Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I recently bought a 2006 gs with sun and sound package and I have a problem with the fan. When I switch it to 1 or 2 nothing happens while 3 and 4 work. When I turn AC on, I here the compressor fire up but the fan doesn't turn on until 3 and 4, at which point, the ac turns off.

I tried searching the forum but couldn't find where the blower switch resistor is. Can anyone help me out?

Thank you.

·
Hard Core 4ger
11,973 Posts
probably a problem in the switch or the wire harness or possibly a fuse or relay. if you are comfortable pulling you dash covers off you can look and see if you see anything, otherwise, you may be stuck w/ a trip to the shop.

good luck, wish I could be of more help.

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same problem, I have everything torn apart right now, but the sun set. Will look into it over the next few days and reply. Here is a link I found Car Questions Answered - my 2006 eclipse has ac problem. no fan on 1or2 3and 4 have - JustAnsw
Thank you, that's the exact problem I'm having. I'll have to try to find the blower motor over the next couple of days

·
Registered
154 Posts
I ripped the glove box out last night. going outside to remove the panels behind the glove right now. im going to take the whole assembly out so i can clean the fan while im at it. ill take pics to help you out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
removed the blower and cleaned it. I will upload pics later tonight. no luck finding the problem yet, but will look further into it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
14,209 Posts
nah i never resistor :naughty:

:lmfao: im proud of those who get that

·
Registered
154 Posts
AS OF NOW, THIS INFORMATION IS ONLY FOR CLEANING THE BLOWER. I will add more about the electrical aspect if I can figure it out.

To start, I checked all fuses that relate to the air controls, both inside the car and under the hood. No Problems.

Tools:
Phillips Screw Driver (you will need a short one for part of this)
Large Flat Head Driver
Hands and Beer (I mean patience)

Long Post Part 1:
I DO NOT SUGGEST DOING THIS FIRST PART BECAUSE IT IS A PAIN (unless I discover something later down the road)- Last night i removed the air control face (pulls straight off) and disassembled the unit (4 or 5 phillips screws, and a bunch of T10-torx screws). I looked at all the electrical components to see if anything was fried. I saw no visible signs of problems but I never measured anything with a meter. I took apart the switch and cleaned the contacts. I used a jumper wire to test the contacts. Everything is functioning properly as far as I know at this point.

Part 2, Important Part:
Today I removed the glove compartment to access the blower. (If you do this, be ready to sit completely the wrong way in your car. Its kinda like one of those awkward things you and your girl might try.)

1) Remove the glove box (remove the string on the right side that supports the unit. The whole clip slides off). There are three hinges that can be removed by using a flat head driver to press upwards on the part attached to the glove.
Glove Box Hinges:

Pivot Point Under Dash:

2) Behind the glove box is another cover that can be removed by removing 4 screws and carefully pulling towards the rear of the car (sorry 2 screws arent in the pic but they are near the red lines).
In:

Removed:

You do not have to remove this, however I did so I can see the whole wire harness.
Harness:

3) You need a small phillips screw driver (I used a ratchet driver) to remove the cover under the blower. 6 screws: 3 are easy, 2 hard to reach, 1 is a b*tch.
Cover:

4) Unplug the blower (two black wires w/ plug n play connector). There are 3 torx screws that are also made to be removed with a flat head. The blower will drop straight down.
Screws:

Blower Removed:

5) I used ear-swabs to clean every fin because the blower would vibrate and it was annoying. Hoping it is the dust causing it to be unbalanced. Also, I vacuumed the recirculation filter from the inside the vent.
Filter:

Tomorrow I will look at the electrical aspect. Hope this helped somewhat.

Reactions: Daxenth

·
Premium Member
14,209 Posts
+ rep for that sir! never would i have guessed all of that is tucked behind the glove box

·
Registered
154 Posts
I found the problem. Will make the write-up late tonight.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You will need to do this step:
2) Behind the glove box is another cover that can be removed by removing 4 screws and carefully pulling towards the rear of the car (sorry 2 screws arent in the pic but they are near the red lines).
In:

Removed:

Harness:
Continuing my prior post:
6) The blower does not need to be out for this step. To the left of the blower there is a vent tube. On top is the electrical component that I removed.
Component Location:

To remove this you need a phillips driver (no longer than 1-1/2"). There are 2 screws. Also the harness release tab is towards the front of the car. I left it on while removing the screws because I could not unplug it while in.
Screws:

7) My guess is that this is a plate resistor. I've never seen one before but the gs doesnt have climate control, so I cannot see it being a transistor (as it would be on the GT).
Unit:

There are four prongs. My guess is that one supplies power. The other 3 run to the blow speed switch. I assume those 3 are for speeds 1-3 and speed 4 uses a straight power source (if this is true, I would have a clue as to why the ac wont work on 4). Using an ohm meter I found that there are two connections. I show them with red dots and blue dots in the next pic. The unit is corroded as shown in the second pic.
2 separate connections H to M2 and M1 to L (H is power, not sure what the others are yet. Will find out tomorrow.):

Corrosion:

To be continued again tomorrow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you. I've been busy this week with clients, I'm hoping I'll have time to tear it apart tomorrow or over the weekend.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Forgot to post the diagram:

This is fromMitsuoem

1) Blower assy 2.4 liter 2) Heater duct 3) Blower case 4) Fan and motor 5) Air valve 6) Transistor 3.8 liter 7) Actuator 8) Resistor

#6 is for climate control, which 2.4l doesnt have. But if you have the GT and climate control, I am guessing this is what you have in place of the resistor. It does make sense as the resistor would allow for setting the blower speed with without interruption. However, the transistor would allow for the signal to amplify and decrease depending on the temperature or whatever the measurement used would be (this measurement would be determined by a separate sensor), hence climate control.

Again, I am still guessing at the moment, but I will look for evidence before I spend $18.55 on a resistor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thx, your detailed instructions saved me a lot of money and time. i got the resistor from mitsu for $36 and it fixed my problem

·
Registered
154 Posts
thx, your detailed instructions saved me a lot of money and time. i got the resistor from mitsu for $36 and it fixed my problem
were you having problems with your ac compressor on 3 and 4? and no blower on 1 and 2?

·
4,111 Posts
Thank you Dookeman, great write-up that will save our members time, money, and fustration at the dealership!!

I knew we had a problem with our AC resistor which cause a problem with the blower motor, and thankes to you we now know where it's located and it's an easy fix for under $40.00.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thank you Dookeman, great write-up that will save our members time, money, and fustration at the dealership!!

I knew we had a problem with our AC resistor which cause a problem with the blower motor, and thankes to you we now know where it's located and it's an easy fix for under $40.00.
Thank you. I have more to upload, but I will not be able to do so until later in the week. Also, I ordered the part, and w/ shipping it is around $25.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts