Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

Best way to gut stock headers?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jayannon 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has gutted the stock manifolds? If so, what did you guys do to do it? Did you guys just stick a metal stick and hammer away?

#2 ·
Yes. The honey comb material is pretty brittle. I took a giant crow bar and just beat the contents of the interior out. Make sure to blast it with air once you get it all out so you're not getting CAT material sucked back into your engine once installed back on the car.

#3 ·
I've heard of someone using a sawzall , someone said they used a long drill bit and just mulled it around . I just used a piece of pipe I had laying around with a hammer , breaks apart pretty easy especially when their old and baked , I did have to pick the cotton out by hand then ran an airline through to clean it . Probably one of the easiest and most beneficial mods I've done to my vehicle 🙂 Breaking those 02 sensors loose was the toughest part . In fact I stripped the special 02 socket , and the socket itself , had to take it to a shop and use their flame and a big ass pipe wrench . The rest was simple 🙂 Still code free a month later too

#6 ·
I have the 2.4 liter 4 Cylinder GS , I've heard the GT is a real nightmare in the rear . My passenger side 02 came off no prob but the drivers I soaked for a week in advance and me and a friend both jumping on a breaker bar didn't even budge it . Had my friend take a torch it to multiple times with a giant plumbers wrench lol . For breaking the material I just used a really big flat head screwdriver and a small hammer , took me maybe 10-15 to get it into pieces small enough to fall out of the holes , sometimes the cotton plugs the holes and you gotta pull it out by hand , if your not a fan of fiberglass I'd recommend gloves too , i did it bare hand and was wiping sweat and my face was red n itchy all day lol . And of course you wanna make sure you run some strong air through or you can run water through and let it dry . That cotton getting sucked in the engines no good .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.