Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

No longer my daily driver, I went from a 3" drop to a 3" lift + AT tires. I took it to the Florida Gambler 500 last weekend and had a blast! But I got stuck quite easily. So, I am looking at an AWD conversion.

I KNOW the Evo drivetrain is best, with the stronger parts & LSD. But it is way out of my ballpark financially & technically. Not an option for me.

I want to start with installing the Endeavor rear subframe, differential & drive shafts. It bolt right in without mods, correct? Can I transfer my exusting brake calipers & rotors (fairly new)?

Next, what about the front subframe. Will it provide a higher lift like the rear does? Can it be installed without serious modifications? Or should I just do some 1" hockey puck spacers? I'm worried that the steering shaft may slip out going this route. I want the car to be safe & not worry about losing steering suddenly.

Next is the AWD transmission & transfer case. I don't mind going from a 5 speed auto to 4 speed if I gain AWD. And I know the Endeavor parts mount up physically, but I read that programming it is hell and may not be possible to work out all bugs.

So my alternative to this is leaving the FWD transmission in, and then mounting a electric motor to the rear differential instead of a driveshaft from the front. Like a electric cart motor or something similar. I would want a simple controller with forward, reverse, and for it to default to neutral (for normal street/highway driving). Not looking for extra speed on launching, just extra traction in mud/snow/sand.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

i am also considering a far cheaper external "AWD" kit from Bush Winch » Self Recovery Systems | Outback Driving

·
2,802 Posts
5 speed auto in it now? So it's a GT?
GT = no Evo swappable drivetrain
The GS uses a 4G6* series engine, exactly same shortblock as Evo 4-9, you want a manual GS if you're really going to put an Evo drivetrain in
You need a GS in general for AWD at all, GS auto might be able to use Endeavor's AWD trans but that's way more complicated than a manual trans still, not sure if it's even ever been done

But the GT just isn't a good setup for swaps of any kind, the 6G75 is a unicorn

·
Registered
641 Posts
OH MY GAWD this is so sweet! I was just talking about this kind of set up in another thread with someone wanting to do the same safari type build. Hot damn that looks fun! Right now I am still in shock those tires just fit under the spring perches on the front struts.

Back to the point. As others have stated, is it a GS or GT? That is going to determine the ease of AWD. The 4 cylinder is just an updated 4Gxx platform that the transmission/case should bolt right up. Its then a matter of attaching the driveline components after that from what I understand. The V6 is a bit different. It has been done with the endeavor parts a couple of times. As TheSlow4g mentioned there is a thread on it. I am struggling to find it at the moment or else I would link it but it is here, its just old. The endeavor parts should bolt up as the geometry and placement of most things should be built to go in the same basic hardpoints. If I recall correctly you will want the front subframe from the endeavor as well and it should go in pretty smoothly. The complicated part is if you have a manual 5 speed GT, there's going to be a lot of work getting the automatic endeavor transmission to talk to the ECU correctly as the manual EDU is missing some programming for the transmission. I believe the GT AWD project from the past used an automatic GT as it was a much smoother process for the ECU to control the transmission. Its been years since I really looked at the technical stuff but Fastowrks or MMC flash might have made progress in being able to just change your base firmware to just become an "automatic" programmed vehicle. The GS turbo guys will have a lot more info and be good resources on that, since they had to add in boost maps and other stuff to their ECUs.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,295 Posts
Right on. I used to daily a crown Vic with a 3" suspension lift and 3" tire lift. I was thinking of doing similar with my GS, including the all wheel drive. Anyhow;

Courtesy of Mr. Heasman, owner of an AWD 6G75 eclipse using Evo components. Adjust as required for an off-road lifted build, as this has a focus on circuit racing:

AWD swap parts required. Quick list. May be missing a few things.

Evo Transmission 5 speed. Evo 8 preferred. But Evo 7-9 ok. 6 speed is weaker.

Evo manual transmission wiring harness. Reverse sensor plugs right into the eclipse plug. But the speed sensor plug is different. And will need spliced into the eclipse harness. Evo 8 only. Others may be different plugs. So a harness to match the transmission you get. Speedometer works well and is accurate with the evo 8 transmission speed sensor.

Transfer case. Evo 7-9. Non ACD. ACD not ideal. But will work.

The 3 shafts to connect the transmission transfer case and front axles. This may come with the transmission or transfer case. But if not will be needed. The one between the transmission and transfer case is usually still in the transmission. But the two for the front axles is normally not as they need to be removed to disconnects the parts.

Rear differential Evo 8 is best but requires more fabrication. Custom mounting brackets to mount It in the endeavor rear subframe. Endeavor rear diff is not as good but easier to install with the factory endeavor mounting brackets. Less fabrication. Evo has a factory LSD. Endeavor does not.

Centre drive shaft. Evo 7-9. Centre drive shaft brackets will need welded in the tunnel. This is slightly too long. The evo has a longer wheel base. But it can be used if mounted correctly. But shortening slightly is ideal. Evo is 1.9" longer wheel base.

All 4 Evo cv axles. Or Evo front and Endeavor rears if using Endeavor rear differential.

Educator ring on evo rear axles will need relocated over to allow abs to still function.

Your original front axles. Evo front inner and Oem front outer axles pieces needed for custom axles.

All cv axles will need to be made custom length with the oem outer pieces.

Stock eclipse speed sensors work ok.

Evo fuel tank. Or modified stock tank. Needs clearance for drive shaft and differential.

Endeavor rear subframe.

Endeavor rear knuckles. Will need custom work done to make the brakes fit. Or use Endeavor rear brakes. Custom ebrakes.

Modified rear toe suspension arm. This car being much lower the toe arm becomes too long. Adjustable modification is best to achieve ideal alignment.

Custom adapter plates to mount evo transmission to the V6. This is the really hard part. ***

But it will bolt to the 4cylinder in the 4G. Not sure of the clutch requirements in the 4 cylinder. But an evo clutch may be your best bet.

With a properly built adapter plate and a custom push conversion throw out bearing plate. With a stock throw out bearing from the V6. An standard V6 clutch and flywheel can be used. But a custom clutch with clutch masters evo push conversion throw out bearing is ideal.

Custom engine mounts. Passenger side on the engine can be reused. But the rest need to be custom.

Custom exhaust to clear drive shaft. Custom mid pipe to clear around transfer case. And possibly custom headers also. I modified my obx long tube headers to make them work.

·
2,802 Posts
The complicated part is if you have a manual 5 speed GT
No such thing, there's only 4 transmissions for our cars, 2 for GS, 2 for GT, 1 manual for each, 1 auto for each

GS:
4 speed auto
5 speed manual

GT:
5 speed auto
6 speed manual

as the manual ECU is missing some programming for the transmission.
The manual ECU is not just missing programming for an auto trans, it is entirely missing electronic components inside that the automatic PCM's have
Entirely impossible for a manual ECU to control an auto trans, at that point you're gonna be using a full donor car wiring harnesses + modules, or selling your car and getting the one you need as we have said many times before

Our Mitsubishi ECU's are unfortunately not as versatile as the early Subaru WRX ones were as far as auto to manual and back
Example: 02-07 WRX's have same exact ECU whether it's auto or manual, the wiring of the trans tells it to go into manual or auto mode and which tables to use; granted if they are an auto, they need a separate TCU module to control the auto trans, so manual to auto wouldn't make sense, but auto to manual was as easy as ripping all the auto stuff out and plugging in a manual trans, then ECU goes into manual trans mode, TCU not necessary
Given that, you also have the clutch switches, neutral position switch, reverse switch, ignition lockout Parking switch, etc. to worry about as well

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry that I wasn't clear, the car is a 2006 Eclipse GT with 3.8L V6 and 5-speed automatic transmission.

So it looks like even after installing the Endeavor rear end, I'd still need custom work for the rear brakes. Not putting my life or passenger's life at risk, so this is a hard no for me. Oh well.

I was also looking at swapping in the OEM struts from an Endeavor for more lift as my lowering coilovers are maxed out in height, but the springs by themselves are not made anymore and I can't find them anywhere online. Closest I can find are used strut assemblies on eBay, which means I'd have to pull the used springs off and then install on new OEM struts/shocks, which is going to cost as much as a new set of coilovers.

·
2,802 Posts
Sorry that I wasn't clear, the car is a 2006 Eclipse GT with 3.8L V6 and 5-speed automatic transmission.

So it looks like even after installing the Endeavor rear end, I'd still need custom work for the rear brakes. Not putting my life or passenger's life at risk, so this is a hard no for me. Oh well.

I was also looking at swapping in the OEM struts from an Endeavor for more lift as my lowering coilovers are maxed out in height, but the springs by themselves are not made anymore and I can't find them anywhere online. Closest I can find are used strut assemblies on eBay, which means I'd have to pull the used springs off and then install on new OEM struts/shocks, which is going to cost as much as a new set of coilovers.
Your problem is that 1) it's a GT, which makes it harder than a GS in the first place, because the Evo trans will bolt right up to the GS engine as the shortblock is the same as an Evo engine, with different bore/stroke/internals/head
And 2) that you have an Auto GT at that

You really want a manual GS if you're gonna attempt this IMO, because otherwise in addition to everything already mentioned, and having the wrong engine, you're also trying to do an auto to manual swap as well, but you can try if you want

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Close-up of Toyo All Country AT 245/65r17 & Godspeed coilovers.

Bull bar installation.

Endeavor strut spacers

Wheel spacers, 1.5"

Front anti-sway bar delete. Still very steady on the road, due to upgraded rear anti sway bar and stiff coilovers.

·
2,802 Posts
Because my new daily driver is tuned/lowered, and I don't need two of the same. I've always liked the Battlecar stance and the Eclipse was the perfect opportunity to try something new. And you know what? It's a fricking BLAST on a forest trail!
That's cool, I'm sure it does a lot better with those tires on it lol
What's that other car, Accord? some Hyundai?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's cool, I'm sure it does a lot better with those tires on it lol
What's that other car, Accord? some Hyundai?
It's a 9th gen Accord V6 manual. Nearly identical setup as the 4th gen Eclipse GT, except it's 10 years newer and more refined.

Which is kinda why I reversed my vision on the Eclipse, it just looked like a older more beat up version of the Accord. I wanted the Eclipse to be unique on its own.

·
Registered
641 Posts
No such thing, there's only 4 transmissions for our cars, 2 for GS, 2 for GT, 1 manual for each, 1 auto for each

GS:
4 speed auto
5 speed manual

GT:
5 speed auto
6 speed manual

The manual ECU is not just missing programming for an auto trans, it is entirely missing electronic components inside that the automatic PCM's have
Entirely impossible for a manual ECU to control an auto trans, at that point you're gonna be using a full donor car wiring harnesses + modules, or selling your car and getting the one you need as we have said many times before

Our Mitsubishi ECU's are unfortunately not as versatile as the early Subaru WRX ones were as far as auto to manual and back
Example: 02-07 WRX's have same exact ECU whether it's auto or manual, the wiring of the trans tells it to go into manual or auto mode and which tables to use; granted if they are an auto, they need a separate TCU module to control the auto trans, so manual to auto wouldn't make sense, but auto to manual was as easy as ripping all the auto stuff out and plugging in a manual trans, then ECU goes into manual trans mode, TCU not necessary
Given that, you also have the clutch switches, neutral position switch, reverse switch, ignition lockout Parking switch, etc. to worry about as well
:oops: You're right, thats embarassing. The GS had the 5speed. I got myself turned around lol. I'm in a final exam week, so anything outside of classwork and my brain runs a trickle feed. I guess I was trying to get at was get the base car that has the transmission setup as either the auto/manual that you will need. ^^^That looks good though. Said much better and more accurately than I did. 🖐high five!

·
2,802 Posts
:oops: You're right, thats embarassing. The GS had the 5speed. I got myself turned around lol. I'm in a final exam week, so anything outside of classwork and my brain runs a trickle feed. I guess I was trying to get at was get the base car that has the transmission setup as either the auto/manual that you will need. ^^^That looks good though. Said much better and more accurately than I did. 🖐high five!
Oh yeah schools coming to an end here too so I feel u on that! It’s been rough with COVID

But it’s more so that the GS has the engine you need to mount Evo parts up, not specifically the trans

The GS manual would definitely be the one to be taking a liking to the most amount of swappable Evo parts

That said, idk where or how much $ people are paying for these Evo drivetrains and such anyway, they seem $$$$ to me; I mean, you literally have to find a wrecked Evo in the first place and part it out

Now building the engine with aftermarket parts designed for the Evo 4G63, like striker pistons and such, now that’s easier to get ahold of such parts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As I mentioned in my first post, I recognize the superior drivetrain capabilities of the Evo, but I'm not inclined to embark on an Endeavor that costly, financially or time-wise. I simply want to bolt up an AWD/4WD automatic transmission & send it.

If I did get my hands on a good Evo drivetrain, I'd just build on that car. I want to spend more time on the track & trails, and less time turning wrenches & pulling hair.

I emailed BushWinch with my request (their product is custom-fitted to specific wheels, not at all a universal product) and post any updates.

I am also looking at electrifying the rear wheels somehow. Maybe a front-end wrecked electric car or some golf cart engines. There's an experimental Civic Type-R out there with rear electric rotors for E-AWD. Something like that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Just finished up servicing my rear coilovers & brakes. Everything held together remarkably well after the thrashing I gave it at the Gambler 500 last weekend. Funny thing is I accidentally had the dampers set to super stiff the entire time!

Changes: Maxed out the height on the rear coilovers, that plus the Endeavor strut spacer equals 32" from the ground to the top of the wheel arch, and my minimum ground clearance is a full 10" (exhaust pipe is now the lowest part underneath).

I cut the bump stopper in half (2" down to 1") which increases my strut travel from 3" to 4". For comparison, the KYB (OEM replacement) rear strut for the Eclipse is about 5½" stroke length, and the Endeavor's is 7¼". I may remove the bump stopper entirely if I feel it won't damage anything - the factory rear struts I pulled off an Endeavor today don't have any bump stoppers.

The Endeavor's struts supposedly fit the Galant & Eclipse. I tested fitted a set of factory rear struts from an Endeavor. The top hat has a mound in the center between the studs, and won't fit the Eclipse, it's close, but about a half inch before the two surfaces come in contact fully. There are two options: widen the center hole on the Eclipse by about half an inch, or swap the Eclipse's top hat onto the Endeavor strut. I don't have my factory struts anymore so I will have to go pull a set of those as well.

The reason why I'm going through all this trouble is to develope and perfect two different suspension setups. The coilovers are setup for autocrossing asphalt, gravel & hardpack trails, while the modified Endeavor struts will be setup for sand, mud, & minor rocky terrain. I'll have the anti-sway bar hooked up with the coilovers installed, and disconnect them when I have the Endeavor struts on for maximum articulation.

Tomorrow I'm going to service the front end like I did the rear, & also test fit the Endeavor struts. Then I'll hit a local trail for a shakedown run and final adjustments.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I've been having a lot of fun with this setup! I do get a lot of "AWD swap it" and "throw 33" boggers on it".

Nah. This thing is as comfortable on the highway as it is on the trail, can make u-turns even tighter than stock, doesn't get horrible gas mileage, and maintenance is a breeze. I'll drive it as long as I can realistically.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts