Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Question(s): I want to fully swap the entire Endeavor engine, transmission, drivetrain & suspension into my Eclipse. Will the Endeavor ECU have any issues connecting to the Eclipse's instrument cluster? Any other issues I might come across?

I should be able to keep:
- Existing Eclipse radiator, A/C condenser, transmission cooler.

Not sure about master brake cylinder or brake lines.

I know I will need to swap in the Endeavor gas tank, although since I am lifted 3" over stock, maybe not?

Will the Eclipse's steering column reach the Endeavor's power steering assembly or will I need an extension fabbed? Maybe I can pull the Endeavor's steering column.

I want minimal electronics. I want to keep ABS & traction control for the AWD, but should probably have the SRS disabled and airbags removed, I don't want them going off during a trail ride. Immobilizer can be deleted as well, I can wire in a secret switch to discourage theft.

I'm contacting some local performance shops to see if any are interested in the project. I have not bought the Endeavor yet, but there are always half a dozen for sale in my area around $4-8k. Obviously I want one that's been well maintained.

I'd do the swap myself in the front yard but my HOA won't allow it. Also looking at renting a storage unit for a few months and do the swap there to save money. If I can get the majority of it bolted up, then it will be much easier to have various local shops do the finishing touches such as center driveshaft shortening, steering column extension, etc.

Why would you swap all of that endeavor stuff in?
For cheap & easy AWD. I can get a running Endeavor for $2-4K. I'd spend 4x that trying to go the 2nd-gen GSX route, IF I could even find the parts. And then there's a TON of custom fab work that will double the cost of parts. Not for me, thanks! I want to spend less time under the car and more time on the trails.

For cheap & easy AWD. I can get a running Endeavor for $2-4K. I'd spend 4x that trying to go the 2nd-gen GSX route, IF I could even find the parts. And then there's a TON of custom fab work that will double the cost of parts. Not for me, thanks! I want to spend less time under the car and more time on the trails.

Do not swap Endeavor electronics and computers into your Eclipse, they’re close enough already, but the wiring and making it all work will be a nightmare, plus, why would you?

the endeavor 4g69 is identical to ours, I’d argue that they put the better engines into the Eclipses though because they expected them to be ran harder, maybe, but that’s just speculation

as far as endeavor trans, manual or auto?

Is your eclipse manual or auto? You have an Eclipse GS right? Tell us the basics first for Pete’s sake lol

and btw, the second gen Eclipse engines are reverse of our 4G6x engine, timing belt and transmission are reversed, it would be like the Evo 1-3, ours is like the Evo 4-9

Do not swap Endeavor electronics and computers into your Eclipse, they’re close enough already, but the wiring and making it all work will be a nightmare, plus, why would you?

the endeavor 4g69 is identical to ours, I’d argue that they put the better engines into the Eclipses though because they expected them to be ran harder, maybe, but that’s just speculation

as far as endeavor trans, manual or auto?

Is your eclipse manual or auto? You have an Eclipse GS right? Tell us the basics first for Pete’s sake lol

and btw, the second gen Eclipse engines are reverse of our 4G6x engine, timing belt and transmission are reversed, it would be like the Evo 1-3, ours is like the Evo 4-9

I have a '06 GT Auto. Which is why I am not doing any manual conversion/swap. Too much modding and wiring.

I contacted some of the best Eclipse tuners and they all said the same thing: the Endeavor transmission mates to the Eclipse's 6G75 physically, but it keeps going into limp mode and nobody's figured out how to fix it. Maybe one day someone can reprogram the ECU, but I don't want to wait on a maybe.

The Endeavor engine is the same 6G75 engine as the Eclipse's but without MIVEC, and output is about 225 HP. As far as I know, all Endeavor's, FWD or AWD, use the 6G75 3.8L V6. All 3 PS-platform vehicles (Eclipse, Galant, Endeavor) come with an optional 5-speed FWD transmission, the F5A51 or F5A5A (very little literature exists on these transmissions). However, only the Endeavor was offered with an AWD transmission/transfer case, the W4A5A. Normally a transmission is used in a large range of models for cost-cutting, but I can't find any other vehicle, Mitsubishi or otherwise, that uses the W4A5A. So I believe the Endeavor's ECU is unique and is why nobody has successfully paired it with another engine. And this is why I want to keep this engine/transmission combo the way it is, but in a much lighter, shorter chassis, the Eclipse's!

I have a '06 GT Auto. Which is why I am not doing any manual conversion/swap. Too much modding and wiring.

I contacted some of the best Eclipse tuners and they all said the same thing: the Endeavor transmission mates to the Eclipse's 6G75 physically, but it keeps going into limp mode and nobody's figured out how to fix it. Maybe one day someone can reprogram the ECU, but I don't want to wait on a maybe.

The Endeavor engine is the same 6G75 engine as the Eclipse's but without MIVEC, and output is about 225 HP. As far as I know, all Endeavor's, FWD or AWD, use the 6G75 3.8L V6. All 3 PS-platform vehicles (Eclipse, Galant, Endeavor) come with an optional 5-speed FWD transmission, the F5A51 or F5A5A (very little literature exists on these transmissions). However, only the Endeavor was offered with an AWD transmission/transfer case, the W4A5A. Normally a transmission is used in a large range of models for cost-cutting, but I can't find any other vehicle, Mitsubishi or otherwise, that uses the W4A5A. So I believe the Endeavor's ECU is unique and is why nobody has successfully paired it with another engine. And this is why I want to keep this engine/transmission combo the way it is, but in a much lighter, shorter chassis, the Eclipse's!
If you get the Endeavors FSM you can see how many solenoids there are in the transmission and how to control it to activate each gear, and the wiring

compare that to the Eclipse transmission

and the GS transmissions will not bolt right up your GT engine

easiest thing to do to get AWD is to have a GS manual and then drop an Evo 4-9 trans in it, very simple wiring that plugs directly in

you’ll have a hard enough time physically making the AWD system go in with the rear subframe and all that

If you get the Endeavors FSM you can see how many solenoids there are in the transmission and how to control it to activate each gear, and the wiring

compare that to the Eclipse transmission

and the GS transmissions will not bolt right up your GT engine

easiest thing to do to get AWD is to have a GS manual and then drop an Evo 4-9 trans in it, very simple wiring that plugs directly in

you’ll have a hard enough time physically making the AWD system go in with the rear subframe and all that

I'm not sure if I mistyped earlier or something, but I don't have a GS nor have plans to buy one.

I have a GT Auto and looking for the cheapest, easiest path to AWD. A $2000 Endeavor is this path.

Auto is fine, I will be focused on the terrain more than shifting.

4-speed is fine, I'm not racing 100+ MPH.

No LSD is fine, they are better suited for racing than offroading anyway, and that's what brake-activated traction control is for.

No MIVEC is fine, less parts to break.

I guess the only way to proceed is to go get the Endeavor and a cheap non-running Eclipse and start swapping the drivetrain over, and work one problem at a time.

Thank you for your input and good luck with your build!

I'm not sure if I mistyped earlier or something, but I don't have a GS nor have plans to buy one.

I have a GT Auto and looking for the cheapest, easiest path to AWD. A $2000 Endeavor is this path.

Auto is fine, I will be focused on the terrain more than shifting.

4-speed is fine, I'm not racing 100+ MPH.

No LSD is fine, they are better suited for racing than offroading anyway, and that's what brake-activated traction control is for.

No MIVEC is fine, less parts to break.

I guess the only way to proceed is to go get the Endeavor and a cheap non-running Eclipse and start swapping the drivetrain over, and work one problem at a time.

Thank you for your input and good luck with your build!
I know you have a GT auto, I'm telling you that the "cheapest and easiest path to AWD" is to sell it, get a GS manual, and throw in an Evo 4-9 trans, at least it won't be an electrical nightmare, it'll just be a physically putting it together nightmare

I just sorta glanced past the last bit, but...

The endeavor auto 4 speed for the AWD can and has been run by the GT 5 speed computer before. ZKdawg on the forum did it. He's not on here anymore, but I can bug him to see if he would give you tips.

I'm not in the same boat as Kyle what so ever here, as from speaking to him, it was a very straightforward install, and it cost him under $2000 when it was all done.

And the video of you offroading made me laugh, as I scraped in a parking lot earlier today. If I could tow with it, I'd do a lifted 4G in a heartbeat

I just sorta glanced past the last bit, but...

The endeavor auto 4 speed for the AWD can and has been run by the GT 5 speed computer before. ZKdawg on the forum did it. He's not on here anymore, but I can bug him to see if he would give you tips.

I'm not in the same boat as Kyle what so ever here, as from speaking to him, it was a very straightforward install, and it cost him under $2000 when it was all done.

And the video of you offroading made me laugh, as I scraped in a parking lot earlier today. If I could tow with it, I'd do a lifted 4G in a heartbeat
Thanks! Any info would be greatly appreciated. I was inspired by ZKdawg's build. His ECU tuner knows something that the others don't. Share the wealth (of information)!

I have towed approximately 2500 lbs with a 1 ÂĽ" hitch (rated to 2000 lbs), no damage as far as I can see. But I did reinforce my hitch mount. The hitch bolts to the spare tire well and the metal is very thin there, much thinner than other parts of the unibody. I bolted an additional brace from the hitch to the rear subframe, so that load is transferred if the sheet metal stretches or deforms more than 1mm. The brace and bolts used are approx 1/4 the strength of each subframe bolt, so it will shear long before the subframe is damaged. Worst case scenario is I need a minor alignment after grossly exceeding the weight. Funny thing is the Endeavor is rated for 3500 lbs, and the subframes & drivetrain are not any stronger than the Eclipse's. I think the unibody is thicker/stronger in the trunk area, which can easily be done to the Eclipse.

I would be interested in starting over with a new Eclipse GS and going the Evo route. And actually I have been looking into aquiring a Montero which is body on frame, so I could remove the Montero's cab, fab some custom mount points and bolt an Eclipse shell on top. Then I will have diff lockers and 4 low!!! I need an actual automotive garage though, so I am looking into local shops for sale. I have some crazy dreams, huh?

His ECU tuner was Michael, Fastworks owner. He wrote some custom definition files to run the 4 speed on a 5 speed setup, just never shifting to 5th sorta idea. It was never 100% proper though, and I don't think the speedometer was right.

As for towing, when I tow, it's usually 5500-6500lbs. Occasionally it's just my utility trailer, but usually I'm towing a car of some sorts on a 2500lb dual axle trailer. I've got a truck for that.

The spare tire well is thin, but through my testing with a pickaxe last weekend, I found that the rear of the trunk is even thinner! The weight of the axe alone falling would push through there.

What the heck are you doing to that poor Eclipse?! lol

Actually on my next Eclipse I am going to cut that whole spare tire area out and weld in a replacement. Thinking of a storage container with a drawer that slides out from the bumper. Tools, camping equipment, ice chest full of beer, whatever. Lots of wasted spare in the rear, has much potential.

Modding the ECU so that the MIVEC engine properly controls the AWD W4A5A is an exciting idea but risky. Wouldn't want the ECU to go haywire on the highway if some unforseen combination of ECU events occur. That's why I'll probably just keep the Endeavor's pushrod SOHC 6G75, it's a simple and reliable V6. With bolt ons it makes plenty of power for my needs, even fully loaded with gear, my Eclipse is 500 pounds lighter than an empty Endeavor. And essentially all I'd have to do is connect the Endeavor engine's electrical harness to the Eclipse's dash & ignition. I wouldn't have to worry about custom subframe mounts, I'd take it all from the Endeavor. Only thing I'll need is some center driveshaft brackets welded and the the drive shaft itself shortened about 3". Easy! Unless I'm missing a complication. The only one I thought of so far is that the Endeavor's plastic intake manifold is taller than the Eclipse's and might not clear the hood. I could cut/weld in a hood scoop (awesome if done right!) or perhaps swap the Eclipse's intake manifold in. Throttle body, PCV, EGR should all be the same, right?

That poor eclipse is in a trailer on its way to be shredded. The frame rails are bent, and it has nothing left on it. So, before shredding, it was a good time to test what's structural and what's not.

As for wasted rear space, agreed. That's where an engine belongs. People have cut the rear out before to do flat floors. Just be sure to brace the area once the material is gone. The bend of the spare tire well adds a lot of rigidity apparently, and I've been told it's noticable losing it. Bad enough he had to weld in braces.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.