*. It's 6G75 biased. So ignore bellhousing adapter stuff

AWD swap parts required. Quick list. May be missing a few things.

Evo Transmission 5 speed. Evo 8 preferred. But Evo 7-9 ok. 6 speed is weaker.

Evo manual transmission wiring harness. Reverse sensor plugs right into the eclipse plug. But the speed sensor plug is different. And will need spliced into the eclipse harness. Evo 8 only. Others may be different plugs. So a harness to match the transmission you get. Speedometer works well and is accurate with the evo 8 transmission speed sensor.

Transfer case. Evo 7-9. Non ACD. ACD not ideal. But will work.

The 3 shafts to connect the transmission transfer case and front axles. This may come with the transmission or transfer case. But if not will be needed. The one between the transmission and transfer case is usually still in the transmission. But the two for the front axles is normally not as they need to be removed to disconnects the parts.

Rear differential Evo 8 is best but requires more fabrication. Custom mounting brackets to mount It in the endeavor rear subframe. Endeavor rear diff is not as good but easier to install with the factory endeavor mounting brackets. Less fabrication. Evo has a factory LSD. Endeavor does not.

Centre drive shaft. Evo 7-9. Centre drive shaft brackets will need welded in the tunnel. This is slightly too long. The evo has a longer wheel base. But it can be used if mounted correctly. But shortening slightly is ideal. Evo is 1.9" longer wheel base.

All 4 Evo cv axles. Or Evo front and Endeavor rears if using Endeavor rear differential.

Educator ring on evo rear axles will need relocated over to allow abs to still function.

Your original front axles. Evo front inner and Oem front outer axles pieces needed for custom axles.

All cv axles will need to be made custom length with the oem outer pieces.

Stock eclipse speed sensors work ok.

Evo fuel tank. Or modified stock tank. Needs clearance for drive shaft and differential.

Endeavor rear subframe.

Endeavor rear knuckles. Will need custom work done to make the brakes fit. Or use Endeavor rear brakes. Custom ebrakes.

Modified rear toe suspension arm. This car being much lower the toe arm becomes too long. Adjustable modification is best to achieve ideal alignment.

Custom adapter plates to mount evo transmission to the V6. This is the really hard part. ***

But it will bolt to the 4cylinder in the 4G. Not sure of the clutch requirements in the 4 cylinder. But an evo clutch may be your best bet.

With a properly built adapter plate and a custom push conversion throw out bearing plate. With a stock throw out bearing from the V6. An standard V6 clutch and flywheel can be used. But a custom clutch with clutch masters evo push conversion throw out bearing is ideal.

Custom engine mounts. Passenger side on the engine can be reused. But the rest need to be custom.

Custom exhaust to clear drive shaft. Custom mid pipe to clear around transfer case. And possibly custom headers also. I modified my obx long tube headers to make them work.

Old below this line

Evo manual transmission wiring harness. Reverse sensor plugs right into the eclipse plug. But the speed sensor plug is different. And will need spliced into the eclipse harness. Evo 8 only. Others may be different plugs. So a harness to match the transmission you get. Speedometer works well and is accurate with the evo 8 transmission speed sensor.

The 3 shafts to connect the transmission transfer case and front axles. This may come with the transmission or transfer case. But if not will be needed. The one between the transmission and transfer case is usually still in the transmission. But the two for the front axles is normally not as they need to be removed to disconnects the parts.

Rear differential Evo 8 is best but requires more fabrication. Custom mounting brackets to mount It in the endeavor rear subframe. Endeavor rear diff is not as good but easier to install with the factory endeavor mounting brackets. Less fabrication. Evo has a factory LSD. Endeavor does not.

Centre drive shaft. Evo 7-9. Centre drive shaft brackets will need welded in the tunnel. This is slightly too long. The evo has a longer wheel base. But it can be used if mounted correctly. But shortening slightly is ideal. Evo is 1.9" longer wheel base.

All 4 Evo cv axles. Or Evo front and Endeavor rears if using Endeavor rear differential.

Educator ring on evo rear axles will need relocated over to allow abs to still function.

Your original front axles. Evo front inner and Oem front outer axles pieces needed for custom axles.

Evo fuel tank. Or modified stock tank. Needs clearance for drive shaft and differential.

Endeavor rear subframe.

Endeavor rear knuckles. Will need custom work done to make the brakes fit. Or use Endeavor rear brakes. Custom ebrakes.

Modified rear toe suspension arm. This car being much lower the toe arm becomes too long. Adjustable modification is best to achieve ideal alignment.

Custom adapter plates to mount evo transmission to the V6. This is the really hard part. ***

But it will bolt to the 4cylinder in the 4G. Not sure of the clutch requirements in the 4 cylinder. But an evo clutch may be your best bet.

With a properly built adapter plate and a custom push conversion throw out bearing plate. With a stock throw out bearing from the V6. An standard V6 clutch and flywheel can be used. But a custom clutch with clutch masters evo push conversion throw out bearing is ideal.

Custom engine mounts. Passenger side on the engine can be reused. But the rest need to be custom.

Custom exhaust to clear drive shaft. Custom mid pipe to clear around transfer case. And possibly custom headers also. I modified my obx long tube headers to make them work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not my list*. It's 6G75 biased. So ignore bellhousing adapter stuff

Endeavor rear subframe.

Old below this line

Endeavor rear subframe.

I greatly appreciate this Sabertooth!

·
Basically Stock
6,297 Posts
Not a problem. Hopefully this year is the year I finally take the plunge on that too... It'll be down to when I sell my TT. My GS is gonna become an AWD daily lmao. I'm keeping the race engine in it and the turbo. I miss daily driving it too much. So I'm gonna say goodbye fuel economy, hello race daily.

·
TheSlow4g
2007 GS SE Turbo (In Progress)
153 Posts
Not a problem. Hopefully this year is the year I finally take the plunge on that too... It'll be down to when I sell my TT. My GS is gonna become an AWD daily lmao. I'm keeping the race engine in it and the turbo. I miss daily driving it too much. So I'm gonna say goodbye fuel economy, hello race daily.
How hard to you think it would be to convert my 4 speed auto to the evo 8 5 speed manual?

·
2,803 Posts
How hard to you think it would be to convert my 4 speed auto to the evo 8 5 speed manual?
Hard since it’s auto

if it’s manual is super easy, wiring is all the same, computers are setup for MT, clutch is there, just gotta do the actual trans swap and mechanically fit the AWD (which is still no easy task)

·
2,803 Posts
Hard compared to what though? Like hard for your average car guy or hard for anyone who isn't a complete fab shop? Because the trans is my current issue holding me back rn and I want to swap it
Hard as in for anybody who isn’t ready to take a complete manual trans donor car and transplant every single wiring harness and computer module into your chassis, still installing a clutch through the firewall, and hoping you didn’t mess up

it’s literally so hard you’re better off selling your car and buying another 4G with a manual trans

this is one of the project cars ideas that is easier said than done, and will never be completed due to being so complicated in regards to the wiring and computer differences on this car

but like I said, on old Subarus it’s easy, on my 02 WRX for example, the ECU’s are the same and all the wiring up to the trans harness itself, it is possible to swap an auto trans Subaru to a manual pretty easily; but not our Eclipse

·
TheSlow4g
153 Posts
Hard as in for anybody who isn’t ready to take a complete manual trans donor car and transplant every single wiring harness and computer module into your chassis, still installing a clutch through the firewall, and hoping you didn’t mess up

it’s literally so hard you’re better off selling your car and buying another 4G with a manual trans

this is one of the project cars ideas that is easier said than done, and will never be completed due to being so complicated in regards to the wiring and computer differences on this car

but like I said, on old Subarus it’s easy, on my 02 WRX for example, the ECU’s are the same and all the wiring up to the trans harness itself, it is possible to swap an auto trans Subaru to a manual pretty easily; but not our Eclipse
well buying a new eclipse would be a huge waste of money for me at the point so it looks like it looks like I'm either going to be stuck at 300hp or I'm doing something that can't be done lmao

·
2,803 Posts
well buying a new eclipse would be a huge waste of money for me at the point so it looks like it looks like I'm either going to be stuck at 300hp or I'm doing something that can't be done lmao
U just said in your other post that you would be swapping the automatic computer out and questioned why I thought you wouldn’t be, but over here you’re saying why would you buy a whole manual donor car? Because u need a whole donor car to put the manual trans computer in (not to mention the VIN mismatch and the immobilizer issues that will arise...)

·
Basically Stock
6,297 Posts
Things that change to go manual, as per a friend who has done it:
ABS block
ABS module
engine harness
body harness
transmission
axles
brake master cylinder
pedals
shifter assembly
shifter cables
clutch line added
clutch master
clutch slave
ECU

And I'm sure I'm missing some. The reason for selling the car and buying a manual one is because the cost of all those parts is more than you can typically buy a blown motor 4G for.

·
TheSlow4g
153 Posts
Things that change to go manual, as per a friend who has done it:
ABS block
ABS module
engine harness
body harness
transmission
axles
brake master cylinder
pedals
shifter assembly
shifter cables
clutch line added
clutch master
clutch slave
ECU

And I'm sure I'm missing some. The reason for selling the car and buying a manual one is because the cost of all those parts is more than you can typically buy a blown motor 4G for.
Honestly, I would much prefer doing an auto to auto swap, but I don't really know of any options going that route. I'm just not sure what to do to get that extra power.. even swapping in the regular manual trans wouldn't quite get me to the power level I want. You're going awd.. what were you going to do? I was wondering about swapping the auto out of the gt into my gs and doing the endeavor awd swap based off of that, but I'm not sure if that would work.

·
2,803 Posts
Honestly, I would much prefer doing an auto to auto swap, but I don't really know of any options going that route. I'm just not sure what to do to get that extra power.. even swapping in the regular manual trans wouldn't quite get me to the power level I want. You're going awd.. what were you going to do? I was wondering about swapping the auto out of the gt into my gs and doing the endeavor awd swap based off of that, but I'm not sure if that would work.
Saber's car is already a manual trans GS, so going to an Evo trans he doesn't have to deal with any of the major electrical wiring and computer problems you face trying to swap from auto to manual, or clutch pedal problems; all he would have to do is make sure he hooks up the new trans' speed sensor, neutral and reverse switches; computers are none the wiser that there's an AWD transmission hooked up then

Best bet is an Endeavor auto trans swap, but even then the wiring is much more complicated than anything of a manual trans car

A GT auto won't work. The GS PCM can't even control it properly, doesn't have an input for the extra solenoid valve in the 5speed GT auto

·
TheSlow4g
153 Posts
Saber's car is already a manual trans GS, so going to an Evo trans he doesn't have to deal with any of the major electrical wiring and computer problems you face trying to swap from auto to manual, or clutch pedal problems; all he would have to do is make sure he hooks up the new trans' speed sensor, neutral and reverse switches; computers are none the wiser that there's an AWD transmission hooked up then

Best bet is an Endeavor auto trans swap, but even then the wiring is much more complicated than anything of a manual trans car

A GT auto won't work. The GS PCM can't even control it properly, doesn't have an input for the extra solenoid valve in the 5speed GT auto
The only issue with that would be the fact that it wouldn't benefit me in anyway. The only reason I am even considering the awd swap is to make more power off of my current setup. So swapping to the endeaver awd wouldn't allow me to have any more power because it is (to my knowledge at least) the same trans just set up for an awd drivetrain. It's not as much the awd I'm interested in, just a trans that can handle my goals. I'm open to any ideas here. I will literally accept anything lol. Idc if it's fwd or awd, idc if its auto or manual. I just want a dang trans that can handle the power haha. However many years ago when I started modding the car I never expected to get myself this deep into it, and now I'm regretting all of it. But I still want to at least try.

·
TheSlow4g
153 Posts
A manual GS trans can handle more than 300hp. It's around the 600hp mark the dif starts to be the weak point, which you can swap for an LSD

I track mine on 28psi happily without worrying about the trans
I was always told the manual trans could hold around 400.. If it can do 600 I might have to see about just doing the regular swap. Like I said, I'm not really concerned with the awd, mostly just want to use my turbo to it's potential. I need to find myself a donor car then I suppose. Or I could buy a manual one and swap my mods over, but that will be a whole lot of work lol

·
Basically Stock
6,297 Posts
The manual 5 speed in a lancer rallairt craps out around there, but they swap in 4G GS difs and it works until around 600.

It might be less work to swap your mods over than doing the swap. Eg, I'd rather put my built motor, turbo setup, interior, suspension, mounts, fuel system, exhaust, and body mods into a second than do the auto to manual swap.

·
TheSlow4g
153 Posts
The manual 5 speed in a lancer rallairt craps out around there, but they swap in 4G GS difs and it works until around 600.

It might be less work to swap your mods over than doing the swap. Eg, I'd rather put my built motor, turbo setup, interior, suspension, mounts, fuel system, exhaust, and body mods into a second than do the auto to manual swap.
ah, so I guess I have to make a hard decision then. I suppose I have 3 options here:
1) I could just leave it how it is, and run it at around 300hp (Easiest, Least Preferred)
2) I could suck it up, and swap all my stuff over to a manual car (Middle of the line option, but I have a connection with my current car idk if I would want a different one)
or 3) Buy a donor car to swap the manual into mine (Most Preferred, but by far the hardest of the three)

I have a lot of thinking to do about this. Thanks for helping more work this out. I also have to figure out what will be best financially. Just like everyone else.. at the end of the day, I'm not made of money.

·
TheSlow4g
153 Posts
Buy a wrecked manual for $400, do the swap over a few months so it's not rushed.

I understand the connection.

but logically, bad idea
Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to talk to some of my mechanic friends and see if they would be up for the task of doing that. It'll suck, but I think I would rather do that. Plus, finding a manual in the same condition as mine for a decent price would be hard. Also, I can't imagine the backlash I would get from my fiance if I came home with yet another car. I think that's the bigger reason lmao.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts