Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decided to do away with the back seats (what purpose do they even serve anyways??) and now I just need to find some kind of black material to cover up the metal. as for the seats, I might turn them into a couch. also, do eclipses normally have those weird wrinkle things on the back there?
Wood Yellow Flooring Metal Hardwood

Brown Plant Luggage and bags Textile Office equipment

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,959 Posts
That wrinkly stuff is tar sound dampening. You'll find it on most cars. You can try chipping it off, but it leaves a residue that's hard to remove without a steel brush on a grinder. That will also remove the paint and fling it everywhere. An alternative is to use dry ice or liquid nitrogen on it, the tar goes below the glass transition point, and you can shatter it off cleanly.

In my GT, I sprayed gravel guard on the floors. It gives a textured black finish.

Purpose of the back seats in my experience was mostly to deaden sound. It's definitely louder without them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That wrinkly stuff is tar sound dampening. You'll find it on most cars. You can try chipping it off, but it leaves a residue that's hard to remove without a steel brush on a grinder. That will also remove the paint and fling it everywhere. An alternative is to use dry ice or liquid nitrogen on it, the tar goes below the glass transition point, and you can shatter it off cleanly.

In my GT, I sprayed gravel guard on the floors. It gives a textured black finish.

Purpose of the back seats in my experience was mostly to deaden sound. It's definitely louder without them.
its definitely louder, im able to hear the gas sloshing around in the tank, i was also able to hear something wrong with my brakes because of it so overall it was kinda a good idea.

·
Registered
2007 Eclipse GT
5 Posts
decided to do away with the back seats (what purpose do they even serve anyways??) and now I just need to find some kind of black material to cover up the metal. as for the seats, I might turn them into a couch. also, do eclipses normally have those weird wrinkle things on the back there? View attachment 104158
View attachment 104159
I don't use my back seats either, perhaps more room for my skis, but looks to me maybe a hassle to deal with how to make the empty space look nice and deal with extra noise. Why do you want to do this and have you solved those problems?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't use my back seats either, perhaps more room for my skis, but looks to me maybe a hassle to deal with how to make the empty space look nice and deal with extra noise. Why do you want to do this and have you solved those problems?
had to put them back in due to my mom complaining about it being unsafe, the only reason you would do this would be weight reduction but its only around 20-25 pounds so not a huge change

·
Super Moderator
403 Posts
I put two 12 inch subwoofers back there. Had a box from a previous car, and now I roll around BUMPIN’. Lots of people don’t believe that big noise is coming from a little tiny car. 😂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts