Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
2,803 Posts
View attachment 102354

I've been having a lot of fun with this setup! I do get a lot of "AWD swap it" and "throw 33" boggers on it".

Nah. This thing is as comfortable on the highway as it is on the trail, can make u-turns even tighter than stock, doesn't get horrible gas mileage, and maintenance is a breeze. I'll drive it as long as I can realistically.

View attachment 102355
It’s an auto GT right?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It’s an auto GT right?
Yup. Not much I can do drivetrain wise. I figure, get all the fun I can out of this car, and one day when something expensive like the trans or engine goes out, switch over to a GT manual. I'll have have better options then, such as upgrading to an LSD.

·
2,803 Posts
Yup. Not much I can do drivetrain wise. I figure, get all the fun I can out of this car, and one day when something expensive like the trans or engine goes out, switch over to a GT manual. I'll have have better options then, such as upgrading to an LSD.
Yeah pretty much, just enjoy it as is

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse
15 Posts
You surely had fun with the upgrade of this car. I like your choice of wheels it is so stylish.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm at it again. This weekend I will be installing factory Endeavor struts for even better off-road capabilities! On the left is the Godspeed coilovers, on the right is a freshly-rebuilt Endeavor strut. Notice the extra droop, that's important for maintaining traction accross uneven terrain.

Here are the rear coilovers side by side. The Endeavor is way bigger, even with the Godspeeds fully maxed out and with a strut spacer!

New KYB shocks/struts all around, plus a new tophat for the front set. I had to pull struts from the auto salvage yard due to the springs not being manufactured or sold anywhere.

A "slight" modification to the rear strut tower to get the Endeavor strut to sit, it has a larger center bulge than the Eclipse's. Front struts didn't need this as they were about the same size.

Eclipse spring on the left, Endeavor on the right. The Endeavor spring is 1mm thicker.

Although the bolt pattern is the same, the spring cross section (total diameter) is different. It is not possible to fit a Eclipse top hat onto an Endeavor strut. It's all or nothing!

New KYB Endeavor shock/strut on left, old Eclipse on the right. Same overall length, but notice the rod tips, the Eclipse's go farther into the top hat, effectively lowering the overall height.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
And...done! 4 freshly rebuilt Endeavor struts installed on an Eclipse! I took it for a brief spin, I can make very tight turns without rubbing, there's no noise, and it feels both solid and flexible. Now, it's time for a [mud] bath!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Upgraded the suspension with full-sized Endeavor struts (was on Godspeed coilovers). I can roll over curbs, center dividers, and 1st-gen Miatas like they weren't even there!

Upgraded my roof storage system too, it's secured by bottom-mounted brackets (hidden) instead of straps. The lids are waterproof and have hinges on both sides for easy access. Wind tested to 80mph, no problems.

Also made a small change to my license plate frame 😁 License plate flips up and down depending on whether the bike rack is in the up or down position.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts